Life at Al Dhafra

Guest Beatle405

Guest Beatle405

I was wondering if Al Dhafra had internet available, either wireless or land line. I heard rumor that they were installing wireless but have nevere gotten this rumor confirmed or denied. Someone who has been recently please let me know. Just wondering if I'll be able to talk to my wife using Skype or if will be emails only. Thanks.

I've heard rumors of wireless in the CAC (Chapman Activity Center). Haven't confirmed it either though, so I guess I'm no help.

I diverted there last month. They did have WiFi there. The Deid is also getting WiFi later this month at CC.

If you're stationed at the Deid, I highly recommend a divert into Dafra. Nice place (not to mention the COMMERCIAL WiFi they have on the base), shows you how a base can be without out all the retardedness. There may be some but it sure seemed like it wasn't hung out there like it is at the Deid.

Cooter

If you're stationed at the Deid, I highly recommend a divert into Dafra. Nice place (not to mention the COMMERCIAL WiFi they have on the base), shows you how a base can be without out all the retardedness. There may be some but it sure seemed like it wasn't hung out there like it is at the Deid.

Cooter

A lot of that is because of the WG/CC there at Dhafra. I flew a few missions with BG Wells, and can honestly say he is a good guy. He had some crazy stories to tell about different shennanigens on base.

I'm pretty pumped about having some Wifi out there...now I can use my own computer and actually keep up with my fantasy football teams, since the network denied access to everything but ESPN fantasy.

I'm hoping the 'good deal police' won't find out about the Wifi and shut it down. It'll probably only be a matter of time though.

Boom,

Will that be unrestricted commercial WiFi or Comm Nazi'ed WiFi ? ~Thanks

Leadership didn't clarify when I was there.

Will that be unrestricted commercial WiFi or Comm Nazi'ed WiFi ?

My guess is if it starts commercial, it'll end up Comm Nazi'd, and quicker than you'd think.

All it's gonna take is one female who is padlocked to the I'm Offended! position, to see something Airman Doumass shoulda been smart enough to conceal, and it'll be all over but the cryin'...

My guess is if it starts commercial, it'll end up Comm Nazi'd, and quicker than you'd think.

All it's gonna take is one female who is padlocked to the I'm Offended! position, to see something Airman Doumass shoulda been smart enough to conceal, and it'll be all over but the cryin'...

Tor is a wonderful thing (as is truecrypt)...

I'm talking about images on screens that should be viewed in private, not the electronic evidence of who-went-where.

You know damn well some new Airman (or Lt, to be fair) is gonna be checking out some online skin, in a location where someone can walk by and easily see what he's looking at, and the "I'm Offended!" alarm will get sounded at the MEO's office. The "offended party" will likely be of higher rank than the "offending party", but will lack the basic leadership skills to correct the situation on-the-spot, and will therefore get the entire f*cking chain of command involved since they don't know how to do anything else. Say buh-bye, wireless interwebs...

Mark my words, folks.

• 8 months later...
Guest ANGGuyBri

Getting ready for a deployment to Al Dhafra and was wondering what i can expect as far as facilities (AAFES & food), wifi access, Morale stuff, living quarters (enlisted) etc...

Thanks!

B

Getting ready for a deployment to Al Dhafra and was wondering what i can expect as far as facilities (AAFES & food), wifi access, Morale stuff, living quarters (enlisted) etc...

Thanks!

B

It's been a few years since I was deployed to OMAM. It was cake then I can imagine it only got better. Enjoy the vacation!

life is great there...flightline kitchen (roy's) is a hell of a lot better than the dfac. make sure you make the trip to get the steaks on sundays rather than eating at the dfac. everybody lives in the same type rooms unless you are permanent party. you'll have 1-2 roommates...decent rooms but small. all have tv and wifi was just being set up when i left last winter but only in the area around the pool. the bx is small and things go fast but they usually have a good selection of stuff there. downtown is a good time and fairly cheap....make sure you visit la casa de habana for good cuban cigars. the base itself is small but life overall there is good. you can't ask for a better place to spend a couple months. there is a lot of gayness there though but i've heard that's changed somewhat with the new leadership. you'll enjoy your time there...it's much better than the died.

I was just there in the past few weeks and Roy's was still open. The new place won't open up for another couple months.

As far as Dhafra goes...you won't be too disappointed. If you are aircrew, you'll have 2 to a room. I heard the maint. folks were doing 3 to a room (sucks for the guy on the top bunk). The wifi is up and running and you can receive it just about anywhere but in your room. It is ridiculously slow, but I think they were trying to add some bandwidth so that it didn't take 3 mintues to load a page.

Probably the best place to hang out is the pool, that is if you're not flying/working nights.

Services can set you up with some nice trips. I think the way it works is that if you have a group that wants to go somewhere in particular, they'll have a driver and a van/bus for a small fee. I don't think there is a limit on how many trips you can go on, but I know that you have to be there 15 days before you can venture off base. The water park trip is a good time...so I've heard.

The Thirsty Camel & Chapman Activity Center (CAC) can hook you up with your 2 beers/day. Occasionally they'll up the limit to 3 on the weekends...they did a few weeks ago when they brought in some Reggae band to play.

Edited by Techsan

Things just got a lot more exciting there with the new fat body program. Bottom line, don't show up looking like a bag of chewed bubble gum. Probably a good initiative given the throngs of chall hall lizards. Downside is the gym is about to get a whole lot more crowded.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from a brief (and painless!) stay at Dhafra. WiFi is alive and well in the CAC, although there are occasional outages to deal with. Signal can also be picked up occasionally in other areas close to the CAC, depending on how good your wireless antenna is. I saw several people over the course of two days sitting at the picnic tables, Skype-ing and surfing...

Edited by JarheadBoom

Rumor has it that royberto's is closed.......

....again

Roy's was open earlier this week - Steak Sunday.

Not the best steak I've had... but certainly not the worst.

"Combat Service Squadron" changed the name from "Muff's Place". They can't leave anything alone.

The Thirsty Camel = :rainbow:

GRRRRR...bet those F-ers didn't even know why it was named "Muff's".

Edited by Spoo

The Thirsty Camel = :rainbow:

GRRRRR...bet those F-ers didn't even know why it was named "Muff's".

I'd like to think you're right, but I'll bet they knew the reason, and changed it anyways.

Similar mentality to removing the big Pilot Wings at the front gate at Laughlin. It offended too many in other career fields that AF Wings were displayed so prominently, and that "it took away" from what they did in protocol/med group/PERSCO/base gym/library/chow hall (dining facility)/cop shop/contracting/services.

How the Muff got it's name:

Muffin the Mule is a puppet character in British television programmes for children. The character proved popular, and ran on BBC television until 1955. Annette Mills named the puppet mule "Muffin", and it first appeared on television in an edition of For The Children broadcast on 20 October 1946. A separate series of 15 minute episodes, "Muffin the Mule", was broadcast from 1952, with his signature tune "We want Muffin". Muffin became a television star, and a wide range of spin-off merchandise was made using the Muffin character, including books, records, games and toys. The BBC decided to discontinue the show in 1955.

Proceeds all go to charity, typically orphanages........"For the Children"

Uhhhhh...What?

How the Muff got it's name:...

... Proceeds all go to charity, typically orphanages........"For the Children"

YGBSM! I'm guessing you're kidding, based on this bizarre answer. But with only 6 posts to your credit, I just can't tell.

Edited by Huggyu2