Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

Guest boredwith9to5
As to what Incompletepete said, even that SV650 will feel like a rocket coming off a 650 vStar. Go get you some test rides, then decide. Also keep in mind that the 600rr has so much power that you won't be able to touch even the 75% ability of the bike on a street, well at least without being insanely stupid.

So would something even in the 500cc range, like a Ninja, even be good enough? For the most part I ride my bike to work and short trips here and there with the occasional 2-3 hour countryside ride.. So I don't need something that'll do a 10sec 1/4 mile or anything.

Also, I looked up that CBR600f and it looks like they stopped making them in 1990?

Thanks for the input!

Bored

If you are riding one-up, then a 500cc bike would be fine. Despite the American preference for more powerful machines, you don't need all that kick to have fun (this from a guy who has a 150+ HP 1000cc sportbike). As many of my European riding buds would say, it is more fun to go fast on a slow bike than it is to go slow on a fast one!

Given you short commute and light weekend riding, a 500cc Ninja would be sufficient for the time being. You may find yourself bored with it after a while, but you will find it cheaper to operate (especially insurance-wise) and just as enjoyable as a big bike. Plus, you are less likely to get yourself into any serious trouble with a smaller machine. About the the only thing I would caution you on is riding it in fast-moving traffic, such as on interstates. It may be able to keep up with the rest of the vehicles, but you won't have a lot of extra power on tap in case you need to suddenly accelerate.

Cheers! M2

Guest IncompletePete

2 on what M2 said. I have no idea what a 500cc Ninja would be, (The UK Ninjas are either 250, 600 or 1000) but I'm sure it'll be plenty quick enough and it is fun riding a slow bike quickly, plus as you improve you'll learn how to ride that bike really well and the skills will trade off beautifully if you trade up to something a bit better. But I went from learning on a 125cc bike straight to a 250kg 600cc Suzuki Bandit without any difficulties and find the power lacking some of the time (Albeit after 3 years and about 30,000miles under my belt), so I expect 500cc would feel a bit gutless from the outset in all honesty.

<edit> I just googled what a 500cc Ninja is and it turns out that I've actually ridden my friend's one! Conclusions - good fun simple bike to ride BUT they're freaking tiny, have tires which are seemingly stolen from a mountain bike and a pretty damn revvy engine. I also felt pretty damn exposed on it and I'm only 5'9"! Take a tip from Kwak's website = in all the photos the riders are girls and the friend who owns the one I rode, is a girl who is 5'1" and it fits her perfectly, so if you're a girl or a tiny guy, it's perfect. Otherwise, get a decent sized machine - you'll just look like a clown on a circus bike!

Honda started making the CBR600f in 1987, but was still made for the European markets at least until about 2007 in this guise. In the US it was called the CBR600F4i:

CBR600F5_3s.JPG

Edited by IncompletePete

Honda started making the CBR600f in 1987, but was still made for the European markets at least until about 2007 in this guise. In the US it was called the CBR600F4i:

CBR600F5_3s.JPG

that was an awesome bike, my first race bike, all day comfortable for the street, and immensely capable on the track, they need to make more bikes like that

I'm looking into getting a Yamaha FZ6 or FZ6R. From what I've heard they're both excellent bikes. The only real difference from what I understand is the FZ6 only has a half fairing and its a little bit taller. Either one of those might be a good choice.

Guest boredwith9to5

I didn't even think about the physical size of the bike. I'm about 5'9 myself and my V-Star is just a tad too long. I can't sit back and still have a comfortable hold on my handles so I lean forward just slightly. I guess the 500 would be good for my wife and maybe the 600 for me. I'm assuming it would have a bit larger frame to it.

Thanks for the tips! Do dealerships let you test ride? I did my safety course with a guy who had a Beull and he said he did a 500 mile test ride... I'd just want to take it up and down the street a couple times to see if I fit on it.

Always one of my favorite saves...

Max Biaggi might be an asshole (well, he is an asshole), but he sure could ride on occasion!

Cheers! M2

p.s. Here it is in slo-mo...

I seriously looked into a ex-Royal Army 1943 Norton 16H a couple of weeks ago as something to putter around on the weekends. Of course then I realized that I wouldn't even know how to start, much less ride it...

Mike

Guest LtLoad

Allright then guys:

Anybody have experience with Suzuki Boulevards? Their beautiful machines. I had a Ninja 500 a few years ago, and it was my first bike. (and I whole heartedly agree with the previous reccomendations, it was a GREAT bike, lots of fun, went when you wanted it to, easy to handle) I'm looking at a cruiser now and trying to decide between the:

M90

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Line...ategory=cruiser

or its big Brother, the M109R

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Line...ategory=cruiser

I've done plenty of research, I'm mature and cautious about my riding, and I've talked to many dealers about the two bikes. I guess I'm just looking to pick the brains of other experienced riders out there, who might have some words of wisdom when deciding between the two.

OK, I am not a cruiser guy; but can you tell me the difference between the two models? They look pretty much the same to me (again, I am not a cruiser guy), but there has to be something to justify the $3100 difference in price!

Never mind, my Google-foo skills kicked in and I found this. From the sound of the review, I would go with the M90. The M109 doesn't appear worth the extra $3000 in comparison, you won't feel much difference between a 1500cc V-twin and an 1800cc one if you are jumping over from a Ninja 500. The fact that it weighs roughly 40lbs less than the M109R, which "improves handling and enhances maneuverability," is another benefit. Lastly, according to the review (and Basem Wasef has a good reputation for getting it right), the ergonomics are better on the M90 as well.

