Mood Disorder Waiver

Guest mac3

This is for the flight doc's or other people who went through the same scenario. I was diagnosed with Mood D/O NOS in 2002 saw a head doctor off and on until the beginning of 2005 when I was cleared of treatment. Never suicidal, never homicidal, never psycho. I was on different meds over the course of my treatment as it is custom for psychiatrist to try something new until one is found that dosent have adverse effects on the pt. I think the longest one I was on was Lexapro. I can show where I have been performing like a normal person in society since that is what they want to see. I am in a flagship university, live in the dorm, & a member of the rowing team among other normal things. I have 3 recent seperate evaluations who all declare I am ok and show no signs of recurrence. my case will be 7 yrs old by the time of commision.

Flight Doc's what do you think my chances are for a waiver for flight training or will I need a waiver because I did not see Mood D/O NOS on NOMI's site. From what I understand it is a very vague diagnosis?

This is for the flight doc's or other people who went through the same scenario. I was diagnosed with Mood D/O NOS in 2002 saw a head doctor off and on until the beginning of 2005 when I was cleared of treatment. Never suicidal, never homicidal, never psycho. I was on different meds over the course of my treatment as it is custom for psychiatrist to try something new until one is found that dosent have adverse effects on the pt. I think the longest one I was on was Lexapro. I can show where I have been performing like a normal person in society since that is what they want to see. I am in a flagship university, live in the dorm, & a member of the rowing team among other normal things. I have 3 recent seperate evaluations who all declare I am ok and show no signs of recurrence. my case will be 7 yrs old by the time of commision.

Flight Doc's what do you think my chances are for a waiver for flight training or will I need a waiver because I did not see Mood D/O NOS on NOMI's site. From what I understand it is a very vague diagnosis?

Not a flight doctor, but I will tell you, I am in the same boat. I've heard mixed things from people (couple different flight doctors to). If I were you, I'd look ROTC route. One of the biggest parts in getting that slot (ROTC) is CC recommendation. If he/she can see that your normal and worth the Air Forces time, you'll probably be fine. I can see OTS being a problem since they don't have much to base your issue off of. ROTC allows military personal to view your behavior under stress and how you work with a team. Do good in school, ROTC assignments, CC ranking, PT scores, and if haven't already (wouldn't hurt) get some flight time/knowledge to add to it. Do everything you can to show your gold and I think (IMO) that you'll be alright.

Get off the med's if you haven't already. I believe its 1 year minimum if your applying OTS.

Mood disorder isn't that big of a deal. Everyone pretty much has it. Now if you were Bipolar or Skizzo, then your in trouble....

From what I understand, it is a vague diagnosis. Who doesn't have stress brought on my situational challenge? But know this, if you present yourself like your worried about it, you'll probably run into more hurdles. Present yourself like an Officer and stay relaxed. I've spoken with pilots who got waivers for some really funky stuff. Stay positive.

You wanna ask me any questions about my situation, PM me.

Edited by yerfer

• 1 month later...
Guest laxman888

Is a suicide attempt while a minor still detrimental to your record to the point there is no chance for flight? What about this factor and ROTC? And one more quick thing. I sincerely believe that this was a situation thing and that a large part of it may have been due to the prozac i was on. Recent studies have shown that this increases suicidal thoughts in teens/adolescents. I am sorry if this is coming off as an excuse, but I need to try to get this waiver, or at least fly commercial. Honestly, i hate excuses but im just throwing this out there to find the most info as possible. For P27 i guess, is there any chance? Also does the fact that this all happened before i was 18 play any part into it? What about a nav spot?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by laxman888

Guest awfltdoc
Is a suicide attempt while a minor still detrimental to your record to the point there is no chance for flight? What about this factor and ROTC? And one more quick thing. I sincerely believe that this was a situation thing and that a large part of it may have been due to the prozac i was on. Recent studies have shown that this increases suicidal thoughts in teens/adolescents. I am sorry if this is coming off as an excuse, but I need to try to get this waiver, or at least fly commercial. Honestly, i hate excuses but im just throwing this out there to find the most info as possible. For P27 i guess, is there any chance? Also does the fact that this all happened before i was 18 play any part into it? What about a nav spot?

Thanks in advance!

laxman888's situation is much different than mac3's. Both would require a waiver because Depression is a disqualifying condition. Be advised, you'll also hit some roadblocks with the commercial route as well. However, there are ongoing studies in pilots with depression and on certain medications in Australia. Last I heard though the FAA is not allowing the use of meds while flying.

• 1 month later...
Guest littlebitak
laxman888's situation is much different than mac3's. Both would require a waiver because Depression is a disqualifying condition. Be advised, you'll also hit some roadblocks with the commercial route as well. However, there are ongoing studies in pilots with depression and on certain medications in Australia. Last I heard though the FAA is not allowing the use of meds while flying.

