Gun Talk

VL-16

Oh, and speaking of new acquisitions; snagged this yesterday...

100_1233.jpg

It appears one of the previous owners tried to put tiger stripes on it (barely visible in the above pic, which is from the seller), the guy I bought it from said it was painted black when he got it and he stripped it down and refinished it the best he could. I already got a cleaning rod and black Chinese sling for it at the local gun show yesterday, and spent a lot of yesterday afternoon cleaning it up. The gas piston was a bit of a mess, but I got that sorted. I snagged it because 1) it was cheap and the seller threw in three 30-round mags, a 10-round one and 90 rounds of ammo in the deal and 2) I have a SKS-M with a Monte Carlo stock and needed a thumbhole version to fill out the collection.

Cheers! M2

Guest FullOtto

I visit gunboards but dont post much. You ask a question about a K-98 or whatever and the freakshows who live there bash you for asking said stupid question.

I like forums where a newb can ask how to clean his rifle and not get a "use the search" or "you are too stupid to own a gun" type of reply. It's a hobby for fun and I think some dudes take it way too seriously in the forum etiquette.

SKSs are my favorite. I collect AKs but I love to shoot the SKS more, it has that rifle feel, great sights and its fun to reload.

Loaded up when they were $80 shipped in cosmo from AIM. Every kid should have one. I hope they come back in great numbers again from anywhere.

Getting ready for TMO to come, and 10K 10 cases of this does not help.

20110330_IMG_03254.JPG

Hopefully will offload most dead weight and re-buy at next location.

Upon packing my stuff, I think my wife IS right. TOO many guns :rock:

Edited by FullOtto

Brother, if you need to rid yourself some of those AK-47s before you pack out, let me know. I'm sure you'll pass through San Antonio on your way out of Corpus... :rock:

Cheers! M2

Guest FullOtto

Cheers! M2

I could LAPES em off I35!

For separations. do you still get to DITY? I think I have a few thousand pounds based on Tula alone.

I shoulda got with you a couple of years back, we do AK builds by the 10s here every other months.

I could LAPES em off I35!

I'm good with that, just let me know where I can pick up the pallet! :rock:

I shoulda got with you a couple of years back, we do AK builds by the 10s here every other months.

Damn, would've been nice. What took ya so long to find the forum?!? :bash:

I've got no shortage of AKs, I just am a bit insatiable when it comes to them. I just ordered six sets of Balkans War battlefield pick-up furniture from Apex, this is the pic they had with the ad…

Balkan_Battlefield_3_Stock_Sets.jpg

Im hoping to do a BFPU Romanian when I get a chance, Ive got a SAR-1 and a WASR-10/63 but both are in pretty good shape and Im gonna try and find a WASR that is already a bit beat-up so I wont feel so bad when I put steel-wool to the receiver. Ive got a Khyber Pass complete with a AK-74 folding stock and Russian red furniture on it but it is in pristine condition. I also plan to build another that looks more like it was picked up off the plains of Afghanistan.

AKs can be very addicting, and the thing most people find odd is that I don't own a single AR!

For separations. do you still get to DITY? I think I have a few thousand pounds based on Tula alone.

I don't see what not. Unless you are separating under less-than-honorable conditions, you should be entitled. And even then, all those folks need is a letter from their convening authority authorizing their dependents and stuff to be moved, if I recall correctly.

Cheers! M2

M2: I want an AK and I don't know jack shit about them. I want one that looks decent and runs perfect. I want a fixed stock, I like the wood furniture, and I'd like to mount an Aimpoint.

Tell me what to buy or sell me one of yours! I'll pick it up in SA.

Guest FullOtto

We built a Khyber, tough to get triangle stocks these days. Great success on gunkoting (haigh-5). Only had a fingerprint on one gun, my BG Krink :( All in all, a neat experience to build so many but worn out. Too bad parts kits are $50 still.

I am separating but going Guard, but the gaining unit wont pick up the PCS bill, so it falls on USAF I think, what a pain its going to be to file a voucher to a unit youre not at anymore.

I had a login in the forum before but it must have disappeared. After a day of Navy flying the last thing I wanted to read was flying with USAF drama. So I took the blue pill :darkcloud:

Sometimes its endless depressing news. I find it much easier to BS about hobbies at the end of a day or talk non shop stuff.

There are many days we just sit in the Sq and look at gun stuff or talk guns all day while the golfers and knitters give us odd looks :rock:

BEAVER: atlanticfirearms has a good AK selection but they arent made for red dots unless you put some serious money in em, then its almost pointless.

Just get a good AK with a CHROME barrel and is fixed stock, no folding stuff, and you wont go wrong. AIMsurplus is my fav place but they dont always have them in stock.

maybe Beaver will get into them enough to build!

Yugo parts, but no 90210 stickers or cool art on them.

feb2006txC-%20029.jpg

Beaver

An AK build is not something you want to undertake unless you have to tools and know-how to do so. This site gives you a good idea of what it takes just to build one. Obviously if you buy the receiver already built it's a bit easier, but it's still a lot of work that requires skill and expertise!

