Tax info

Toro

Unfortunately, it matters. If your W-2 has CO for your state, CO will think you owe them taxes. It would probably be less hassle to get the amended W-2 than to argue with the state of CO later about whether or not you owe them money.

Bigger picture: if CO was only on your PCS W-2 and you're a Texan for every thing else in your life, you likely didn't earn enough on that PCS to be required to file taxes with CO. Look up the filing requirements for CO to decide if you want to go through the asspain of getting an ammended W-2.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I PCS twice in 2010 but only received one travel W2. I talked to finance and they had no clue what the issue might be or who to contact to get the issue addressed. Their exact words, "well if you only got one W2, just go with that for your taxes." No thanks, I'll wait until you ass hats get it right.

Anyone ever experience this or have insight as to what finance should be doing to fix it? I'm looking at you finance guy.

Thanks!

only received one travel W2

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but have you verified the amount on the W2 as only applying to a single DITY move? Since it'd be the same payer, I'd only expect a single W-2--for the total amount of both moves.

If it's only for one move, I agree, you've got a problem. I would start w/ TMO, not Finance--they're the ones who control DITY money, Finance just pays out whatever TMO tells them....

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but have you verified the amount on the W2 as only applying to a single DITY move? Since it'd be the same payer, I'd only expect a single W-2--for the total amount of both moves.

If it's only for one move, I agree, you've got a problem. I would start w/ TMO, not Finance--they're the ones who control DITY money, Finance just pays out whatever TMO tells them....

Yeah it is for only one of the DITY's... I had to go back after I posted the question to make sure I wasn't a dumb ass. Turns out I'm not, at least not in this case. :beer:

Good call about TMO, I'll call them next.

Edited because TMO was even less help (go figure).

Edited by osulax05

Edited because TMO was even less help (go figure).

W2s depend on the actual payment date and not when your actual PCS occurred. Is it possible the payment for one of the PCS's was made after 31 Dec 2010? If not, then have finance pull both your PCS payment voucher from RTS and then have them send that info to DFAS Limestone to find out why there is only one when there should be two based on what you say. TMO has nothing to do with W2s.

• 2 weeks later...

I need some serious help from someone in the know. I have sent a PM to Finance Guy with a few more specifics, but also want to get input from you all in case someone else has had experience with it.

First, how do I know if I will be receiving a W-2C? Second, if I am getting one, when will it be sent out?

Background: I got the regular W-2 on Jan 24 and I'm 99% sure it's wrong. I got tax free 6 months last year (Jan, May, Sep, Oct, Nov, and Dec). So let's say my August LES showed my taxable income as X. Since I got the rest of the year tax free, it would stand to reason that my W-2 should match what my August LES said. It doesn't. What's worse is I can't even figure out how they came up with the figure they did. I thought maybe they just forgot to process one of the months as tax free, but the W-2 amount doesn't equal my August YTD taxable income added to any of the other months.

So far, I have been to finance at least 5 times (including this morning) to try and figure this out. The first time was back in November and they opened a CMS case to fix it. That case was closed the first week of January (and marked that it was fixed). Finance keeps telling me to call DFAS, which I have done 3 times, but they keep telling me to go back to finance and open another CMS case. When I tell finance to do that, they tell me it was already fixed. They also tell me that a W-2C may be sent to me--but they cannot tell me for sure if I'll be getting one or when to expect it. Has anyone else received a W-2C this year? Any advice on where to go from here? I'm ready to punch someone in the throat!

First, relax.

Second, keep a record of everything including who you talk to and when.

Third, stop calling DFAS. MAke finance do their J-O-B. Go ask to speak to a supervisor and sit and talk with them about this until a CMS case is opened.

Fourth, if you can't get finance to do their job then speak with your supervisor, first shirt and/or commander. They will get some action.

Keep records and emails so that when you ultimately file and if you owe you can write a letter an ask the IRS to forego any penalties and/or interest since this really wasn't your fault. Go ahead and file on time if you don't get a corrected W-2. If you get a W-2C afterwards, then file an amended return and write the letter. It is amazing what that will do.

I need some serious help from someone in the know. I have sent a PM to Finance Guy with a few more specifics, but also want to get input from you all in case someone else has had experience with it.

I think you PM'd me. I sent you a reply.

First, relax.

Second, keep a record of everything including who you talk to and when.

Third, stop calling DFAS. MAke finance do their J-O-B. Go ask to speak to a supervisor and sit and talk with them about this until a CMS case is opened.

Fourth, if you can't get finance to do their job then speak with your supervisor, first shirt and/or commander. They will get some action.

Keep records and emails so that when you ultimately file and if you owe you can write a letter an ask the IRS to forego any penalties and/or interest since this really wasn't your fault. Go ahead and file on time if you don't get a corrected W-2. If you get a W-2C afterwards, then file an amended return and write the letter. It is amazing what that will do.

OK, I got to chime in here. IF you have verified that all your CZTE/IDP has posted for the months you were there, then your local finance has done their JOB. Now it appears to either be one of two possibilities. #1. The DFAS pay system named DJMS is having some sort of problem and will require manual intervention to fix it...CMS case. Or, #2. Your W2 is correct but you just don't agree with it. I have literally worked 100s of case involving problems with W2s and W2Cs, and more often than not they are not wrong, it is just something the member don't understand. Before you go in to the finance office and claim your W2 is wrong, bring some good evidence. Most just come in and say my W2 is wrong with no sort of calculation to back it up. I can try to get ahold of a spreadsheet DFAS uses for tax calculations if anyone would be interested.

