Finding time for the gym/workout

I've heard a lot about work days typically running to the 12-hour mark. That's all well and good, but when do you AD guys find time to go to the gym?! I'm not even commissioned yet and I find it a struggle to fit in an 8-hour work day, all of my daily responsibilities AND an hour or two at the gym. When do you guys work out?

(And if this has been answered before, searching the forum didn't reveal a single post that contained the word "gym.")

Couple of schools of thought on this:

1) Only worry about it in the month coming up on your PFT.

2) Some people hit the gym during the work day. The AFI that outlines the AF PT program states that it's mandatory to get time during duty hours to go PT (or something like that)

3) Other people don't PT at all (see #1).

Guest T38driver
I've heard a lot about work days typically running to the 12-hour mark. That's all well and good, but when do you AD guys find time to go to the gym?! I'm not even commissioned yet and I find it a struggle to fit in an 8-hour work day, all of my daily responsibilities AND an hour or two at the gym. When do you guys work out?

(And if this has been answered before, searching the forum didn't reveal a single post that contained the word "gym.")

Depends on how bad you want to work out. You will work 12 hour days as a SUPT student, and usually that will not include time to go to the gym. However, eveyday isn't a 12 hour day. Some work days are longer than others. It just means that you'll have to go on your own time during those 12 hour work days. Trust me, you can find the time.

Edited by T38driver

i adhere to rule #1 simply b/c i'm lazy. but if i wanted to go regularly, sometimes i get this crazy idea i want to get in shape permanently and do it for a month or so before i say f'it...i'm going to nap at home. i just manage my time/workday and fit it in...usually towards the end of the day where i'll just go home afterwards. life's all about time management.

Don't get over-worked on this, you have much bigger fish to fry. You work out when you can. The 12 hour days in UPT will be a kick in the balls. After you're MR and have a deployment or two under you belt, you won't notice them anymore.

HD

Guest Dunce

The #1 piece of advice I would give for you before you go to UPT for fitness:

Buy some weights and a swedish ball (for the bench and its cheap). Its a lot easier to find 20-30 minutes to lift at home after a tough 12 hr day while watching some sportscenter than it is to get your butt to the gym on weekdays. Run on the weekends. You want to buy the weights before you move bc than you get paid money to move it if you DITY. Thats how I can decompress before studying again.

The #1 piece of advice I would give for you before you go to UPT for fitness:

Buy some weights and a swedish ball (for the bench and its cheap). Its a lot easier to find 20-30 minutes to lift at home after a tough 12 hr day while watching some sportscenter than it is to get your butt to the gym on weekdays. Run on the weekends. You want to buy the weights before you move bc than you get paid money to move it if you DITY. Thats how I can decompress before studying again.

Man, was I the only class leader in UPT that bullied (OK, convinced) the Flt CC to let my guys go work out during the 12 hour days that were JSUPT? Once N,W&C are done...you can talk them into a lot.

The only time I oversteped was when there were no IPs around, but we had nothing to do and we were tired, so I sent them all home. I took an ass chewing for that one, but it was sooooo worth it.

Guest Rainman A-10

I would not let anyone at UPT dictate to you what your workout schedule should be. You want to keep up you 1-2 hours a day at the gym, do it. Tell your Flt CC that you are only in UPT for a year and your health is about the rest of your life. DO NOT let anyone tell you that you should not be going to the gym.

People take UPT way too seriously. Working out should be priority #1.

'Nuff said.

I would not let anyone at UPT dictate to you what your workout schedule should be. You want to keep up you 1-2 hours a day at the gym, do it. Tell your Flt CC that you are only in UPT for a year and your health is about the rest of your life. DO NOT let anyone tell you that you should not be going to the gym.

People take UPT way too seriously. Working out should be priority #1.

'Nuff said.

Easier said than done.

If you're struggling to find the time to get a good work out in, try www.crossfit.com The longest workout I've had through that program has been 45 mins (and it's because I'm out of shape). Most of their WODs (workout of the day) go no longer than 20 minutes. Most of the exercises are body weight anyway. Find 20 minutes and a pullup bar and you're set. :thumbsup:

I think you'll be suprised at how much time there actually is in a week. I thought I was busy in college with ROTC, 20 credit hours, working out and trying to find time for the girlfriend. When you get to UPT, you'll realize just how much free time you had in college. For me, the more I have to do, the better I manage my time, which often actually gives me as much free time as I do when I'm not as busy if that makes any sense. If I have nothing to do all day, it's pretty easy to put off studying (or working out) for another hour or two. Just like spending time with the wife or anything else in life, if it is a priority in your life, it'll get done, if it's not than it won't.

Guest IncompletePete

I keep myself in half decent shape by doing little and often. I've got a chin up bar on my staircase, so whenever I go up or down the stairs I do 5-10 chin ups, also if I'm waiting for the computer to boot up I might do some press ups. I hate running with a passion, but whenever I've got some spare time I got a quick 1.5mile run around my neighborhood, over all I get a half decent workout every day in lots of short elements.

It's not ideal, but works well if you're really busy and quite lazy.