Best to wait until some of the bigger online places (AIM, J&G, etc) have some in stock. For an entry-level AK, I would suggest something Romanian; but understand that many that are built by Century Arms have been known to have canted front sights and gas blocks, so it's always preferable to be able to look the rifle over before buying.

As for a "looks decent and runs perfect" AK, as long as you don't hang all that TAPCO crap on one, it will be easy to accomplish the former. As for the latter, there's one thing that is tough to do and that is break an AK! They are definitely NOT a finicky rifle!

Cheers! M2

As for a "looks decent and runs perfect" AK, as long as you don't hang all that TAPCO crap on one, it will be easy to accomplish the former.

A buddy of mine who's also an AK nut calls those rifles "TAPCO-fucked".

Guest FullOtto

as a guy who just built a crate of em, trust me, DONT BUILD IT! buy one already made. The advantage to building is when you could get a kit for $40 and a receiver for $80 and have a full AK made for less than $200 in parts and change.

The only reason to build one now with todays prices on stuff is to make some far off custom AK that you just must have because you saw it in a movie (can you get me the gun of Rambo?)

Also beware of gunshow AKs. Back in the 80s and 90s all AKs here were made nicely from China or Hungary. Then later Century made a deal with Romania to make cheap AKs then US makers started making AKs with less than perfect parts and quality. So there is more crap out there now to contend with.

If you are gonna by one and just finished deploying ($$$), buy a good one and have no regrets.

out of stock and looks like a 74 but this one is good. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1ASGL2161&name=Russian+Arsenal+SGL21+Saiga+7.62x39+Rifle&groupid=11

this one has a chrome barrel as well, and looks like a solid build.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct947.aspx

IAC47WOOD.jpg

Speaking of AKs, I just got in six sets of Romanian furniture that were battlefield pick-ups during the Balkans war...

IMG_5969.jpg

IMG_5966.jpg

IMG_5964.jpg

IMG_5960.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

And I've actually been to the town of Međugorje that's on the round sticker in the last pic. It's located in western Bosnia about 25 km southwest of Mostar and close to the border of Croatia. Since 1981, it has become a popular site of religious pilgrimage due to reports of apparitions of the Virgin Mary to six local Catholics.

And no, the red stars are not on the one sticker, I put them there to keep this thread from being NSFW! :nob:

Cheers! M2

Guest FullOtto

Thats pretty cool stuff. I cant imagine those stickers would last long in TX heat. I got some Serbian wood with notches carved in it...eery.

I love "trench art," especially from the Balkans. My Yugo M72 RPK has names carved in all over it...

IMG_4322.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

And of course there is "Natasha" my Yugo SKS...

IMG_48102.jpg

IMG_4809.jpg

:rock:

These stock sets will most likely remain off weapons, unless I get around to building the Bosnian BFPU I've been thinking about; at which point it will be a tough decisions between the sweet rack or the one with the Međugorje sticker on it. Of course the Bosniak crescent moon would be pretty cool as well...it is from the flag of the Bosnian Revolt of the 1830s and later of Independent Bosnia in 1878

Cheers! M2

Guest FullOtto

wow that natasha is way cool! Makes you wonder what dude had all that time, cause it looks pretty even and spaced out. Then the script is perfect on it as well.

Any peeps reading the board, an SKS is a great AK-starter gun, highly recommended. Free cosmoline.

Guest FullOtto

Dang timbon, threw me for a ride.

My dad just got the Sig 1911. I must say its pretty nice!

I am not into larger than 9mm calibers but the 1911s look so classic, one day I may get the chiapa .22 version.

Anyone have a Marlin 336 in 30-30? I'm sure some here must and I'm looking to get a used one at a fair price. Never owned one before so any advice on what to look for (other than functioning obviously) or reasonable prices for the NW FL area is appreciated.

Anyone have a Marlin 336 in 30-30? I'm sure some here must and I'm looking to get a used one at a fair price. Never owned one before so any advice on what to look for (other than functioning obviously) or reasonable prices for the NW FL area is appreciated.

There is a pawn shop/gun store on the south side of Hey 98 in between Navarre and Gulf Breeze that used to have a really good selection of lever action rifles. I did most of my transfers to them when I lived there.

Always hunted with a Marlin 30/30 as a kid, very versatile weapon. I also have a Winchester Model 94 22 LR that perfect for small game.

My next lever action is pictured below:

h004m-bgmagnum-z.jpg

Marlin 1895STBL in 45-70 currently on my shopping list!

Sexy gun man.

There is a pawn shop/gun store on the south side of Hey 98 in between Navarre and Gulf Breeze that used to have a really good selection of lever action rifles. I did most of my transfers to them when I lived there.

Funny you mention that shop; I was taking a trip from Navarre to Lowe's in Gulf Breeze and stopped in there to see what he had. Actually didn't have a 336 in 30-30 which surprised the guy and he said come back in a month or so and he's probably have a few or could get one transferred there if I really wanted. I'll be sure to check back.