Shipping Firearms to Alaska

Guest CE4life:(

Does anyone know what the requirements are for shipping personal firearms to AK? I'm on my first PCS and have a bolt action rifle I want to take with me. Am I supposed to have TMO move it, or do I keep it on me and just put it in check baggage on the plane? I also considered having some family FedEX it to me once I find a permanent residence. I have a TDY enroute so I don't know if that will make a difference or not. The main point is: I'm not driving and want to know what's the proper way to move my rifle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest getting a Pelican rifle case and a good padlock...the requirement for checking it for flight is that it has to be a lockable container, intended for weapons transportation, and that it's unloaded/ammo separated. Basically you show the people who you check in with that you have those three covered, then close the case and lock it - that's it.

You could ship it to yourself through an FFL dealer, but I believe there's 30 dollar fees on either end plus shipping costs, plus what are you going to transport it in? You're still going to have to buy a decent case (unless you have one already). Oh and certain states have time requirements to hold on to a weapon before they can give it to you, the waiting period, even if it's already your gun in the first place.

I'd think the airline flight might be the way to go, but I'd certainly call the airline in advance and do the legwork of what's necessary.

I had a roommate who separated from the AF, and elected to sell his vehicle here and fly home rather than DITY move back home. In his case he brought his guns with him and checked them (AR-15, AK-47, shotguns, handguns, etc. He had a decent collection.), and Pelican cases and locks for all.

I think he meant with his household goods. If so, here's the "checklist" of what you are suppose to bring when you set up the move with TMO...

When meeting with your counselor, be sure to also bring the following:

Six (6) legible copies of the member's orders (per shipment)

Proof of dependents, from the member's service record

Dependent Entry Approval

A Power of Attorney or Letter of Authorization, notarized or countersigned by a commissioned officer, if someone other than the member will be signing documents on the member's behalf

Information on prior shipments if household goods will need to be moved from a location other than the member's current residence

The registration for any motorized vehicle, motorcycle, boat or trailer that is being shipped

The make, caliber, and serial number of any firearm being shipped

For a home of record move, in addition to the above, members will need to bring two (2) copies of their enlistment contract or officer home of record papers, and two (2) copies of every set of orders received up to the current duty station (this additional paperwork is required to correctly calculate the entitlement)

Cheers! M2

I'd take it via airline, personally. I'm worried that the lovely crew they hired to take my crap will steal the toaster oven, let alone a weapon.

'sides, it's really not that hard to transport a weapon via airline. Hard cases aren't that much, and aren't that hard to come by.

Guest AKANGselectee

The movers catalogue each firearm by make, caliber, serial #, etc. They are either shipped in your case or wrapped for protection. The entirety of your firearms are then secured separately though still shipped in the containers with your other goods. All of my weapons made it safely from Alaska to Oklahoma, including my pistols. Why waste a checked bag for a rifle unless you need it immediately upon arrival in Alaska? Bear season is essentially over in less than fifteen days from now and caribou and sheep doesn't start until August 10. You have plenty of time to get ready. Good luck and message with any other moving questions for Alaska. I'm headed back there next April, which is not soon enough to get out of Oklahoma!

Edited by AKANGselectee

I agree, unless the rifle is one of those they have in the special display room at Bass Pro Shop, you won't have any problems shipping it in your HHG. Heck, I shipped motorcycles in my HHG all the time with little problems (minor damage). Just be sure all the paperwork is in order, and worst case something happens, you get a new rifle. But to be honest, I don't think movers will want to deal with the hassle of losing a firearm in a move. A toaster is a different story...

Cheers! M2

You can also drive firearms (no pistols) through Canada if you're driving up. There is some paperwork and fees, I think $50 Canadian (i.e 73 cents or so) per rifle. I've flown with weapons and found it no big deal. Also sent with movers, they will make an enormous production of it, which is fine, just means there is no question on insurance. Personally I've worried more about airline folks swiping guns than TMO, but never had a problem. Good luck

Thanks everyone. I think I will just get a good hard case and have TMO take it up there. I assume they do all the paperwork at the time the movers arive to move my stuff. It's my first move though so the whole thing is a learning experience. I won't get up to AK until mid august after a good time an alabama so it's good to hear that the hunting seasons will just be gearing up. I really can't wait till bear season next year. Grizzly bear rugs kick @ss and I have a .300 win mag to take names.