Advice on running/jogging

Guest Tertle

Guest ShortThrow

Yep, I am a terrible runner, always have been. The only time I would run before ROTC was sprinting for baseball or the occasional mile run for P.E.. I am still very athletic if you can picture that, although some may not consider me athletic since I have a hard time with a mile run. But you get the idea.

To give you a sense on how poor my endurance is, I have ver difficult time with the 1.5 mile test. I can usually run at a 7-8 minute/mile pace for about .5-.75 miles, then I hit a wall and either drop back dramatically or hurl, yes I know pathetic...

The Cadre has been lenient with me because I am a newer cadet with no background in running or running sports. Also they realize that I am really determined and can max out on pushups and situps (not that maxing is uncommon or terribly difficult.) But as you can imagine, being beat by the girls in my wing (no offense) is pretty embarrassing for me, let alone having trouble even completing the run portion of the test. I feel like a total Pu*** having to drop out or fall back during our PT runs, even though everyone ensures me that I well make progress and be able to do it soon enough.

Currently, I am trying to run 4 days a week, with a 12 minute jog/run and pushing it for the last minute or so, then some pushups/situps, then catch my breath and then another 5-8 minutes or so of running.

With all that said, does anyone have any tips for me? Possibly tips on what and when to eat the morning of our work outs, or just general tips/routines, ideas to accelerate progress?

I'm looking for any advice on the matter, because frankly, I am sick of sucking.

Thanks in advance!

[ 24. February 2006, 11:49: Message edited by: ShortThrow ]

Sprint, I improved a lot by doing interval training. Warm up for a lap or two on a 1/4 mile track. Then sprint a lap (if you cannot do a full lap at about 90% max sprint, do 1/2 a lap), rest for a lap by jogging and do it again. It is important to push yourself as opposed to some people that just like to run around a circle for 10-15 minutes. Also mix it up with a long run day to improve endurance. Lastly find someone that is running at a time you are shooting for and run with them, try to keep up. Having someone to push you or someone to catch helps a lot.

Guest KoolKat

"because frankly, I am sick of sucking."

Tip #0: Think before you talk/type. Self explainatory...

Tip #1: Buy a stopwatch and keep it with you and reference it as you run to see how your pace is going.

Tip #2: Set-up short term, modest goals that incrementally lead up to your long-term goal. Divide the amount of time you have to get there, say minus a week or 2, then divide the difference between here and there by those days. Make your improvement goals that modest. It will be easier to squeak out the added effort required to meet goals that way.

Tip #3: Do your push-ups and sit-ups BEFORE your run/jog. It makes a big difference when your running the entire distance; This is extra important for you, since endurance is your issue. Running the distance, then the other, then short doesn't make sense. You can get to a good pace, but then put the other excercises in front of it, then run the entire distance, your back to smoking pole...TRAIN THE WAY THAT YOU WANT TO PERFORM so you can understand your deficiency AND see yourself improve.That concept doesn't apply only to a PT test.

Tip #4: Eat well, obviously, but not just the morning of...do it regularly, you'll need to energy...

Tip #5: If you know your going to ralph, do your self a favor and eat bananas (this should already be comfortable for you since...)

So to recap: Think, Watch, Goals, Test Format, Eat well, Stop smoking pole & satisfy your oral fixation with some bannanas.

BENDY

Heres my input:

Run 1.5miles timed on hills - if you can do 1230 on the hills, you can do 1230 on the PFT.

Run down hill - this will help lengthen your stride on flat surfaces.

Go for longer runs - run 30mins without stopping and you should be able run 1.5miles fine.

Try weight training - this will improve your strength/endurance in all aspects.

Breathing - swimming is a good way to build endurance as well as pacing your breathing. When running try to take big, deep breaths every few paces...no huffing and puffing. More oxygen = more endurance.

It does take work and its not gonna happen over night. I suck at running too, I get 12mins, but thats because I dont really care. I maxed at FT, and thats where youll want to max it, that and for the pilot board. Good Luck!

Guest siccmade5150

what worked for me was simply breathing differently when you run. before i would just breath in and out of my mouth which really tired me out and gave me side aches, but then i was told that was wrong and i should breath in with my mouth and breath out with my nose. trust me, just try it one way when you run until you get tired to see how far you can go, then do it the other way and see how much better you feel after you lost that gut.

Guest DaRevrend

For me it all clicked when someone suggested controlled breathing. Breathe out for three steps and then in on your fourth (harder than it sounds and requires pretty solid discipline to not just freak out and breathe whenever you feel like it). Develop a rhythm consistent with your pace and stick with it. Try to maximize your stride as much as possible and before you know it you will be on cruise control with no side aches. Push yourself towards the last lap or two when you know how much gas you have left in the tank, and then leave it all out on the track.

