Thoughts on Embry Riddle (ERAU)

Guest that drumin guy

In my opinion its more of a money hole, though it is a good school. I go to the University of North Dakota, and our flight program doesn't cost half as much as ERAU. We have beat ERAU several times at the college flying competitions. I also know a few people that transferred here from both Orlando and Prescott, and they said that UND was way better. We have airlines come here all the time hiring our flight instructors with reduced time minimums specfically for UND grads. You should come check us out... if you can handle the cold its well worth it!

And my friends said ERAU was way better, and airlines hire guys with less then minimum time just for ERAU grads... Plus 35% of all airline pilot went to Riddle and it's not -30F half of the year. Obviously Riddle is a better choice.

*sarcasm off*

Edited by MCO

Hey no offense taken PortDog. I do already know that Aerospace Engineering will be a hard course, but is it harder than mechanical engineering for example? Any engineers have an opinion on this?

yes, some engineers have a distinctive funky scent. no offense guys, but it wouldn't hurt to splash around in some water every once in a while. i can say that because some of my friends are well on their way to becoming good engineers in more ways than one. :vomit:

I agree with Port Dog on this one. Don't do engineering unless it's free or you REALLY want to be a engineer...because the work load is just not worth it.

If you're looking at ERAU for AE, I think you should also consider Parks College of St. Louis University, obviously in St. Louis. The price is probably similar with a good location, tons of hot nursing/teaching chicks, a flight department, and a pretty good aeronautical engineering program. Oh yeah, they have AFROTC also.

I went to ERAU Daytona and graduated in 1999. I had a 4 year AFROTC ride, extended to 5 years and majored in Aero Engineering. It was excellent. The school is very well respected in the civilian world, and is always in the top 5 Aero schools in the country without a PhD offered (this includes service academies and some other very well-known schools). You won't get a better AE education, and if you like aviation, ERAU is the place to be. From English to History professors, everyone that teaches there knows that you are interested in aviation, and chances are good that they are also.

There are other non-flying degrees to fall back on if you botch the AE program, but if you are a hard worker, have decent time management skills, and like math/science, there is no reason you won't do well. Drop me a line in you want to know more.

Guest Jackie
And my friends said ERAU was way better, and airlines hire guys with less then minimum time just for ERAU grads... Plus 35% of all airline pilot went to Riddle and it's not -30F half of the year. Obviously Riddle is a better choice.

*sarcasm off*

UND doesn't have the rich snobby kids here... plus the cold makes you tougher! Not many people can say they've flown in -30 degrees weather in the winter and 100 degrees in the summer... and have 4-5 blizzards a year... at least. You also have a chance to go a "normal" college and all that accompanies it... unlike ERAU. Oh, and we have the best college hockey team in the nation. Obviously UND is the better choice. :)

If you feel motivated do it, but just know that if you ever want to change your major there are not that many options. And, most of them are course specific, so its really hard to switch over. That being said, the det here is amazing, and the cadre literally will jump through hoops to help you succeed.

UND doesn't have the rich snobby kids here... plus the cold makes you tougher! Not many people can say they've flown in -30 degrees weather in the winter and 100 degrees in the summer... and have 4-5 blizzards a year... at least. You also have a chance to go a "normal" college and all that accompanies it... unlike ERAU. Oh, and we have the best college hockey team in the nation. Obviously UND is the better choice. :)

Daytona Beach, North Pole, Daytona Beach, North Pole.....right.

Yea, no offense, but Sunny Beach > North Dakota any day. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against cold climates, I live in one, but the prospect of living near a beach as opposed to a windswept tundra of snow and coldness is just too attractive. Plus there's the fact that ERAU has an excellent AE program.

• 1 year later...

thread revival...

I'm doing my masters through ERAU (MAS in Aviation Safety) for those playing at home...I'm interested in taking ASCI 516 "Applications in CRM", but I'm curious how time-consuming the online course is...I've taken a couple online classes that had a 3-page paper due almost every week, and I've had others where there's been much less active participation required. So who here's taken it within the last year or so and can shed some light?

thread revival...

I'm doing my masters through ERAU (MAS in Aviation Safety) for those playing at home...I'm interested in taking ASCI 516 "Applications in CRM", but I'm curious how time-consuming the online course is...I've taken a couple online classes that had a 3-page paper due almost every week, and I've had others where there's been much less active participation required. So who here's taken it within the last year or so and can shed some light?

Online courses have sometimes been compared to sucking a huge donkey dick. I did my masters through ERAU and only took one online course, I wish I had taken zero. If you have to take one you have to, suck it up (the donkey dick). Yes, you have a paper due every week, the class cost more and takes longer. The pain is not worth it. I would rather eat glass, or spent the weekend discussing politics with Vertigo and CAVEMAN.

Just my .02 dollars.

Guest Krabs
I would rather eat glass, or spent the weekend discussing politics with Vertigo and CAVEMAN.

Now imagine doing half a decade at the ACTUAL school.

I don't have a choice. There's not an ERAU campus here. So I do the online gig. Do you have relevant info to add about the specific class I'm asking about?

I don't have a choice. There's not an ERAU campus here. So I do the online gig. Do you have relevant info to add about the specific class I'm asking about?

Nope I only took ASCI 613 Airport Operations Safety online. Never took 516. The only thing that can be good about online is all the paper you write durring the class can be combined into your final paper for that class. 5t is like they force you to start it early.

I would rather eat glass, or spent the weekend discussing politics with Vertigo and CAVEMAN.

Ba-Dum-Ching!

:notworthy:

Shit I really need to re-look at myself If I'm being lumped in with Caveman. I know we've disagreed on a couple things but c'mon... that's a bit low. ;)

I'm gonna be perfectly honest, I read not one response to this thread but the title intrigued me... for a couple of reasons

1) I'm sure it says something to the effect of; what degree will get me my pilots slot if I go to ERAU? I thought the same thing when I went to Embry Ridiculous

2) I ended up going to Ridiculous for a year and getting my a$$ kicked by the academics there/lack of time to concentrate on each subject, the excuses are plentiful...

3) I transferred/switched degrees and STILL got my pilot slot with a NON-TECHNICAL degree, that was in 03, and have been flying the Herk since 04 and wouldn't change a damn thing.

So my opinion, from someone who's done the ridiculousness that is ERAU and a state school and the tech vs non-tech degree... I would do it the same way I ended up going minus the 1 year brain fart I took at erau, hell I would've saved myself a metric sh!t ton of money if I had completely bypassed that place to begin with.

Anyways I'm on tdy and am drunk posting... cheers :beer:

Oh, so you want to get all technical on me and ask me to provide useful information....

If you have to do online and online only, have at it, but stock up on plenty of anal lubricant. You will need it.

Now if you want something more than that you need to provide more info:

1. How long do you have to get your degree?

2. How many assignments do you plan to have between now and then?

3. What USAF equivalent classes can you take and get credit?

I started my masters in 03 finished in 08. Got credit for 5 classes by doing SOS, ACSC and Safety school took one class online and the rest at the 2 bases I was assigned at during that time.

I've already taken a fair number of ERAU classes online. I'm already down that road. All I want to know is about that SPECIFIC class. Was my request ambiguous in my original post?

I've already taken a fair number of ERAU classes online. I'm already down that road. All I want to know is about that SPECIFIC class. Was my request ambiguous in my original post?

Well, now that I went back and read it.... Ah, you were talking about a specific class. My bad.