Gun Talk

VL-16

Still haven't shot it, but I snagged another four boxes of Webley .455 this afternoon after we were visiting Gruene (Cabela's in Buda is about a half hour north of there). There was no specific limitation on ammo, just a sign stating that the store had a right to do so. I had the wife with me just in case they had their two-box limit going, and she wasn't needed.

Now I need to get out and shoot the freaking thing!

Cheers! M2

Guest MegaPieBoy

I'm moving from Arizona to Del Rio in a few weeks, and I was wondering if their are any current Texas residents on here who could give me a crash course on concealed carry laws in Texas(trying to interpret and understand the laws as they are written isn't the easiest thing to do). I curently have my concealed carry license in Arizona, and I know from the Texas DPS web site that Texas will recognize my Arizona CCL. I basically want to know the laws and rules I'll have to follow in order to drive in Texas with my handgun readily accessible for self defense purposes without getting a ticket and/or arrested if I were pulled over. Any insight and/or advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: Found out my wife can have a handgun in the car with her while traveling.

Edited by MegaPieBoy

I'm moving from Arizona to Del Rio in a few weeks, and I was wondering if their are any current Texas residents on here who could give me a crash course on concealed carry laws in Texas(trying to interpret and understand the laws as they are written isn't the easiest thing to do). I curently have my concealed carry license in Arizona, and I know from the Texas DPS web site that Texas will recognize my Arizona CCL. I basically want to know the laws and rules I'll have to follow in order to drive in Texas with my handgun readily accessible for self defense purposes without getting a ticket and/or arrested if I were pulled over. Any insight and/or advice would be appreciated.

Well I was going to say that yes you can travel with the gun in easy reach but it has to be concealed in the car. But I would check out usacarry.com for some more help on Tx carry laws. Here is a link to the Tx 2007-2008 law book, which is the Tx concealed handgun laws and selected statutes which is what they give us when we take the Tx CHL class. I hope that this helps, I got some of this info off of my CHL instructors website from his links page. Just watch out for the 30.06 sign it the sign that business have to post to keep us from carrying there. Welcome to Tx.

Edited by cragspider

OK, need some inputs here. Got this deal lined up...a Yugo SKS with a 30rd magazine, a "sporting scope," what looks like a Tapco stock and a plastic case for $300...

0629071034a.jpg

I don't know how many rounds have been through it, and I've not yet seen it in person (just this pic).

The guy is including the original bolt cover (without weaver rail), and the plus side is that it eats 7.62x39, which I have a few rounds stashed away.

The downside is....hell, I can't think of a downside other than possibly paying too much for it!

I've always wanted a bubba SKS, and prefer the "evil black commie rifle" look (it'll match my Yugo M70AB2 quite nicely); but I know SKS used to go for $150-200 pre-Obama paranoia. Checking out GunBroker.com, it seems like a good price.

So, anyone SKS experts out there willing to give an opinion?

Cheers! M2

p.s. I should add I am not a huge fan of the Dragunov-style stocks, but I know some people prefer them over the Tapco types as this one has.

Cragspider pretty much answered it, and if I may add Texas Castle Doctrine--which went into effect on 1 September 2007--allows anyone who is eligible to conceal carry in their home, vehicle or business without a license (or any route directly between those places, so you can carry from your house to your car and back). The old "traveling" requirement, a source of a lot of confusion and interpretation, no longer applies. As long as a person is eligible (basically a non-felon and someone who is not in the act of breaking the law).

Just remember that if asked for ID from any LEO while carrying you must produce your conceal carry license with your other photo ID. This is not a requirement if you are unarmed. Now, the biggest unanswered question is what an unlicensed person who is legally conceal carrying in their vehicle should do, I would recommend informing the police officer that you have a concealed weapon in that case; but I don't know what the law states as it does not apply to yours truly.

Welcome to Texas (even though it is Del Rio), a very gun-friendly state! And let me know if you need any information on San Antonio, as you will likely make a few trips here during your stay in Del Rio!

