Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
definitelymaybe

The longest of long shots...

Recommended Posts

Trying to get back on topic here -- I neglected to mention something:

I have a bit of a criminal record - from 2003. Petty Larceny but dropped to a violation and I had to pay a fine. I was young and stupid. Other than that I have a couple of traffic violations from a year ago (following too closely and failure to merge. I was in traffic on my motorcycle and I wanted to get out of said traffic quickly). I have been a saint since that only thing in 2003. 16 years ago.

I'm worried that I'm already too old and they're going to see that when they do a background check and just tell me to not quit my day job, so to speak. 

Thoughts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, definitelymaybe said:

36 this year.

Should have read your original post. Sry. There was a guy I knew that got picked up at 35 for a fighter unit. Another dude that was sent to UPT at 37 but he was a 10 yr nav with heavy wing CC backing and maybe a LOR from a star. 

Edited by CharlieHotel47
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting an LOR from a captain (current ANG aviator). Unfortunately I am not heavily connected. I am going for heavies, navigator or RPT and also non-rated. Really just want the opportunity to serve my country. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) this is something that I was inspired by a bit later in life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

I knew that got picked up at 35 for a fighter unit.

Surprised to read this. I assume he was prior service?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, definitelymaybe said:

Trying to get back on topic here -- I neglected to mention something:

I have a bit of a criminal record - from 2003. Petty Larceny but dropped to a violation and I had to pay a fine. I was young and stupid. Other than that I have a couple of traffic violations from a year ago (following too closely and failure to merge. I was in traffic on my motorcycle and I wanted to get out of said traffic quickly). I have been a saint since that only thing in 2003. 16 years ago.

I'm worried that I'm already too old and they're going to see that when they do a background check and just tell me to not quit my day job, so to speak. 

Thoughts? 

I still wouldn't worry too much. Unless you're quitting your job to make this opportunity come to life, then you have nothing to lose. If you give it an honest shot and don't get picked up for your criminal record, or low scores or *insert reason here*, then you can sleep at night knowing you did something about it i.e. tried to pursue your dreams. Keep applying and obviously highlight your strengths. No one is a saint and it may even show you are human if you don't have a perfect slate. 

I had a record for "disturbing the peace" (school fist fight), which happened to be an entertaining story for the studs I interviewed with. Don't sweat it too much. Just work hard and hope for the best. 🤙

Edited by iRobot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm double retired, 20 years in the Air Force, followed by 20 years in a couple of small Austin software startups.

I agree with the commentator that if you are working at a FANG in a technical position you would be crazy to go active duty at age 36.    Max out your 401K and do some conservative investing, you'll be fine in your old age!

I do understand that tech companies consider people over more or less your age to be 'poor culture fits', but if I could work as a software developer until age 63, you can stay in tech also.   But I'm not you, I admit.

If you want to go to pilot training or as a non-rated officer,  apply for it and make them say no

As an American, I wish the USAF could get more FANG type people into the Cyber and Space related positions.   Good thing I'm not Dictator of America or I would probably just draft you to Security Hill in San Antonio!  😉

If I were you I'd look towards the guard or reserve.  My understanding is that the big FANG type companies are Guard/Reserve friendly.   You can stay in your high paid but maybe a little boring day job, and still live the glamorous life of an active duty officer enough to scratch that itch and earn a nice retirement package at age 60.  And you'd be ready to go if Uncle Sam gets his ass in a crack and really needs you!  

Edited to add:  You won't be stationed in the War Room, and 'Fly and Fight' is kind of a thing in the rest of the Air Force.  Don't worry about that.

Edited by JimNtexas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iRobot said:

I still wouldn't worry too much. Unless you're quitting your job to make this opportunity come to life, then you have nothing to lose. If you give it an honest shot and don't get picked up for your criminal record, or low scores or *insert reason here*, then you can sleep at night knowing you did something about it i.e. tried to pursue your dreams. Keep applying and obviously highlight your strengths. No one is a saint and it may even show you are human if you don't have a perfect slate. 

I had a record for "disturbing the peace" (school fist fight), which happened to be an entertaining story for the studs I interviewed with. Don't sweat it too much. Just work hard and hope for the best. 🤙

Haha sometimes I definitely think about quitting my job but I know that reserves/guard is a much better move (and if I get accepted and I love it I an still go AD if I want to). 

I appreciate the feedback as usual.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iRobot said:

I still wouldn't worry too much. Unless you're quitting your job to make this opportunity come to life, then you have nothing to lose. If you give it an honest shot and don't get picked up for your criminal record, or low scores or *insert reason here*, then you can sleep at night knowing you did something about it i.e. tried to pursue your dreams. Keep applying and obviously highlight your strengths. No one is a saint and it may even show you are human if you don't have a perfect slate. 

I had a record for "disturbing the peace" (school fist fight), which happened to be an entertaining story for the studs I interviewed with. Don't sweat it too much. Just work hard and hope for the best. 🤙

Bro you calling dudes studs? I could of swore it is the shortened version of "Stud-ent", but you straight up out here calling other dudes studs. Pause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JimNtexas said:

I'm double retired, 20 years in the Air Force, followed by 20 years in a couple of small Austin software startups.

I agree with the commentator that if you are working at a FANG in a technical position you would be crazy to go active duty at age 36.    Max out your 401K and do some conservative investing, you'll be fine in your old age!

I do understand that tech companies consider people over more or less your age to be 'poor culture fits', but if I could work as a software developer until age 63, you can stay in tech also.   But I'm not you, I admit.

If you want to go to pilot training or as a non-rated officer,  apply for it and make them say no

As an American, I wish the USAF could get more FANG type people into the Cyber and Space related positions.   Good thing I'm not Dictator of America or I would probably just draft you to Security Hill in San Antonio!  😉

If I were you I'd look towards the guard or reserve.  My understanding is that the big FANG type companies are Guard/Reserve friendly.   You can stay in your high paid but maybe a little boring day job, and still live the glamorous life of an active duty officer enough to scratch that itch and earn a nice retirement package at age 60.  And you'd be ready to go if Uncle Sam gets his ass in a crack and really needs you!  

Edited to add:  You won't be stationed in the War Room, and 'Fly and Fight' is kind of a thing in the rest of the Air Force.  Don't worry about that.

This is great input. My job is definitely boring. I won't go into details but the FAANG world isn't glamorous. As far as culture fit issues go I honestly think I would be perfect because I genuinely want to be there and serve. I know that sounds cheesy and Hollywood-ish. I promise it's not. Money is not an issue for me and I'm not in it for the retirement. My biggest regret is that I waited this long to realize what I want to do and I just hope it isn't too late. I have 3 years left and I will keep applying until the last possible second. I was told to not enlist, even though sometimes I want to just because it's a slightly easier path to hit my objective. I think I have a lot to offer and I don't have a huge ego (rare in my industry) and I want to be able to learn from others as well. Fingers crossed I guess?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...