Physical Fitness Test (PFT)

Ryder1587

As a new Cadet or any other Cadet during the Fall semester, you take a PFD. The PFD is the diagnostic version of the PFT. It includes the same stuff, but you only have to pass 2/3 tests to qualify to take the PFT. You will then take the PFT. In the spring you wont need to take the PFD, but you will take another PFT. If you are going to FT you will also take a QFR, which qualifies you for FT physically. All three tests include the same events, push-ups, crunches, 1.5 mile run, and waist measurement.

And for the second part of your question, ROTC will not ensrue you get yiur desired scores on the PFT. They will provide you with PT, but it is your duty to push yourself. In my experience, AFROTC PT will NOT get you to the level of fitness to max the PFT. You need to be working out on your own, or PT with the Army if you want to max the test. My first year, I only did AF PT and I got a 90. This year, I PT with the Army and on my own and I got a 100.

[ 17. March 2005, 14:16: Message edited by: c17wannabe ]

Guest ChrisH

I have a question to add to this thread, so I don't have to start a new one...

Next semester I will be starting the AFROTC program. I will have three years, or 6 semesters when I start the program. At what point during this 6 semesters will I compete for an EA and for FT? I am trying to get my GPA up and want to make sure I will have enough time to do so before I have to go up before any boards. If I have 6 semesters, I assume I will have atleast 2 or 3 semesters before I have to worry about boards? Also, at what point will I take the AFOQT, and begin applying for and going up for a pilot slot?

-Chris

If you start as a 200 cadet(sophomore), you will be going up for an EA that Spring. Basically, this time next year. You are going to take the AFOQT ASAP when you get to your Det, as well as your medical for DoDMERB. The following Spring, this time 2 years from now, you will go up for Pilot/Nav/ABM.

Guest ChrisH

Well, if that is the case, when it comes to my GPA, I can have it up to a 2.5-2.6 at this time next year. Am I screwed if that is the case, or as long as I do well my first semester in AFROTC, I should be OK? What other factors do they take into consideration, such as PFT?? If I can get the EA with the 2.5-2.6, I can have it to a 3.0 or so when I would be going for Pilot/Nav/ABM.

P.S - Also, so I will be taking the AFOQT most likely some time next semester, my first in AFROTC?

-Chris

[ 17. March 2005, 14:48: Message edited by: ChrisH ]

Newest one, period. That goes for PFT, GPA, AFOQT, etc... And they submit during 'big week' for both EA's for FT and for categorizing, which is like the 3rd week in Feb., so whatever scores you have by then is it.

• 2 years later...
Guest F16crewdwgg

I'm dual enrolled in AS100 and AS200. I do not goto FT however untill next summer. I hear there is a PFT at FT, and we have one every year in the squadron. When basing on OM, which one actually counts? Lets say I do better next year on the PFT, do they take the better one? Or does FT PFT only count? Also lets say I can run my ass off and do a bunch of situps but I can only do around 45 pushups. How would the points work? Do you have to do 60 pushups like it says.. or is that just to get 10 pts.. Sorry this is really confusing.. This is my first semester in AFROTC so I obviously would have trained harder if I knew 60p-ups was the requirment. Thanks guys..

I'm dual enrolled in AS100 and AS200. I do not goto FT however untill next summer. I hear there is a PFT at FT, and we have one every year in the squadron. When basing on OM, which one actually counts? Lets say I do better next year on the PFT, do they take the better one? Or does FT PFT only count? Also lets say I can run my ass off and do a bunch of situps but I can only do around 45 pushups. How would the points work? Do you have to do 60 pushups like it says.. or is that just to get 10 pts.. Sorry this is really confusing.. This is my first semester in AFROTC so I obviously would have trained harder if I knew 60p-ups was the requirment. Thanks guys..

You latest score counts.