Cheers! M2

Guest TwosBlind
Now, the biggest unanswered question is what an unlicensed person who is legally conceal carrying in their vehicle should do, I would recommend informing the police officer that you have a concealed weapon in that case;

Cheers! M2

Ive been wondering about this too. As a wait to receive my license, I carry in my car....under the drivers seat usually. I suppose ill keep my mouth shut until the officer inquires about any weapons in the car. I would like to know if there is an official procedure that is required by law though....

OK, need some inputs here. Got this deal lined up...a Yugo SKS with a 30rd magazine, a "sporting scope," what looks like a Tapco stock and a plastic case for $300...

0629071034a.jpg

I don't know how many rounds have been through it, and I've not yet seen it in person (just this pic).

The guy is including the original bolt cover (without weaver rail), and the plus side is that it eats 7.62x39, which I have a few rounds stashed away.

The downside is....hell, I can't think of a downside other than possibly paying too much for it!

I've always wanted a bubba SKS, and prefer the "evil black commie rifle" look (it'll match my Yugo M70AB2 quite nicely); but I know SKS used to go for $150-200 pre-Obama paranoia. Checking out GunBroker.com, it seems like a good price.

So, anyone SKS experts out there willing to give an opinion?

Cheers! M2

p.s. I should add I am not a huge fan of the Dragunov-style stocks, but I know some people prefer them over the Tapco types as this one has.

M2, I have a Yugo SKS that currently resides at my father's house. It is a great rifle and the Yugos are the best of the SKS line. Mine was bought pre Obama, and I didn't bastardize it like the one you're looking at. That's a pretty good price in today's climate, plus you get a scope with it. I could never understand why someone would change the original design with that Tapco stuff. If you do buy it, does it come with the original wood furniture? If so then $300 is even better. I see they removed the bayonet, will that come with it too? Since this one has been modified it no longer carries its Curio Relic status, which means it could be illegal with the modified parts. Make sure you ask the guy selling it if the rifle is 922r compliant. When he changed it he needed to ensure that 10 parts or less are foreign, with the rest being American made parts. Here is a link on 922r, Linky. Just scroll down to the "r." Since we aren't excepted from that, we fall under CFR 27, Linky 2. And here is another link that makes both of those two easy to understand, Linky 3. And finally, here is a link that will help you see if the rifle meets the compliance, Linky 4. I'm assuming it is compliant because he removed the bayonet, which some people argue isn't necessary and some do. He probably wanted to cover his ass or use the lug to attach a bipod. But I'd ask him to make sure. I hope that helps and good luck with getting it. Here's a video of someone who turned their SKS into a bullpup:

On an unrelated note, I found 50 rounds of .455 Webley. I'm excited and can't wait to finally shoot my Mk VI. I'll also have to add some pics of some recent guns purchases I made.

Guest wildblue

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administratio...relatedlaws.htm

Download the booklet and read it all. Repeat for every state you PCS to. Concealed carry laws are not something that I use gouge on. Breaking them can mess up your AF career at best, put you in jail for a long time at worst.

Just my two cents.

Hell T-bonez, you've got me concerned about 922r! From what I've been reading here both the detachable magazine and pistol grip may be violations! I guess having it noted on the bill of sale that the seller believes the weapon to be 922r compliant won't cover my ass, I may have to get an ATF determination.

I thought with all the US-made TAPCO parts on it, it would be complaint. Oh, and no bayonet or original furniture as far as I know, he would've mentioned it if either was included. I am not too worried about maintaining the C&R status, I just want to stay legal and out of the sights of the ATF.

I need a beer...

M2, I considered converting my SKS to the Tapco stuff and then decided against it because of the 922r garbage, and I much prefer it's historical look. The higher capacity magazines are ok. If I recall correctly magazines count as 2 (SKS specific, as I think the AK magazines count as 3). You can go to Tapco's website and look at all the parts they sell for the SKS and they will also let you know how many compliance parts they count for. Just remember the SKS needs to have 10 or less imported parts. Of course, they best course of action would be emailing the ATF about it. I used to frequent forums about the SKS and people were always asking about 922r and compliance parts. The ATF did a real good job of making the law confusing enough that a lot of people are turned off to altering their AKs, SKSs, etc. And the ATF, in its infinite wisdom, decided that imported parts make a rifle evil. For the life of me, I can't understand their reasoning behind 922r. At least with other laws I can understand why they are doing it, however misguided they are, but there is no arguable justification for 922r except to make another unreadable law that even lawyers can't agree on.

