Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LowerJumper

Helicopter Track

I just graduated from SUPT-H in June. If anyone has any questions regarding the Helicopter track feel free to ask here. 

• Like 1

Hey LowerJumper, congrats! I received a slot for HH60's earlier this year, now still just waiting on FC1 and dates due to COVID. I couldn't be more excited to fly helo's. If you don't mind me asking, are you guard/reserve/active? And how many were in your SUPT-H class? Was the transition from fixed wing to the Huey difficult? 

Thanks! 

Congrats on getting the 60 slot. I'm guard which honestly made UPT much more enjoyable. There were 8 students in my helo class at Rucker. I would say the average is between 4-10. It just depends on how many people are tracking helos out of T-6's. The transition from fixed wing to helos wasn't too bad. Rucker has a great program and the instructors are very thorough. I knew more about the Huey than I ever did about the T-6. The learning in T-6's is largely computer based vs. the instructor led classes at Rucker. Obviously the flying is different so it takes some mental adjustment (i.e. during emergencies a helicopter can land basically anywhere so it changes how you think). Plus learning how to hover is challenging at first but comes pretty quick. 

Hey LJ, 

Could you clarify how the UPT Helicopter track works? All i know so far is that we go T-6 then head to Rucker for Huey. How long is the Huey training? And do the UPT students that track helos, do we immediately head to Rucker or is there a long wait? I have a 60 slot. Thanks!