Guest OfficerIn2008

You are correct. It is always the most recent one that you take that goes for stuff. And there are no minimums now you just have to get 75% across the board to pass, but obviously to be competitive you don't want to just get a 75%. There are many posts on the PFA, you can take a look at those for the discussions of how the PFA works.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest F16crewdwgg

so I got an 86 on my pft...

I ran the 1.5 in 10:51 with a shin splint..

and the waste thing got me.. that sucked.. I was measured at 33.5.. I could of swore I was a 32. I wear 32 pants and fit in them.. I think I was measured in the wrong area lol.. so I only got like 25 pts or something..

Is 86 good? Of course I will improve and have until next summer until FT.

so I got an 86 on my pft...

I ran the 1.5 in 10:51 with a shin splint..

and the waste thing got me.. that sucked.. I was measured at 33.5.. I could of swore I was a 32. I wear 32 pants and fit in them.. I think I was measured in the wrong area lol.. so I only got like 25 pts or something..

How tall are you? You might be able to get the BMI used and pick up the full 30 points.

86 is great if you're not competing for any rated slots because it probably won't matter as much as your CC's recommendation. We had a cadet who consistently scored in the high 80s and could never break into the 90s but he was a great leader and got the job he wanted (Aircraft Maintenance).

If you're going up for a rated slot, I'd get that score at least in the 90s and do well in everything else (GPA, PCSM, CC Ranking).

Guest F16crewdwgg
How tall are you? You might be able to get the BMI used and pick up the full 30 points.

I'm 6ft and weigh 175lbs..

What is the BMI?

86 is great if you're not competing for any rated slots because it probably won't matter as much as your CC's recommendation. We had a cadet who consistently scored in the high 80s and could never break into the 90s but he was a great leader and got the job he wanted (Aircraft Maintenance).

If you're going up for a rated slot, I'd get that score at least in the 90s and do well in everything else (GPA, PCSM, CC Ranking).

Are you kidding me? If you look up the OM score for a PFT of 86 and assuming you are doing 'well' in everything else (top third commanders ranking, 3.8 gpa, 95 pcsm, SP at FT) you are easily at an 91 OM score. Now supposedly an OM of 82 can "guarantee" a slot and lower than that you still have a good shot.

If you up the PFT all the way to the max of 100 your OM score only goes up to 92.4. Your PFT score, while important, does not make or break your pilot slot chances. Be active in the corps and get a high commanders ranking. Focus on classes and don't get a C in a class so you can go work out 7 days a week.

EDIT: To clarify

Edited by rotc_pilot

Don't sweat your push ups so much. I maxed at 75 this last PFT (62's the limit) and then ran a 10 flat on the run and came up with a 95. The run should be your biggest priority.

Most of our cadets have zero upper body strength and yack around 50 push ups, if that. But when it comes to running, we've got some real sticks haulin butt. Makes no sense to me, but I guess the Air Force likes runners...

Are you kidding me? If you look up the OM score for a PFT of 86 and assuming you are doing 'well' in everything else (top third commanders ranking, 3.8 gpa, 95 pcsm, SP at FT) you are easily at an 91 OM score. Now supposedly an OM of 82 can "guarantee" a slot and lower than that you still have a good shot.

If you up the PFT all the way to the max of 100 your OM score only goes up to 92.4. Your PFT score, while important, does not make or break your pilot slot chances. Be active in the corps and get a high commanders ranking. Focus on classes and don't get a C in a class so you can go work out 7 days a week.

EDIT: To clarify

Maybe it's just at my Det but everyone who has received a pilot slot for the past 4 years, including myself, has had a PFA in the mid to high 90s. The average PFA score this last cycle was 94.5. Cadets with high PFAs are more than likely going to also be your high speed ones who will get a high CC ranking, high GPA, high FT score, and decently good PCSM. If you're scoring in the low to mid 80s, you won't be prepared physically for FT and as a result your performance will suffer. Your CC ranking will probably suffer as well because the perception will be there that you aren't giving it 110%. Sure, if you have a 95 PCSM and 3.8 GPA, it probably won't affect you but how many people can boast those numbers? The average PCSM this last cycle was 56 and the average GPA was ~3.3.