EDIT: It was my understanding that magazines and pistols grips are not violations. Magazines are already a part of the SKS and if you change them to American parts you should be good to go. I don't think there is any stipulation as to whether it needs to be fixed or if detachable is ok. My reasoning behind this is that AKs have detachable magazines, and if you use American made ones they count as compliance parts. Reason would assume that this also applies to the SKS. As for pistol grips, there should not be anything wrong with it. The only thing is, the law states that this is one of the items you can change to an American made part to reach compliance. Since the SKS never originally had a pistol grip, adding an American pistol grip won't count as a compliance part, but it's not illegal either. It just means you will need to find other parts on the rifle to change to American parts. Now if you were to buy a C&R SKS and just happened to put a pistol grip on it, then you would be violating 922r, which means you'd have to make the rifle with 10 or less foreign parts to make it 922r compliant and to keep the grip. In either situation the pistol grip is not a deal breaker.

Edited by Timbonez

Seems the ammunition supply is finally catching up. Was walking around the local WalMart today and as I was passing through the sporting section I noticed the clerk unloading a shopping cart full of ammo. I asked him if he happen to have any 45 auto in there and sure enough he had a couple cases worth of WWB. Picked up two 100 round boxes at $29 a piece (great price!!) 200 rounds for $60 aint bad at all.

Seems the ammunition supply is finally catching up. Was walking around the local WalMart today and as I was passing through the sporting section I noticed the clerk unloading a shopping cart full of ammo. I asked him if he happen to have any 45 auto in there and sure enough he had a couple cases worth of WWB. Picked up two 100 round boxes at $29 a piece (great price!!) 200 rounds for $60 aint bad at all.

That is a damn good price for .45 ACP, pre-election even.

That's what I was paying when I was stocking up on the 100-round boxes of WWB, but I haven't seen any at WalMart for months. Glad to hear it is coming back...

I might go shoot the Webley and Nagant Friday morning, I will let y'all know how it goes if I do.

Cheers! M2

That's what I was paying when I was stocking up on the 100-round boxes of WWB, but I haven't seen any at WalMart for months. Glad to hear it is coming back...

I might go shoot the Webley and Nagant Friday morning, I will let y'all know how it goes if I do.

Cheers! M2

I just got finished cleaning one of my 1911s and the Webley, because I went to the range today (no work!). It was the first time I fired the Webley and fun. It's pretty damn accurate and the recoil is just a soft push. I'm very happy with that handgun.

Edited by Timbonez

Well, got to shoot both the Webley and the Nagant this morning. First and foremost, neither exploded in my face so I was happy about that! Secondly, both shot pretty well, considering the age and designs.

I was surprised at how low the recoil was on the Webley, it is a big, slow round and shoots accordingly. About the only thing I am pissed off about was that I popped it open too fast and brass went flying. I was able to find all but one of them, but I kick myself for have such low SA when I opened it.

The Nagant's recoil is even lighter, like a .38 but it wasn't as accurate as the Webley. All the 7.62x38R casings came out without a hitch, pretty much falling out of the cylinder as I rotated to clear it.

What was a disappointment was the Kel-Tec P3AT I bought, that damn thing couldn't hit the broad side of a bard at 7 yards! I let my bud shoot it and he had the same result. I don't know why it is such a lousy shooter, maybe I need to bench shoot it to get a better idea of where it really shoots; but for a BUG it is almost useless other than scaring the BG. Most likely it won't be in my possession too much longer, I could sell it for a profit since I got it pretty cheap.

