Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

First off, let me say that this response comes from an ex-Sgt, Crew Chief, who has been out of the AF for over fifteen years - so I haven't been to the 'Died, but I was deployed to the airbase at the Intl airport in Doha during 90-91. We were the first US military in the country.

Sounds like someone who has realized that they don't have much to do with the real mission has let their authority go to their heads. While safety is, of course, important a lot of the things that are listed here just don't make sense, it's the mission that matters.

"Daddy, what did you do in the war?"

"Son, I was one of the most important people on base. I kept the dirty, sweaty people from eating at the 'dining facility'. We can't allow 'that type' in here, they might offend the clean personnel and finance people... Sure, I was misunderstood, but my SVS commander saw my true value, and put me in for this shiny Bronze Star."

I spent seven months in Doha, wearing Hawaiian shirts, shorts and flip-flops off duty, eating pistachios and drinking smuggled rum - maybe not the 'Yankee Air Pirate' of SEA (of course, as a maintainer, my feet stayed on the ground) but I gave it my best shot. On duty, I worked phase and the flightline wearing a set of non-steeltoed jungle boots, wearing mail-order desert BDU's with no patches, rank, name or US Air Force tapes and my boonie hat rolled up like a cowboy, and you know what? Our commander said "Mike, I don't care what rank you are, or what your uniform looks like, what I care about is having our jets ready to fly each morning."

Our mission as maintainers was to support the pilots that we sent north each day of the war, to give them the best aircraft that we could to give them the best chance of coming back to us each night, and every minute we were there to support the two that we had to leave in Iraq as POW's until the war ended. That was the only mission that was important, not supporting some pencil-pushing want-to-be authority figure on an ego trip. While we had our share of those as well, we had Wing and flying Squadron Commanders who quickly put them in their places.

Sorry if this post isn't politically correct, but it's the MISSION that matters. Those of you who are over there fighting for all of us who are safe at home might not be able to directly go out and win this war for us, but all of us losing sight of the real mission could certainly lose it. I know that most here on the board are from the 'O' side of the house, and I hope you don't mind an opinion from an old 'E'.

Mike

3.7 million pounds of ordinance, 1303 sorties, 42 days, 1 squadron. The 'Forgotten 1000'.

Visit the Lucky Devils in the Gulf War at: http://www.lucky-devils.net

[ 30. January 2007, 08:00: Message edited by: MKopack ]

Guest lovelacm

If only folks understood that getting Iron on Target and Boots on the Ground are THE MISSION... and that housing, feeding, clothing, and guarding those that accomplish THE MISSION are support functions... not THE MISSION.

- Reflective Belt wear is not THE MISSION.

- Tucking your PT uniform shirt into your shorts while on the treadmill or while playing racquetball is not THE MISSION.

Ah.. if only people could understand these simple facts...

Cheers!

Linda

Originally posted by Linda:

- Reflective Belt wear is not THE MISSION.

- Tucking your PT uniform shirt into your shorts while on the treadmill or while playing racquetball is not THE MISSION.

Soon everyone will be wearing the reflective belt with shirt tucked in while running on the treadmill!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ritalin IV

Like I told my fiancé-- it’s a little long, but worth it…

My own personal story (and I f-ing love this story) occurred about 2 years ago out there. I was out at the Bra with 2 friends one night enjoying beer # 2 of 3 when these grizzled out, totally shaggy dudes roll up and sit at the table next to ours. They were too hardcore to be contractors so I guessed them as some of our clandestine friends. They all have Coronas and my interest is peaked when one of them pulls a whole, ripe lime out of his pocket. I watch discreetly as he then busts out (no $hit) a switchblade and cuts the lime up for his bros. Smirking, and shaking my head I say, “Figures, you can pull out a 6-inch switchblade in the middle of the Bra with out any one saying a thing to you but try to walk 20 feet to the Cadillac with out a disco belt and you have two article 15s and a LOC before you even make it half way!”