I was on Lexapro over 2 years ago for a period of 6-8 months, off and on. I went to an after hours Urgent Care doctor one day when I'd had a bad day at work. I wanted a strep test because I was sick and at some point during my visit with the doctor I started crying (simply because I was sick and knew I'd get yelled at for having to call in to work the next day...I'm a teacher and didn't want to get my kids sick). Anyway, the doctor made a snap judgment and decided that I needed anti-depressants. He never referred me to counseling and his supposed diagnosis was based on that 5-10 minute visit with him. He wasn't even my family practitioner; like I said, I just wanted a strep test and it was after hours for my doctor.

That doctor is currently out of practice; he was sued by the federal government for illegally prescribing medications to patients.

Anyway, I was DQed when I went for my general physical at MEPS. I explained to the doctor my situation and he agreed that that doctor should *not* have prescribed me with anti-depressants. Apparently my sensitive job code is a B instead of an F, and I now will be unable to obtain a TS security clearance. I have a few questions:

1) Should I have been DQed based on this information? (Is there a reg that states that anyone who was on anti-depressants, even if not depressed, must be DQed?)

2) Is there any way my sensitive job code can be changed?

3) If I should *not* have been DQed, is there anyway to reverse the waiver process so that I do not need a waiver, and to get my SJC changed?

4) Is there a specific period of time that someone had to take the anti-depressants for in order to be DQed? Like I said, I was only on them for 6-8 months off and on but the MEPS doc didn't ask me how long I took them.

Oh, and if it makes a difference, I am a civilian (NPS) applying for an OTS slot. I don't know if I'm eligible to apply for a rated slot because I think Navs and ABMs must have a TS clearance...I don't want to waste my time or anyone else's time applying for those slots if I won't be able to get them anyway, based on my sensitive job code.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

EDIT:

Apparently I have to have a psych eval...does anyone know how long it takes for a waiver to be approved (or not approved) after having a psych eval? I hope it's not another 3 months...I've been waiting since August to hear back about my waiver and I'm just now hearing about a psych eval that is going to be scheduled 'soon.' I'm worried that it'll take another 3 months for my waiver to go through and I will then miss my deadline for the OTS Board I'm hoping to apply for. :(

EDIT #2:

Never mind. I had my psych eval and consult with the MEPS CMO and she decided to ahead and qualify me since she didn't think I should have been DQ'ed to begin with. Woot.

Edited by littlebitak

• 3 months later...

I've got a question for you guys:

From what I've come across in researching this matter--someone who's been on anti-depressants has to wait 1 year after I've been off the meds to be able to pass a physical, without being DQed. Is this true?

As for my situation, I'm trying to apply to the October '08 OTS board. I went off of my prozac in August '07, so would I technically have to wait until August of this year to take my physical in order to hopefully not get DQed for taking the meds? I've read that I'll most likely need to get some sort of waiver for my use of the meds (apparently the AF requires anyone who has used anti-depressants in the past to get a waiver for their use of such drugs--regardless of the reason(s) for which they were taken).

The problem that this causes is that I will also need a waiver for my eyesight, on top of the one my anti-depressant meds, and the deadline for submitting packages for the October board is September 17th. So now I don't think I'll even be able to make the October board, because getting waivers processed/approved usually takes several months, in a best-case scenario.

What do you think would be the best thing for me to do in this situation? Should I go ahead and take my chances by going to take my physical early, and risk getting DQed, or should I wait until August, and risk not getting my package submitted on time?

Anyone who can help I'd appreciate it!

• 4 months later...

Just wondering if there's any flight docs out there that can help me out with my post above.

My recruiter sent in the letter last week that my doc who prescribed the meds gave me that said I'm OK and not going to suffer any relapses, etc. My recruiter called me back and apparently they need all of my documentation from them.

Any flight docs think I have a shot at getting approved to take my physical, so that I can FINALLY finish this dang OTS application?

Just wondering if there's any flight docs out there that can help me out with my post above.

My recruiter sent in the letter last week that my doc who prescribed the meds gave me that said I'm OK and not going to suffer any relapses, etc. My recruiter called me back and apparently they need all of my documentation from them.

Any flight docs think I have a shot at getting approved to take my physical, so that I can FINALLY finish this dang OTS application?

Not a flight doc, but from my experience you will most likely go in for a psych eval and from there you might get a waiver.

Guest P27:17
I've got a question for you guys:

From what I've come across in researching this matter--someone who's been on anti-depressants has to wait 1 year after I've been off the meds to be able to pass a physical, without being DQed. Is this true?

As for my situation, I'm trying to apply to the October '08 OTS board. I went off of my prozac in August '07, so would I technically have to wait until August of this year to take my physical in order to hopefully not get DQed for taking the meds? I've read that I'll most likely need to get some sort of waiver for my use of the meds (apparently the AF requires anyone who has used anti-depressants in the past to get a waiver for their use of such drugs--regardless of the reason(s) for which they were taken).

The problem that this causes is that I will also need a waiver for my eyesight, on top of the one my anti-depressant meds, and the deadline for submitting packages for the October board is September 17th. So now I don't think I'll even be able to make the October board, because getting waivers processed/approved usually takes several months, in a best-case scenario.

