Stuff

FlyingGuy

UPT slot? no idea.

Clearance? They're looking for exploitation vulnerabilities and indications that you aren't a responsible person and shouldn't be trusted with classified information. Generally things that are for the most part out of your control are investigated but shouldn't hurt you. IE - lost a job...credit went to shit. That's understandable and generally will not be held against you given that you take the appropriate steps to recover once the situation allows. Another good recent example is shutdown/furlough. This undoubtedly has negative impacts on the credit/finances of individuals in sensitive positions. Will they be punished for it? Not if they're responsible and document any issues they're having and put in place a plan to recover.

Bottom line...would a repossession and loads of credit debt stop you from getting a clearance? Unlikely, especially if you are documenting the steps you're taking to mitigate it and the reasons for the issues are easily explained.

I'm not very familiar with auto leases, but can't you just terminate the lease and hand the car back? Maybe there's a penalty for early lease termination, but that would look better than just defaulting on the lease and getting the car repo'd. I don't know if a default/repo would be a no-go for a clearance, but it certainly will be a negative factor.

Can you afford to at least make the min payment on the credit card(s) each month? If one card is close to being paid off over another, than focus your weight of effort on that one and close the account ASAP. Give some serious thought to things you really don't need. DirecTV, that new unlimited data plan that costs an extra $30/month, a $25K car that you could sell and replace with a $5K car, etc? There may truly be less things "out of your hands" than it might seem on the surface.

Bottom line, defaulting on leases/loans, being consistently late on payments, etc. are red flags for a clearance. Avoid those things and you'll probably be fine.

Edited by brabus

It could easily be 6 months before your refs hear anything. You don't need a clearance during UPT, just after. I think most people do have one by then (at least a Secret), but it's not a game ender if you don't. I wouldn't sweat it, a couple months in the security investigation world is chump change. Sounds like you're doing everything you smartly can regarding the budget management. Just be 100% honest on paperwork and in interviews; I think you'll be fine.

I'm not exactly sure but if they people I know that had literally over a hundred thousand dollars in loans and debt that they racked up in college (student/car loans, credit card debt ect) and still managed to get a security clearance, I can't imagine you having a hard time telling the investigator "my wife lost her job and there were a rough couple months" and him holding it against you.

Knew someone in this exact situation. He let them repo it, still got a clearance. Handed them the keys when they showed up for the vehicle.

You just don't want a bankruptcy and I have heard of that causing issues.

Sounds like you've made a few financial mistakes to be in this situation.

You need hope and you need a plan. I strongly recommend Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover" book. Follow the 7 Baby Steps.

Watch this vid, it's only 5 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b--HwXE3064

*facepalm* .....let me guess...his technique for getting out of debt is for poor people to somehow save up a thousand bucks on their 1200 a month income? Then pay everything off....awesome innovative thinking. This guy is a genius. Now where can I sign up for his workshop, buy his books, pay for his mentoring coach dvd, or similar activities....I also need to go visit a mega church soon and donate my money to their preachers driver...

Let me give you real advice. Life in your means, get that figured out asap. Don't go out to eat...anymore....at all....stop spending money. No more target, walmart, mcdonalds, chills, starbucks, guns, bullets, steaks, shrimp, oil changes, six flags..nothing. Get your house in order, and then do what you want.

Edited by theat6bisasham

*facepalm* .....let me guess...his technique for getting out of debt is for poor people to somehow save up a thousand bucks on their 1200 a month income? Then pay everything off....awesome innovative thinking. This guy is a genius. Now where can I sign up for his workshop, buy his books, pay for his mentoring coach dvd, or similar activities....I also need to go visit a mega church soon and donate my money to their preachers driver...

Let me give you real advice. Life in your means, get that figured out asap. Don't go out to eat...anymore....at all....stop spending money. No more target, walmart, mcdonalds, chills, starbucks, guns, bullets, steaks, shrimp, oil changes, six flags..nothing. Get your house in order, and then do what you want.

Actually, I bought a $10 book, "The Total Money Makeover" and listen to FREE radio and podcast.

Normal in America is perpetual car loans, mortgages, student loans, financing vacations, and credit card debt. I'm sick of normal.

Here's his plan http://www.daveramsey.com/new/baby-steps/. (also FREE) The tough part is actually doing it (believe me).

Actually, I bought a $10 book, "The Total Money Makeover" and listen to FREE radio and podcast.

Normal in America is perpetual car loans, mortgages, student loans, financing vacations, and credit card debt. I'm sick of normal.

Here's his plan http://www.daveramsey.com/new/baby-steps/. (also FREE) The tough part is actually doing it (believe me).

Huh. If only us dumbasses here on BODN had ever heard of or discussed this godsend...

Hint: yes, we all know about Dave.