Trust me, I'm not a small dude at 6'2" just shy of a deuce but I can get my sh*t around around the track in a hurry and confuse the hell out of those dudes that max the waist then get smoked by me.

Rev

I broke my knee about two years ago (2 surgeries and 5 months of physical therapy) and here's what the physical therapist gave me for a return to run program. Accomplish the following 4 times per week:

Week 1: Run 2 minutes / Walk 4 minutes / Repeat 5x

Week 2: Run 3min / Walk 3 min / Repeat 5x

Week 3: Run 5min / Walk 2.5min / Repeat 4x

Week 4: Run 7min / Walk 3min / Repeat 3x

Week 5: Run 8min / Walk 2min / Repeat 3x

Week 6: Run 9min / Walk 2min / Repeat 2x, then run 8min

Week 7: Run 9min / Walk 1min / Repeat 3x

Week 8: Run 13min / Walk 2min / Repeat 2x

Week 9: Run 14min / Walk 1min / Repeat 2x

Week 10: Run 30 min

Obviously this was for starting from ground zero. Feel free to jump into the program at your current running level.

Good Luck

Hoser

[ 24. February 2006, 20:46: Message edited by: Hoser ]

Guest aschmidt23

the best advice for someone who is looking to improve the run time on the PFT is to not run...i know this sounds crazy and a lot of people are going to jump on me for this. It is known that running is very stressful on the joints and frame of the body. so if you are training you want something that is going to be stressfree on the body while working on maximum oxygen intake and lung capacity...SWIMMING!!! swimming is the best exercise you can do for your heart...at first just get in and swim 100 meters then stop for a minute or two, the do it again...for the first week do this up to about 500 or 600 meters. after the first week of swimming, go running and time your 1.5 mile run. if your time doesn't improve dramatically you have some serious physical or mental issues and you need to consult a physician immediately...the benefits of a strong swimming routine are very noticable in a short amount of time. let me know how it works for you.

- after the first week at 500 meters per day go up 100 to 200 meters a week or even a day till you can't go anymore. after a while see if you can swim a mile about 2400 meters.

[ 25. February 2006, 11:05: Message edited by: aschmidt23 ]

Guest flecth033

Aschimidt Is right about swiming being good, however you have to keep some running in your program. If you don't, when you hit the PFT you might get lower back and knee pain. Plus you have to already be a decent swimmer and have good form, breathing technique, or you can become discouraged fast. Try starting out with some fins if you aren't all that great with form. You can also run in the pool for a good workout.

I would also use everybodies advice on just running for a certain amount of time while working on your pace. Definately do some interval training (like Dwiffs program). Just don't overboard with any of the running you do or you can get shin splints and then you for sure won't run for awhile. As far as places, treadmills suck unless you have a chick with a nice ass running in front of you, sidewalks and the road our bad on your joints especially for beginners. Obviously the track is best. For intervals use a football field thats kept nice (no holes). Run however many yards, walk back and then run again, intervals help a lot. Eat good, hit up some pasta or oatmeal with a bananna before you run, and drink a sports drink during your breaks. Also make sure your shoes are good for running, you would be surprised about how much difference a good pair of shoes may help. This info may be a little to much, but it should help, good luck.

Guest Viperfixer

good call on the shoes flyguy, a quality pair of running shoes is a great investment, they won't suddenly make you run faster, but they will protect your joints (from heel to back) and give you a better level of comfort, especially for longer distances.

Originally posted by siccmade5150:

what worked for me was simply breathing differently when you run. before i would just breath in and out of my mouth which really tired me out and gave me side aches, but then i was told that was wrong and i should breath in with my mouth and breath out with my nose.

This is wrong! I played college soccer and just got done with a marathon last week so I know what I am talking about. In your nose, out your mouth will prevent cramping. Try to breath to the beat of your footsteps. Start out with in for two step, out for two steps...then work your way up to three and three, four and four..you get the picture. Set up a schedule for yourself for each week. Run longer distances some of the days and shorter distances others. Pick a long run, like four or five miles (long for you before some Ironman triathlete jumps on my case). Then run as much of it as you can and walk the rest. Each time you do it, try and make it to a further point. This way you are less likely to quit knowing you will still have to walk the rest back home!