What do you think would be the best thing for me to do in this situation? Should I go ahead and take my chances by going to take my physical early, and risk getting DQed, or should I wait until August, and risk not getting my package submitted on time?

Anyone who can help I'd appreciate it!

I would submit my package in Sep...you'll have been off the meds about a year and as long as there is no Paul Harvey's "Rest of the Story" it will be an easy waiver to get. Have all of your records on this issue available when you go for your physical...a current eval from you psych/Doc would be nice (if it's glowing) and hopefully the Flight Surgeon can be ready to submit the waiver right at the one year mark.

Once you've reached the one year mark off the meds and as long as there are no other related issues...a waiver should be easy to get.

Thanks P27:17. Ya my rec called yesterday and said that he's supposed to be getting all my documentation from the counselor and other doc by end of today, hopefully. He's going to submit and then wait to see if I'll be given permission to come down to MEPS for the physical. By the time I (hopefully) go down there, it'll have been a year since I've been off the meds, give or take a week or two. I'm just hoping that if they decide I need a waiver at that point, that it'll get approved in time for me to submit my app by the deadline in early Sept.

• 3 years later...

Can anyone tell me if the psych eval is still standard procedure? I had a type of mood disorder, along with an anxiety disorder put down in my records (yet neither was never treated in any way) that I never had, and would hate to lose the chance to go OTS/UPT based on something that doesn't fit me in the records. I have no doubt that an evaluation would give me a clean bill of mental health, and I have a letter from a psychologist giving me the same.

You love the going to the Doc too much to have a chance to become a pilot. Give it up.

I never "loved" going to the doc, and rarely do. But when you are growing up and your mother is worried about something and you get sent to the doctors, guess what? You go to the doc. It isn't like I'm some whiny ass adult who goes in over every last thing. The specific question I'm dealing with here was something that was never a valid diagnosis (and I actually know a lot about diagnostic processes and such due to my current job), it wasn't something I went to the doctor about in the first place, and was years ago and is complete and total bull. I'm here to get the input of flight docs or other people who have been through waiver processes. So don't waste your time telling me to give up, as I won't until I get bad news from a recruiter.

You have been given the advice to get your physical and make the Doc try to find something wrong instead of standing on the exam table and shouting out loud and proud that this one time at band camp you got dizzy and depressed. You scoff that advice even though that is the best advice you will ever get if you really want to be a pilot. The Flt Doc is for pilot's family members to get medical help, that's it.

Don't ask the Flt Doc how to get a waiver for something that you know is bullshit. Just keep your mouth shut and stop acting like your Mom taught you to act about running to the Dr for answers. Got it?

You have been given the advice to get your physical and make the Doc try to find something wrong instead of standing on the exam table and shouting out loud and proud that this one time at band camp you got dizzy and depressed.

Seems that the whole bit about it being easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission may apply here. Though I was always under the impression that that was merely common sense...

Can anyone tell me if the psych eval is still standard procedure? I had a type of mood disorder, along with an anxiety disorder put down in my records (yet neither was never treated in any way) that I never had, and would hate to lose the chance to go OTS/UPT based on something that doesn't fit me in the records. I have no doubt that an evaluation would give me a clean bill of mental health, and I have a letter from a psychologist giving me the same.

Pretty sure if it was over 7 years ago you don't have to list it on the application. You'd be surprised what you learn from being one of those paranoid bastards who always reads the fine print.

Pretty sure if it was over 7 years ago you don't have to list it on the application. You'd be surprised what you learn from being one of those paranoid bastards who always reads the fine print.

I haven't seen an application yet, just a medical prescreening thing from my recruiter. Reading the fine print is definitely something that I do. So this is good to know and is helpful information. Thanks!

• 9 months later...

Hey guys,

This seems the best place to ask this, so, would a diagnosis of mild adolescent depression be disqualifying? I am 24 and am looking to apply for a pilot slot in about a year through OTS. This diagnosis happened in late '05 and I went to see a psychologist 3 times before I stopped going as I was feeling much better. Last time I went was around April of '06. I was not on any anti-depressants or any other medication for this condition. Thanks for the help!

Edited by Kemosabe

For anything psychiatric related, the doc's are going to want a copy of the original MH records. Give them a copy during your initial physical. If you can't get a copy due to treatment being too many years ago, you'll need to see MH again, on your own dime, and preferably the same shrink. You do have a very good chance of meeting criteria in AFI 48-123 para. 6.44.24.2.1. and not needing a waiver, but that's for the Flight Doc to decide. Also check out the discussion here: http://www.afforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=44120

If you talked to a dude 3 times 7 years ago and had nothing related since, then I'm not sure why you're even asking this question or even considering putting this on paper. If you have to track down a doc from 7 years ago for something extremely minor (copy, 17 year old kid wasn't happy with how things were going), then you're doing this wrong. Or you could roll the dice and tell them how you sprained your wrist bad this one time, MAYBE they'll be cool and give you a waiver. Your life and your dream, do what you want.

Edited by brabus