The dude with the knife replies, “I got one even better than that. Last year I was out here and met this A-10 pilot who, while flying an OIF sortie, had some sort of emergency that required him to eject. When he punched out or landed, he screwed up his leg and needed crutches and minor medical attention. They sent him here to the ‘Died and his SQ/CC made him the deployed DO. When their squadron was set to rotate back, his job was to account for all of the aircraft returning home, get MX status, etc. The day they leave station to redeploy, a massive front rolls across Eastern Europe. This guy now has planes scattered all over Europe from places like Kef all the way south to Aviano. As fragged A/Rs fall apart and they start having to land, he is on a cell phone getting all of their info, status, fuel requirements, name it. So here’s our hero- feverishly writing down tons of info with one hand, holding the cell phone in the other, attempting to help out all of his buds, and all doing this with a bum leg and crutches on gravel trying to limp back to his room or at least a hard writing surface. With no more than 5 or 6 steps from the Bra a chief engages him at a random checkpoint (20 chiefs in a line around the Bra all with writing utensils and notebooks) about his lack of disco belt. Our hero gives him a polite ‘hold on a sec’ and continues writing and trying to get info from his pal on the other end of the line in a whole other continent. The chief re-attacks and our hero repeats his motion but is now struggling a little more to hear the guy on the other line. The chief then states something like ‘you have to put you disco belt on now or I’m going to have to write you up.’

Our over encumbered hero politely states, ‘Hey man, I’m trying to fight the war here. Can you just give me a sec and I’ll but the darn thing on?’

The chief replies, ‘We are all fighting the war, sir.’”

Can't wait to head back for trip #7. Yippee! -Ritalin

With no more than 5 or 6 steps from the Bra a chief engages him at a random checkpoint (20 chiefs in a line around the Bra all with writing utensils and notebooks) about his lack of disco belt. Our hero gives him a polite ‘hold on a sec’ and continues writing and trying to get info from his pal on the other end of the line in a whole other continent. The chief re-attacks and our hero repeats his motion but is now struggling a little more to hear the guy on the other line. The chief then states something like ‘you have to put you disco belt on now or I’m going to have to write you up.’

Our over encumbered hero politely states, ‘Hey man, I’m trying to fight the war here. Can you just give me a sec and I’ll but the darn thing on?’

The chief replies, ‘We are all fighting the war, sir.’”

Can't wait to head back for trip #7. Yippee! -Ritalin

A fine example of everything wrong with the Air Force and everything right with it all rolled up into one nice little story, thanks for sharing.

Al Dhafra's pretty fruity, but it's not just the chiefs. There's more senior NCOs than junior here, but that's not where the lack of common sense is really apparent. Everyone here who's not aircrew seems to think we revolve around their AF, and somehow the crap they need to get done outways us flying the mission.

For example, an hour ago a bunch of firefighters stormed thu the aircrew dorms checking smoke detectors, waking up the dozens of aircrew on the hall, many of whom were in the middle of crew rest. The huge red signs on people's doors with "Do Not Disturb Unless an Actual Emergency..." were completely ignored. We were shocked. One of the booms realized there wasn't an actual f***ing fire and asked them to get the hell out, which they refused. I think there's some O-5s involved now.

Last night, SF didn't want to let my Nav back on the flightline. He had all his badges and whatnot in order; they just wanted to disrupt our flow so we would remember it's THEIR flightline. Actually, SF is just as bad in the states, so I don't think that really can affect my opinion of Dhafra.

Oh yeah, and we only get 2 beers a night.

I think there's some O-5s involved now.

Hopefully, the O-5's are involved on the aircrews' side. If so...that could be a good development.

I think all non-aircrew needs to get a mandatory briefing (for once, a briefing that benefits US) on crew rest, and how important it is. It will also take aircrews refusing to fly because their crew rest was interrupted...which takes balls, but thats what its gonna take.

Thanks for the story

A wise crew dawg once told me - "War is only fun the first year, after that they deploy all the REMFs who ruin it for the rest of us."

Each year it seems to degenerate more and more - and the balance of power seems to shift into the hands of the Shoe Clerks and Hand-Washing Patrol. Does it really take an E-8 to ensure that I wash my hands before I eat in the Mess Hall?

Son: "Hey Daddy what did you do during the war?"

E-8: "Son, I made sure everyone washed their hands before they ate!"

>>>Embarassing... :bash:

A wise crew dawg once told me - "War is only fun the first year, after that they deploy all the REMFs who ruin it for the rest of us."

Each year it seems to degenerate more and more - and the balance of power seems to shift into the hands of the Shoe Clerks and Hand-Washing Patrol. Does it really take an E-8 to ensure that I wash my hands before I eat in the Mess Hall?

Son: "Hey Daddy what did you do during the war?"

E-8: "Son, I made sure everyone washed their hands before they ate!"

>>>Embarassing... :bash:

Baseops, were you being sarcastic with the Hand washing thing? I dont know whether you are serious, or joking. It seems so outrageous that its either just that...outrageous sarcasm...or it just may be true.

If its true, God help us all. If its sarcasm, Im a dumb ass for wondering if its true, but it shows just how believable that insanery may be

Baseops, were you being sarcastic with the Hand washing thing? I dont know whether you are serious, or joking. It seems so outrageous that its either just that...outrageous sarcasm...or it just may be true.