Combine this with 3/4 days of lifting per week:

MON: Full PFT, keep track of progress

TUES: 4 mile run as much as possible, walk the rest

WED: Intervals (Run a lap, jog a lap) = to three miles

THURS: 4 mile run as much as possible, walk the rest

FRI: OFF

SAT: 6 mile run as much as possible, walk the rest

SUN: crosstrain (swim, bike, jump rope) for 45 minutes

[ 25. February 2006, 16:09: Message edited by: CrateOfThunder ]

Guest 92T0Jackal

There have already been a lot of great suggestions on how to improve the run, in addition to that type of training consider resistence training.

Lifting weights will give you more muscle, and quality muscle. You arent trying to get a 4 minute mile so dont think for one second that gaining muscle will slow you down.

I would really like to see the AF have a more proactive approach to fitness. The problems with the current physical fitness tests are numerous and are covered in plenty of other posts so I'll leave that one alone.

Message me if you want some good information on fitness/eating healthy.

Guest aschmidt23

in terms of the swimming/running routine flyguy couldn't be more right. swimming is the best for your heart and joints but you must also use it in conjunction with running so you don't hurt yourself when it comes time to do the PFT. there are a lot of people out there who think that just running around a track for 4 miles is good (which it is) but train like you fight. the only way you are going to get good at running on the PFT is by running the damn thing. i dreaded waking up in the morning to take a PFT at FT but after the second or third you see that your times are consistantly going up and up. try swimming 3 or 4 days a week (depending on ability) and one day a week get a spotter and run an actual PFT. As for the "non-swimmers" who want the benefits of swimming, fins are a great suggestion and if you aren't to sure what stroke is best for maximum results start out with freestyle and if you are getting no where fast try a side stroke or even breast stroke. both of those are great. another great suggestion i read on here is the running in the shallow end. AN AMAZING WORKOUT AND STRESSFREE ON THE JOINTS.

Guest siccmade5150
Originally posted by CrateOfThunder:

This is wrong! I played college soccer and just got done with a marathon last week so I know what I am talking about. In your nose, out your mouth will prevent cramping. Try to breath to the beat of your footsteps. Start out with in for two step, out for two steps...then work your way up to three and three, four and four..you get the picture. Set up a schedule for yourself for each week. Run longer distances some of the days and shorter distances others. Pick a long run, like four or five miles (long for you before some Ironman triathlete jumps on my case). Then run as much of it as you can and walk the rest. Each time you do it, try and make it to a further point. This way you are less likely to quit knowing you will still have to walk the rest back home!

Combine this with 3/4 days of lifting per week:

MON: Full PFT, keep track of progress

TUES: 4 mile run as much as possible, walk the rest

WED: Intervals (Run a lap, jog a lap) = to three miles

THURS: 4 mile run as much as possible, walk the rest

FRI: OFF

SAT: 6 mile run as much as possible, walk the rest

SUN: crosstrain (swim, bike, jump rope) for 45 minutes

I was nearly in the same position as you ShortThrow. I'm an AS200 now, but my first PFT last year was 12:44. Throughout high school I was always a sprinter. Anything longer than a mile and I thought my lungs were going to explode.

About a month ago I took a PFT and managed to run a 9:50 (with the help of a friend pacin' me... but still, I some how managed to keep up).

What helped me the most is running on a tread mill. I know some people hate them, but I've learned to like them. The reason being is that when I normally run outside, my pace will slow down after a mile or two. On a tread mill, I set it to roughly a 7 minute mile pace and try to run for 21 minutes (3 miles). Obviously you probably want to start out at a slower pace and improve from there. I started out somewhere around a 7mph pace and increased by .1 every day. Eventually I got up to 8.5mph (where I'm at now) and it has helped me a great deal.

More importantly though, I am a firm believer that running is 75% mental. When you're running, you probably start thinking about how much it sucks (at least I do) and usually that makes you stop a LOT sooner than your body is capable of. On the treadmill, I was only able to run for about 15 minutes at a 8.5mph pace and I felt dead afterwards. Well, I invested in a MP3 player and told myself "Run for 5 songs at this pace and I'm done". I cover up the time/distance readings with a towel usually too. 5 songs later I checked the time and sure enough, I was around 21 minutes. It's like once you do it, you know you're capable of doing it so there is no excuse why you can't do it (does that make sense? haha). Breaking barriers I guess you could call it.

On top of that, I lift as well which I'm sure has helped out. Also, run off the treadmill as well. If you run strictly on the treadmill, your leg muscles won't be too happy when it comes time to take the PFT (at least from my experience). A combination of both is the best, treadmill for maintaining pace and increasing endurance, running outside for building leg muscle endurance. Anyways, sorry for the long rambling. ;P Bottom line - Just keep at it. I use to think it was physically impossible for me to run long distance... like I was a defective human being or something, but just keep pushin' and you'll improve. ;)

Just don't make the mistake I did these past few weeks. FTP takes up so much damn time I haven't been able to go to the gym for a while. My last PFD I ran the 1.5 in 11:28, yikes. And to think my goal is 9:00, hehe. ;) Anywho, good luck!

