Group Commander Feedback and Advice

Liquid

That video is MONEY. You absolutely MUST make the OG/CCs watch it. Put them in cages and play it 24/7 for days on end (a la survival school) until they really get it (sts) rather than just pay lip service.

Because most of them don't get it. The idea of sacrificing yourself (i.e. your career, promotion, good assignment, etc) for someone else in order for them to feel "safe" (as he puts it) and be more effective in their job is nearly unheard of in my recent experience. How many posts have you read about OG/CCs and Sq/CCs selling out their people just to move their own career along? What is happening in todays AF is the exact opposite of what he is talking about in that video!

And it needs to stop.

Thanks for posting the link.

I've always been disappointed and embarassed when Air Force leaders eat first at special events.

The deferential treatment that AF leaders get has always baffled me. It seems like when a guy pins on O-6 he becomes a demi-god with respect to how the underlings treat him. It only perpetuates the Emperor with no clothes syndrome.

The O-6's I most respect as people were down to earth and didn't want any of the pomp and circumstance. One told me if I ever told MX that an O-6 was flying again and had the glad hand parade meet him at the aircraft he'd Q-3 me. Another deployed as a squadron commander just because he wanted to deploy with the boys again and give his commanders a break, same guy would reply to a squadron all email to mock me about my LT choice to spend a stupid amount of money on car stereo equipment that I was trying to sell. He would also attend all naming ceremonies and toss out horrible names with the best of em. One AFSOC General would swing by the Pedro compound just to hang with the 60 guys and swap war stories because he used to fly the same bird. Why are guys like this handed a posse of tag alongs based on protocol, and why does the system promote the pomp?

Our leaders should be approachable people, if an O-6 expects different treatment based on his/her exalted rank, something is wrong. I would argue that treatment should make any normal person uncomfortable, if it doesn't that person has failed as a leader.

• Upvote 5

Our leaders should be approachable people, if an O-6 expects different treatment based on his/her exalted rank, something is wrong. I would argue that treatment should make any normal person uncomfortable, if it doesn't that person has failed as a leader.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Sinek's "Leaders Eat Last" and your comment reminded me of a story he tells in the book about "The Ceramic Cup". A great commentary on getting caught up in the "trappings" of high office. Was able to find the excerpt online:

http://www.inc.com/simon-sinek/how-humility-can-be-your-secret-weapon-as-a-boss.html

"Leaders Eat Last" is a phenomenal read. As is his first book "Start With Why" if you haven't already read it.

I came across this speech by Simon Sinek during some research and thought some of you would enjoy it. I plan to have the Group Commanders watch it and discuss.

This was definitely worth my time and believe it will be worth their time as well.

Well done, sir. Thank you!