just curious

Guest frankie

I have heard of a lot of pilots that are afraid of heights. I dont think that it is too uncommon to fly and be afraid of heights. Cant say I know of many who are afraid of flying though...doesnt seem like that would work too well but I have been wrong before.

Guest ericvano

Yes, I'm afraid of heights, but not when flying, and especially not while in the cockpit. Must be a control thing.

Why do you ask?

[ 21. November 2005, 19:10: Message edited by: Coach Z ]

I don't like heights but being inside a plane is different than hanging of the side of a mountain. I can't say I know many pilot's that are affraid of flying.

Guest SuperStallionIP

I have never had the problem yet, but I could see myself becoming afraid of heights if the rotor head stopped turning while not on the ground.

It took me a good hour to get up the nerve to ride the BIG SHOT on the top of the Stratosphere in Vegas, and I only did it because everyone else on my crew did it and I wasn't gonna get laughed at all the way back to Omaha.

You'll never get me back on that damned thing ever again, especially after

this happened. :eek:

I don't like heights, and I hate when people stand at the edge of the cliff and lean over and look down and say "look, it's no big deal!"

I am definitely not afraid of flying.

[ 21. November 2005, 19:38: Message edited by: Scooter14 ]

I am not a big fan of heights at all. No need for me to climb a latter because I dont like that one bit (nice description by the way BFM!!). It would take me a lot longer than an hour to ride that Vegas ride, but I would to prevent getting laughed at as Scooter described. Now flying at 500AGL or as high as the jet will take me...no problem at all. Flying doesnt bother me and I agree with some of you, it is a control thing I would imagine.

Yeah, the lights.

You know what? You can see all the pretty lights from inside the ****ing observatory as well, which would keep my pink, hairy ass from hanging over the edge of one of the buildings built by the lowest bidder with no way to get back.

[ 21. November 2005, 20:03: Message edited by: Scooter14 ]

Guest PalmettoGuy

On a similar note, how about getting shot down or being a POW (Sorry/disregard if this is a sensitive/inappropriate question)? Was there a difference before and after survival school?

After reading books like Flyboys and Faith of My Fathers (and knowing that a situation like that probebly can't truely be described by words), and the thought of a major war with China (whom I assume would challenge US Airpower far more than Iraq), it definatly has made me think about that possibility.

Originally posted by PalmettoGuy:

On a similar note, how about getting shot down or being a POW (Sorry/disregard if this is a sensitive/inappropriate question)? Was there a difference before and after survival school?

After reading books like Flyboys and Faith of My Fathers (and knowing that a situation like that probebly can't truely be described by words), and the thought of a major war with China (whom I assume would challenge US Airpower far more than Iraq), it definatly has made me think about that possibility.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, to describe what goes on inside a pilot's gut when he sees a SAM get airborne"

- Randy Cunningham

Hoser

Guest Navtastic

I'm deathly afraid of heights. I also think it's a control thing. Being forced to inch my way across an incredibly high obstacle on the confidence course did NOT make me feel confident. I do test myself every once in a while, but it never changes --> I still want to wet myself. One day I'll be a big girl and get up on top of the Herc. Lord help the crew chief who has to clean up after me....

Guest mo7stanley

I think most pilots, during their training, go through a phase where they are somewhat afraid of flying for whatever reason. More solo flying than with an instructor.

Otherwise, I have been a little uncomfortable, in a Cessna 172 at 10,000 ft. I don't know why, but I did.

I have never been afraid of flying; with that said I have had frightening experiences inside an aircraft.

Heights on the other hand are terrifying. I always picture myself at the bottom of the latter, cliff, building, all messed up. I don’t think it’s a control thing. I think it boils down to the fact that dieing doesn’t scare me as much as getting hurt really bad. The idea of spending the rest of my life paralyzed or crippled is worse than the idea of going out in a smoking hole. Maybe when I'm dead I'll change my mind.

Afraid of flying? Yeah

Afraid of heights?

Originally posted by BFM this:

Strap me in an airplane/glider/ram-air-parachute, I'm golden. Get me up on the second rung of a ladder, and I shake like 14 year old boy flashed his first set of knockers.

Beautiful analogy, same for me.