Guest GFYHUA?

Your PFT (now PFA) score only factors a small amount into your Order of Merit (OM). It only factors 10 points out of 100 (actually 99 somehow). Go to www.wantscheck.com to check all this stuff out. Click on Pilot Slot Resources, then ROTC Pilot slots or whatever you are in. You won't know everything now if you are only a 100/200 till you go to FT, take your TBAS (In order to get your PCSM).

Back to the PFA. It's not about how high your score is, but it does show what your made of. It all comes down to your commander's personal view of you for your ranking. If you are a beast, and you cant max it based off waist your commander won't rank you lower because of it. Think of it this way, you look better on paper and therefore you are more "qualified" to get a pilot slot or whatever you want. Just don't screw yourself over when you could have done more.

For FT:

The PFA you take in the Spring semester counts towards your score for getting a FT Allocation in the end of February. You take a QFR PFA, which is the same thing as usual a month before the end of the semester. That's the score that qualifies you to go after you get your FT Allocation from Big Week. While at FT you take 3 PFA's (may be change for the future FTs) and you have to pass them or you will get the boot home.

-FT has the same points (10) as PFA for your Order of Merit. Once again, it makes you look good on paper, but it's really not a ball buster for rated slots. I know lots of cadets who got middle third and even bottom that still got slots.

OM: PCSM, CC ranking (RSS), GPA, FT ranking, PFA (those are the things to concentrate on and do good with for slots

Do good, don't suck is a good motto for that, oh and lots of :beer:

Guest F16crewdwgg
Don't take a loan. It really won't help your chances anymore than not joining AAS will hurt it. If you want to make yourself look good then stop thinking up ways on how to 'make yourself look good'. Help other cadets, work on being active and practicing your leadership, and don't be 'that guy'. BS is easy to smell so make sure you do things with good intent and not just to look good because you won't

How can it not help me though? I thought flying hours 30+ helps u... Since I'm engineering I wan't any extra bit i can.. i don't mind taking out a loan. if it will better my chances..

How can it not help me though? I thought flying hours 30+ helps u... Since I'm engineering I wan't any extra bit i can.. i don't mind taking out a loan. if it will better my chances..

You might not mind now but you will when you have to repay $5,000. It may help your PCSM slightly which is only 15% of the total OM. You are spending a large sum of cash that you don't have to try and slightly boost a score that is only a fraction of your total OM. It just doesn't seem like a good use of your resources. You said you have a 3.1 GPA, maybe use that extra time and effort that would have been used for studying for a pilot's license to bring up your GPA. GPA is also 15% and you won't have to spend money you don't have. This will also make you look better for your commander's ranking. I've heard that a key item they look at is how well you balance school (GPA) with ROTC (activity).

• 6 months later...
Guest a_thomas

I searched the forums for "PFT" and nothing came up, so I'm not sure if this goes there or where ever it belongs. I was wondering how exactly the PFT is scored? Maybe someone who recently did the PFT could tell me how many sit-ups, push ups, and the time on their run. And then also post their scores for the PFT. That way I can have some kind of mental relation to scores vs. output.

Thanks in advance.

I searched the forums for "PFT" and nothing came up, so I'm not sure if this goes there or where ever it belongs. I was wondering how exactly the PFT is scored? Maybe someone who recently did the PFT could tell me how many sit-ups, push ups, and the time on their run. And then also post their scores for the PFT. That way I can have some kind of mental relation to scores vs. output.

Thanks in advance.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforce/a/affitness.htm

Now called the Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA), your score out of 100 is comprised of:

50 points for 1.5 mile run

30 points for abdominal circumference

10 points for push ups

10 points for sit ups

Follow the link to pull up male or female fitness component charts.

In order to max your PFA as a male under 25, you must run the 1.5 mile run in less than 9:36, waist < 32.5", 62 push ups in a minute, and 55 sit ups in one minute.