But again, DFAS does have system problems. If that is the case, don't take it out on the local Finance. They have no control over that piece of COBOL crap.

Finance keeps telling me to call DFAS,

They should NEVER tell a customer to do that...unless it is a retiree.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you guys hearing that spouses can now claim state of residence the same way AD members can? IE I moved from FL to NC this year, FL is an income-tax free state, so she can continue claiming FL as her state of residence. Think this was part of the Defense Authorization Bill last year.

This sound familiar?

Correct, spouses can now claim the same state of residency as the military member. My wife had to fill out a form from Oklahoma to give to her employer in AZ. They basically changed her withholding status to exempt. They were not familiar with the new law so it took some explaining before they got on board. In a military town they should be familiar with it by now though.

Spouses may still owe taxes on their income though (state dependent obviously). In this case you will either have to set aside what the taxes would have been and pay that amount at the end of the year, or make periodic tax payments to the state so you are not surprised come tax time.

Guest goducks

Correct, spouses can now claim the same state of residency as the military member. My wife had to fill out a form from Oklahoma to give to her employer in AZ. They basically changed her withholding status to exempt. They were not familiar with the new law so it took some explaining before they got on board. In a military town they should be familiar with it by now though.

Spouses may still owe taxes on their income though (state dependent obviously). In this case you will either have to set aside what the taxes would have been and pay that amount at the end of the year, or make periodic tax payments to the state so you are not surprised come tax time.

So, as a military spouse, if I'm working at a USAF facility and choose to claim Texas residence (which is what my wife is), can I avoid the state income tax in Ohio?

So, as a military spouse, if I'm working at a USAF facility and choose to claim Texas residence (which is what my wife is), can I avoid the state income tax in Ohio?

You can claim Texas as your state of residence and then owe whatever taxes Texas would have you pay. I'm not familiar with the tax laws of Texas so I can't say what you would owe (if anything) but yes, you would avoid Ohio's taxes.

The idea behind the law wasn't for military spouses to avoid state taxes but to simplify things for military families who up until now had to maintain two state residencies and deal with all the ass pain that involves (sts).

Edited by osulax05

I understood this change to mean that its really only a benefit if your spouse doesn't work. I thought if your spouse had a job in your current state that is not your state of residence, they would still have to pay taxes to that state. Is this not correct?

• 10 months later...
In January 2012, Military OneSource Tax Program will launch the H&R Block at Home® free electronic filling tax service. File your Federal and State taxes online for free! This is the same program you may have used before. If you have already created an H&R Block account, your login credentials for that account will still work and you will be able to access your personal tax information.

Please wait for the service to launch here at Military OneSource before trying to access your H&R Block account. This will prevent any applicable charges being applied to your account when preparing to file your return. The free offer is only valid through the Military OneSource site.

http://www.militaryonesource.com/

Or, if you are not eligible/need a different product, Amazon has all H&R Block at Home software on sale for 50%+ off today (7 Jan 12).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_software?_encoding=UTF8&node=229534&field-brandtextbin=H%26R%20Block

Edit: Tried to fix link. Forum software may have mangled it.

Edited by ThreeHoler

Or, if you are not eligible/need a different product, Amazon has all H&R Block at Home software on sale for 50%+ off today (7 Jan 12). http://www.amazon.co...n=H%26R%20Block

Nice! That Amazon link didn't work for me; try this one:

http://www.amazon.co...25963477&sr=1-1

This is a pretty good deal, usually I end up spending more that that just using online Turbotax or whatever. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Maybe your link did work after all... well whatever

Edited by spaceman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any good gouge as to when to hand the taxes over to an accountant?

I've been using TurboTax for years now and it seems to be working fine, however this is the first year with the wife having full time employment so the return may be a bit more complicated. Curious if anyone has any better luck with an accountant vs turbotax (or similar)

Edit: grammar.

Edited by Catbox

I turned mine over when I was a Capt.

Each situation is different but at that point I had two rental properties plus a primary residence...back then turbo tax did not like doing depreciation on multiple properties. I also had traditional and Roth IRAs for both my wife and I, as well as other investment accounts. The accountant found more than enough other savings to pay for the service...(my wife worked from home and we were able to deduct internet costs as well as a designated portion of the house she used as an office). Now that we have a child with a 529 and his own IRA, the accountant is a must.

I used an accountant when I ran my home building business. It was easier to let him complete the 1040s etc. I just handed him my checkbook, materials costs, and copies of the closings I had for that year. He pretty much did the rest.

Turbotax is pretty simple and good. If the only thing that has really changed is your wife getting a job then I'd say stick with it. Inputting one more W2 isn't tricky.

• Upvote 1

Turbotax is pretty simple and good. If the only thing that has really changed is your wife getting a job then I'd say stick with it. Inputting one more W2 isn't tricky.

True...but my percieved issue is whether to file joint or seperate because we are residents of different states.

Edited by Catbox

True...but my percieved issue is whether to file joint or seperate because we are residents of different states.

Well, that's where TurboTax really shines.... Input your info, run it both ways, file whichever way is cheapest....