Baseops Forums

What's a legacy connection?

Don’t start.
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Deuce362 said:

What's a legacy connection?

Your relatives are already members of the unit.  I said member......

This is worth what you paid for it, YMMV, etc, etc

I've seen a lot of my young enlisted guys tell me how they want to be a pilot.  They enlist for tuition assistance, money, experience, whatever.  All good reasons.  I'd say more than 90% of them never even get an application together and submit it.  Various reasons - most common is they drag their feet through school because they like being a crew chief/med tec/engine shop guy or the unit deploys and they have to go.  One thing leads to another and they are all the sudden scrambling at 29 to take the tests, finish school and rush the squadron.  Never works. 

If you enlist as a means to become a pilot, be warned: you aren't the first one to try it, some make it most (IME) don't.  I love my enlisted dudes, couldn't make it happen without them and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the work they do or the career they chose.  For a lot of them it was their second choice - just know that going in. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Engineer2Pilot said:

Is the 187th FW 3.0 gpa requirement a throw your app in the trash if you apply with a 2.52? Even with 90 pilot and pcsm? 

Only one way to find out!

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, FalconAg said:

Username/airframe checks

Walked into that one (STS)...

(going to have to STS every damn thing I say from now on.... geez...)

• Like 1

Speaking of the 187th, does anyone know if they are currently accepting packages and when the deadline to submit is?

Their website says they will start accepting packages in the spring of 2018 which has obviously passed. When I called the recruiter down there, he told me to keep checking the website for updates, but that portion of the website looks like it hasn’t been updated since 2017.

I wasn’t sure if this years board was possibly being cancelled or something since they’re slated to shift airframes.

1 hour ago, N730 said:

Speaking of the 187th, does anyone know if they are currently accepting packages and when the deadline to submit is?

Their website says they will start accepting packages in the spring of 2018 which has obviously passed. When I called the recruiter down there, he told me to keep checking the website for updates, but that portion of the website looks like it hasn’t been updated since 2017.

I wasn’t sure if this years board was possibly being cancelled or something since they’re slated to shift airframes.

http://www.187fw.ang.af.mil/Careers/Pilot-Hiring-Board-Information/

December.

The 176 Fighter Squadron (part of the 115 Fighter Wing) in Madison, WI will be having a hiring board for Undergraduate Pilot Training candidates seeking to fly the F-16 25 October 2018.  Packages are due 13 August 2018.  Please reference the below website for details.  

http://www.115fw.ang.af.mil/About/Careers/Pilot-Training/

Please email 176fs.upt@gmail with any questions. 

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:40 AM, WillFlyForCoffee said:

Just a last reminder- the packages for the105th Airlift Wing, 137th Airlift Squadron are due in by June 4th! Don't miss your shot to fly the Hudson Valley Hauler's C-17s!

Has anybody heard anything about when they will send out interview invites?

9 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

Has anybody heard anything about when they will send out interview invites?

I heard back on Wednesday. Hopefully you hear back within the week. 

So I’m not going to able to convince the wife to let me spend $250 on consulting for an application packet. I was talking to a guy earlier but he ghosted on me. Does anyone mind letting me look at their resume and cover letter for an example? Help a brother out.

18 minutes ago, Deuce362 said:

So I’m not going to able to convince the wife to let me spend $250 on consulting for an application packet. I was talking to a guy earlier but he ghosted on me. Does anyone mind letting me look at their resume and cover letter for an example? Help a brother out.

Click on the link for the upcoming 119th FS UPT board. This is a basic example of how things should be. Also, most boards give instruction on what they what in the packets. 

http://www.177fw.ang.af.mil/Portals/68/documents/UPT/UPT Package - 2018.pdf?ver=2018-05-29-111104-047

• Like 2

Is anyone else reading on the 119th FS application site that you can send an app in as an email only? Or does it have to be physical mail AND an email? Having trouble getting in contact with someone at the unit who can answer this Q. 

20 minutes ago, Engineer2Pilot said:

Is anyone else reading on the 119th FS application site that you can send an app in as an email only? Or does it have to be physical mail AND an email? Having trouble getting in contact with someone at the unit who can answer this Q. 

Do you really want to take that chance? Do both if you’re unsure.

9 minutes ago, cagg011 said:

Do you really want to take that chance? Do both if you’re unsure.

Lol of course not but since we still got time before the app is due I might as well ask around. 

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:20 AM, Tnkrdriver said:

The 133rd ARS is hiring SUPT Pilots for to fly the KC-46A. Minimum requirements include a bachelors degree, AFOQT/TBAS, and start pilot training before reaching the age of 30. View more detailed info about the board and further requirements at http://www.157arw.ang.af.mil/Units/157th-Operations-Group/133rd-Air-Refueling-Squadron/ 

nhang-football.jpg.9c8676cd8640f927c2bd6cd235e44a77.jpg

On 6/12/2018 at 12:13 PM, Engineer2Pilot said:

Is the 187th FW 3.0 gpa requirement a throw your app in the trash if you apply with a 2.52? Even with 90 pilot and pcsm? 

A little late, but if your degree is in engineering as your username implies, you should be able to make the argument that your 2.5 is easily an underwater basketweaving 3. And I say that as an underwater basketweaving major. 

On 7/17/2018 at 9:16 AM, Stoker said:

A little late, but if your degree is in engineering as your username implies, you should be able to make the argument that your 2.5 is easily an underwater basketweaving 3. And I say that as an underwater basketweaving major. 

Can't say I disagree. I did notice on this years board the 187th FW took off the 85+ PCSM requirement to apply. I wonder if there is a "waiver" so I can apply anyway. Any Alabama ANG guys on here to comment?

Edited by Engineer2Pilot

38 minutes ago, Engineer2Pilot said:

Can't say I disagree. I did notice on this years board the 187th FW took off the 85+ PCSM requirement to apply. I wonder if there is a "waiver" so I can apply anyway. Any Alabama ANG guys on here to comment?

I’m not but you might as well just apply. What’s the worse they could say?