Cheers! M2

What was a disappointment was the Kel-Tec P3AT I bought, that damn thing couldn't hit the broad side of a bard at 7 yards! I let my bud shoot it and he had the same result. I don't know why it is such a lousy shooter, maybe I need to bench shoot it to get a better idea of where it really shoots; but for a BUG it is almost useless other than scaring the BG. Most likely it won't be in my possession too much longer, I could sell it for a profit since I got it pretty cheap.

Cheers! M2

That's why I bought a Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry. It is bigger that the Kel-Tec and much more shootable. It actually is pretty fun to shoot and I can carry it unoticed. I had similar results as yours with the P3AT.

Guest MegaPieBoy
Well I was going to say that yes you can travel with the gun in easy reach but it has to be concealed in the car. But I would check out usacarry.com for some more help on Tx carry laws. Here is a link to the Tx 2007-2008 law book, which is the Tx concealed handgun laws and selected statutes which is what they give us when we take the Tx CHL class. I hope that this helps, I got some of this info off of my CHL instructors website from his links page. Just watch out for the 30.06 sign it the sign that business have to post to keep us from carrying there. Welcome to Tx.

Cragspider pretty much answered it, and if I may add Texas Castle Doctrine--which went into effect on 1 September 2007--allows anyone who is eligible to conceal carry in their home, vehicle or business without a license (or any route directly between those places, so you can carry from your house to your car and back). The old "traveling" requirement, a source of a lot of confusion and interpretation, no longer applies. As long as a person is eligible (basically a non-felon and someone who is not in the act of breaking the law).

Just remember that if asked for ID from any LEO while carrying you must produce your conceal carry license with your other photo ID. This is not a requirement if you are unarmed. Now, the biggest unanswered question is what an unlicensed person who is legally conceal carrying in their vehicle should do, I would recommend informing the police officer that you have a concealed weapon in that case; but I don't know what the law states as it does not apply to yours truly.

Welcome to Texas (even though it is Del Rio), a very gun-friendly state! And let me know if you need any information on San Antonio, as you will likely make a few trips here during your stay in Del Rio!

Cheers! M2

Know its a little late, but thanks to both of you for the info. I appreciate it, and it was helpful. Sounds like Texas is pretty gun friendly....seems like Arizona is actually a little easier as far as carrying a gun on and/or with your, but the laws for actually using your gun seem better in Texas.

I was at the MCX the other day, and they have 5.56 gunnery in stock.

I think I'm going to get the Bushmaster M4A3 16" barrel for $1040.

They had an Armalite M15 (didn't get the model #, but M4 style w/foldable front sight, removable carry handle) for about $1180, but I don't see the need to pay extra to fold down the front sight. That and I hear Bushmaster is better.

Although tempting, I saw a S&W MP15 VTAC.

Now, time to find some ammo.

I was at the MCX the other day, and they have 5.56 gunnery in stock.

I think I'm going to get the Bushmaster M4A3 16" barrel for $1040.

They had an Armalite M15 (didn't get the model #, but M4 style w/foldable front sight, removable carry handle) for about $1180, but I don't see the need to pay extra to fold down the front sight. That and I hear Bushmaster is better.

Although tempting, I saw a S&W MP15 VTAC.

Now, time to find some ammo.

You can get a Colt LE6920 these days between $1100-$1300. They are a much better rifle than a Bushmaster. Here are two links to new ones on Gunbroker. Linky 1 and Linky 2.

Although I think this chart is overused, it let's people know exactly what they are getting. Also, this chart does not list all of the AR manufacturers that make a M4 type carbine, nor does it list any of the piston designs. Civilian M4 type carbines; Look at the bottom of the page and click specs (Ignore the prices, this spreadsheet constantly changes). These are some of the specs for a "mil-spec" M4. The term mil-spec is usually hotly contested when describing a civilian rifle, because in essence none of them are true mil-spec. They lack full auto and you can only have a 16" barrel or longer (that is if you don't want to register it as an SBR or cut the barrel to the 14.5" length and then permanently attach a FH). But besides those two technicalities you are looking at mil-spec with a Colt LE6920. Certain rifles go beyond mil-spec minimums, such as Noveske rifles. Their barrels are more accurate than your standard barrel. I own 3 AR-15s. One is a LWRC Piston upper 14.7" w/permanent FH on an ASA lower, a Bushmaster A1 upper with 16" pencil barrel on a Bushmaster lower, and a BCM 16" midlength upper on a Cavalry Arms lower that I assembled with a Rock River Arms lower parts kit.