All that plus that $3000 buys a lot of gear and beer (but not while you're riding!). And, if you are financing, the $3000 turns in to a lot more money once you add interest. Seems like the choice is obvious.

Cheers! M2

Guest boredwith9to5

Not all that experienced (only 1 year so far on a 650 VStar) but I agree with M2's post here. You won't notice much of a difference between 1500 and 1800 (unless you weigh like 600 pounds), the 1500 will certainly treat you right. The $3k cost savings would easily seal the deal if it were me. Get some nice upgrades on the M90, some good gear (heated gear if you're in the cold so you can ride during the winter), or a sweet helmet with bluetooth. I don't recommend talking while riding, but the hands free set up is really nice and convenient!

But if money isn't an issue, go for the 1800! Why not?

For all those newbie riders out there, I just bought a 2009 Ninja 650r yesterday afternoon. Previously I rode a Sportster 1200 which was my first bike. I am one of those guys who thinks stepping into sport riding should be approached carefully. So I got what I thought to be a fairly conservative choice both in price and performance. The bike turned out to exceed my expectations in alot of ways and I haven't even gone north of 4K RPM yet! Its a comfortable ride and very, VERY easy to ride. Great choice...with 2 years on a cruiser, I had NO IDEA what I was missing.

Wheelz

Guest boredwith9to5

Thanks for the heads up on that Wheelz. A couple pages back I was debating on what to get my wife and I. I think I decided on getting a Ninja 500 for her, but I might go for the 650 because of all the hills around here. I ride a V-Star 650 right now, so it should be an easy enough transition.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a bike and knew insurance would be high from my previous experience. Just wondering who everyone has their insurance through and what kind of coverage is typical. Thanks in advance

Guest IncompletePete
Thanks for the heads up on that Wheelz. A couple pages back I was debating on what to get my wife and I. I think I decided on getting a Ninja 500 for her, but I might go for the 650 because of all the hills around here. I ride a V-Star 650 right now, so it should be an easy enough transition.

Yea - don't go for a full fat sports bike immediately from a cruiser, the new bikes are monumentally fast, even the 600s like the R6.

However, I took a 2008 Yamaha R1 out for a spin today and good god it was awesome beyond belief - 139bhp at the crank in a bike that weighs 177kg resulted in acceleration that ripped me off the back of the bike and then stopping power which crushed my forearms as I braced myself. Getting the throttle wide open out of corners in 2nd and 3rd gear was an event and really a genuine achievement which required planning rather than being a formality as the resulting speed was epic but didn't stop me actually laughing out loud as I was hurtled out of slow corners and down roads (private ones, naturally) well into triple figures within a split second....

2008-Yamaha-YZF-R1-CE-CanadianEditiona.jpg

edit for retarded spelling

Edited by IncompletePete

However, I took a 2008 Yamaha R1 out for a spin today and good god it was awesome beyond belief - 139bhp at the crank in a bike that weighs 177kg

2008-Yamaha-YZF-R1-CE-CanadianEditiona.jpg

edit for retarded spelling

Now THATS a machine. My sense of self-preservations says to get a little more experience before jumping on a rocketship like an R1 however. Great picture Pete, what do you ride day to day?

Wheelz

PS - fou, I use Progressive because USAA sent me that direction after explaining that they do not do bike insurance. No complaints so far, and their rates are good.

Edited by WheelzUp

I just bought a bike and knew insurance would be high from my previous experience. Just wondering who everyone has their insurance through and what kind of coverage is typical. Thanks in advance

Check State Farm because they only look at cc size and don't care what type of bike it is. I pay only $40/month for a ZX-14 Ninja.

Check State Farm because they only look at cc size and don't care what type of bike it is. I pay only $40/month for a ZX-14 Ninja.

I spoke with a state farm agent earlier and she gave me a good rate but since I don't have car insurance through them, she was going to have to get back to me on Monday to see if she could give the same rate. It was more coverage and cheaper than Progressive and several others.

Check USAA as well, especially if you already have coverage on other vehicles through them. They are competitive, I have them for both of my bikes...

Check USAA as well, especially if you already have coverage on other vehicles through them. They are competitive, I have them for both of my bikes...

USAA only insures new bikes through a 3rd party. I used to have them as well and it was cheap but I sold the bike and bought a new one a few years later and they stopped insuring new bikes through them. Also I would say Geico is cheaper for auto insurance but it was only about $20/month. USAA told me about a new policy called accident forgiveness but I don't know if it's worth staying with them and I would hate to change everything for just $20.

Regarding State Farm, each one is different. Initially in MO, I had to have a car insured with them but now in another state I only have to have the bike.

Guest IncompletePete
Now THATS a machine. My sense of self-preservations says to get a little more experience before jumping on a rocketship like an R1 however. Great picture Pete, what do you ride day to day?

Wheelz

My day to day uninspiring hack of a bike is my Bandit 600s - a solid cheap bike that has taken some serious abuse, a bit of fast sporty riding and recently a trip around Europe including France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium which included roads like this :notworthy:

4898_578828029578_274700969_5334020_7235245_n.jpg

edit...although it might be worth noting a few miles up that same road and further up that mountain, in June I might add, it was like this...

4898_578828034568_274700969_5334021_2817107_n.jpg

Edited by IncompletePete

I get a great rate through Progressive on a 08 Harley Night Train.

Yeah, I used them to ensure my Sportster 1200C as well. But realize that rates are SIGNIFICANTLY different for a sportbike. I was blown away when I found out that a new rider between 18-25 can pay as much as 2 grand a year for insurance!

Wheelz