EDIT: I'm going to start a routine like CrateofThunder posted. I've read a lot of articles from runners that mention similar routines which seem to be very effective.

[ 27. February 2006, 22:35: Message edited by: Mun ]

• 1 year later...
Guest gatorpilot20

Hi Everyone,

I did a search but couldn’t find anything on this exact subject. Can anyone recommend a running routine that will help increase my distance and speed? I played basketball in college but never had to run more than 3-4 miles continuously. Running just to run on the treadmill is really hard for me to do. How could I best prepare myself for AMS/UPT workouts, should I be able to run for an hour or longer without any trouble?

Thanks in advance

Distance versus speed; are you looking to be able to run long distances or sprints? The way you train for distance running is a lot different than you do for speed.

If you are looking to run distance and you have a track available then alternate what you do each day. For example, Monday run 2-3 miles. On Tuesday, head to the track and run 400's or 800's empasizing speed. The next day, run 2-3 miles again. Thursday do some more speed work such as ladders (400, 600, 800, 800, 600, 400). Then rest for the next 2-3 days and do it all again the next week (increasing your milage and decreasing your times).

I'm not a long distance runner, but I did stay...

I keed, I keed, but I do run sprints and jumps. This is just some of the stuff our long distance guys do, except they are running 30-60 miles a week.

Guest gatorpilot20

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try your running workouts and start studying limits/ops. Besides the 1.5 mile conditioning test, what type of mileage should I be ready for?

Guest Sparrow910

At sheppard we have a signout board and you just sign off three times a week that you did some sort of PT....you don't have to do anything if you don't want. Seriously though advanced form requires a little muscle. At the centerfuge they told us the best workout for a good G strain is running sprints and workout legs and abs. Squats are a pilots best friend. I also found it nice to work on my neck muscles a little, looking at your six at 5 G's can be a little stressful without a strong neck.

Also, you will take the FACT test at some point early in training. I don't know the exact figures off hand, but you are required to do arm curls, chest press, lat pull, leg curl, and leg press....all based on a percentage of your body weight. (http://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/physicalfitness.html) So, if you are going to a fighter unit, I think you will have to pass this test by IFF.

Good Luck

If you're going to suddenly get all gung ho about running, do yourself a favor and go to a running store and have them lace you up with shoes that are not going to leave you injured with your sudden spike in running activity, especially if you have flat feet or excessively high arches. Believe me, you might think that 90 bucks is a lot for running shoes, but if running is your goal, you WILL eventually get them. Whether that's before or after you f*ck up half your lower body is up to you. Also, take your sweet time with stretching, and don't increase your mileage any more than 10% per week. Have fun!

At sheppard we have a signout board and you just sign off three times a week that you did some sort of PT....you don't have to do anything if you don't want.

Signed something off that you didn't do........Nice Integrity!

Think about that the next time you go fly your airplane, and you are inspecting the 781, and that little voice in the back of your skull will say "did the chief really do that ejection seat inspection that I might need to save my life, or did he just sign it off?"

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

One word is all you need to know for a good workout if you're short on time: CrossFit. This program is pure gold here at UPT. The time you have to devote to working out during UPT all depends on your flight commander and your own schedule. Our CC is a huge proponent of fitness so he gives us time to work out during the day if the flying schedule allows it. Our wing is also trying to push a mandatory one-day-a-week group PT session, so depending on our flying schedule we usually have flight PT one day a week which is great. You might have a similar situation.

Don't stress out about the studying. I was in your shoes last year and thought that if I studied the dash-1, 11-217, etc I'd have more time to devote to other shit once I got here. Honestly, because of the way the program is designed you'll end up wasting all of your free time in the process (trust me I know). If anything, study your BFs and ops limits and know those cold (T-6s are back to 7Gs btw) and maybe the 11-248, if that. Other than that, everything else will be a waste of your time.

Guest gatorpilot20

Hey Laqquer

Thanks for the cross-fit website! I heard about that before from another pilot but never actually found the website. I’m going to try some of those workouts. Thanks. Hey is there any place to ride bikes or mtn. bike for a workout during free time, if and when there’s free time? I just started racing mtn. bikes last year, and it’s a pretty good workout!

Also, could you explain how the program is set up so that studying before hand is not helpful? Do they teach you exactly what you need to know, so that if you study before hand you may be studying to general? Is that right? This is not the first time I heard this, so I was just curious.

Thanks