The Bushmaster M4A3 is a fine rifle but if I had a choice between the two I would spend the couple extra bucks to get the Colt for the extra features and QC they have. I could make this a really long post, but if you have questions about it, PM me and I'll help you out.

Edited by Timbonez

Timbonez, I don't mean to be an ass, but part of the reason Colt lost the contract for M16/M4 style rifles to FN and Bushmaster is that their QC was severely lacking. There is much more to it, but that was a primary reason. The only way I would own a Colt anything is if it was given to me. Let's not forget that they are currently recalling their WWI replica 1911, the WWI replica O1918, New Agents, Combat Elites, Defenders, and Talo Night Defenders.

ETA: Linky

Edited by Vandal

I don't think you're an ass, and you bring up a good point. But Bushmaster does not make any rifles for the US Gov. FN makes M16s and Sabre Defence had a small contract (4000?) to make M16s last year, however Colt has the sole contract for M4s. There is no other manufacturer making M4s for our military.

As for the recalls, every company has those. Yeah, it's a crappy deal, but Colt is making it right by doing the recall. Ruger has recalls all the time, yet people still buy and trust their weapons. I stand by my assessment that Colt QC is better than Bushmaster's. Bushmaster is not immune to putting out a lemon either. A few years ago they were selling ARs that had a purple finish to them.

By no means, do I think Bushmaster makes a poor product. My Bushmaster AR is currently my SHTF rifle. That being said, there are several extra protocols that they don't do that you see a Tier 1 AR manufacturer doing. They don't pressure test their bolts or barrels with a proof round and they don't MPI them either. If you don't care about that, then fine, but they also don't use an M16 carrier, heavy buffer, black extractor insert (it's more the spring than the color), etc. Yes, those can be changed on any rifle, but then you're paying more money than what Colt has already provided for you. If you just can't stand the taste of Colt, then there are plenty of other manufacturers that provide the same product.

Example:

Lower: Denny's $335

Upper: BCM 16" Midlength $475

Charging Handle: BCM CH $24

M16 BCG: BCM BCG $160

Carry Handle: Carry Handle $110

Handguards: Midlength HG (M4 Oval) $20

Total: $1124 before shipping

I'm just saying their are better options out there than a $1040 Bushmaster. If you really have your heart set on the Bushmaster, Disgruntled, talk the dealer down in price. It should be under $1,000. Don't just take the plunge because it's available right now. If you're patient you can find something for close to the same price and with better features.

I guess my point is do some research before you buy an AR. I'm assuming this is your first one, so you probably have a lot of questions. Go to the forums at AR15.com and look around. You'll find most people over there are helpful. Good luck with your choice and purchase.

Edited by Timbonez

I agree that Bushmaster should be under 1k. I saw a RRA today for under $900. If I was employed it would have gone home with me along with the AK for $380. Tragically I have to spend my cash elsewhere.

ETA: They do make rifles for the US Military. One of my Army LT buddies is carrying a Bushmaster M4 in Afghanistan right now along with most of his guys.

Edited by Vandal

A $900 RRA is a good buy. Was it their entry tactical model and was the barrel chrome lined? And a $380 AK... I haven't seen that low of a price for one in a long time. Do they have a layaway plan?

Oh, and Happy Fourth!

EDIT: Bushmaster has no military contract. FBO Type in Bushmaster, no results. Type in Colt, RRA, Lockheed Martin, etc. You will see contracts. Here is another link Colt M4, scroll to the bottom. I'm not trying to start a pissing match, rather dispel rumors or incorrect info.

Edited by Timbonez