If its true, God help us all. If its sarcasm, Im a dumb ass for wondering if its true, but it shows just how believable that insanery may be

Stiffler, yes sad, but true.

Baseops, yes it does take an E-8 to watch the hand washing and clean PT gear coming into the chow hall. The ironic part is that it only takes one E-2 or E-3 to watch 8 TCN's doing everything from cleaning to building stuff. Guess we are more worried about ourselves and our own rules than what someone could do to our stuff and potentially cause harm to us.

Stiffler, yes sad, but true.

Baseops, yes it does take an E-8 to watch the hand washing and clean PT gear coming into the chow hall. The ironic part is that it only takes one E-2 or E-3 to watch 8 TCN's doing everything from cleaning to building stuff. Guess we are more worried about ourselves and our own rules than what someone could do to our stuff and potentially cause harm to us.

OH-----MY------GOD. Does it ever end

Guest Hydro130

It's R-diculous with the hoops you have to jump through to get into a chow hall, errr, DFAC. Somebody's watching to make sure you wash your hands, have your disco belt on, aren't visibly sweaty, have appropriate socks & footwear on, and God help you if you try to enter with your backpack or even a Camelbak - perhaps you have an IED in there somewhere! Or you will use it to acquire more than your alloted share of fruit, Gatorade, or Raisin Bran boxes! Eeek!

Pretty soon, there will be documented, by-unit open-ranks inspections just for some lousy mystery meat smothered in white sauce. Ugh.

Cheers, Hydro

• 1 month later...

Found this little gem in the Sheppard base paper. Like Palestinians training kids to be suicide bombers, uniform Nazi training is occurring in our own tech schools. Does anyone really believe that an AIT would try to call out the wing king on a uniform infraction?

Imagine the response:

Amn: "Excuse me Gen Olds, but the sleeves on your flyer's coveralls must be rolled down in accordance with AFI....." :nob:

Action Lines

Q: I'd like to relay a success story to you about our Airmen-in-Training here at Sheppard. I had an Airman approach me in the BX about a 36-2903 violation he thought I was committing, and although I was in full compliance I was impressed that one of our AIT's had the courage to correct a Senior NCO. We need more Airmen who take that kind of pride in OUR Air Force. We need more Airmen like that who stand for what's correct and right.

A: Thanks for this feedback! I too had a similar experience a few weeks ago when a young Airman-in-Training approached me about a possible uniform violation. It took a lot of courage (and hopefully tact and diplomacy) to approach a senior officer with that kind of feedback. These young men and women will be the ones enforcing our standards and protecting our institution in the future. It's great to see that many of them are already off to a good start. Thanks again for the feedback. Your comment speaks volumes about your commitment to our Air Force and its values. Thanks for helping shape tomorrow's Airmen today!

Sheppard Commander's Action Line

What happened to the days when Airmen were just trying to make it thru the day without getting yelled at? This must be some new training the shoe clerks have implemented to supress morale further. Eventually all of the "airmen" will make it to a base near you and ruin your Air Force. The future is looking so promising- promising suck.

Edited by slacker130

Guest CrewDawg1
What happened to the days when Airmen were just trying to make it thru the day without getting yelled at? This must be some new training the shoe clerks have implemented to supress morale further. Eventually all of the "airmen" will make it to a base near you and ruin your Air Force. The future is looking so promising- promising suck.

YGTBSM!!! When I was here for my enlisted tech. school my rule was to not make eye contact, and spend all my days sleeping. This usually kept me from getting yelled at for some BS reason.

This reminds me of the other day (at sheppard) when some d-bad was yelling at this airman because he was trying to buy something at the BX and forgot his military ID. OMG.....someone make a mistake!!!!! As I am sure that guy has never made a mistake in his life. Reaffirms my hatred of those d-bag blue ropes! :M16::flipoff:

Edited by CrewDawg1

Is there an AFSC now for Uniform Monitor, or is it just an additional duty?

the sad part is, it's lumped into "leadership" and "what it means to be an NCO". You will find no bigger uniform a$$holes in the chow-hall than when the ALS students all come in for lunch.n The no-sunglasses on top of your head is my favorite.

Guest awfltdoc

I got a friend at Baghram now (flight doc), who is deployed from an AETC base. When he got deployed the UDM guessed the size of the uniform gear he'd need (he didn't get enough time to reorder sh$t before leaving). Well the deputy Task Force Med bioenvironmental officer type busted his chops for having an 8-point hat that was too big, and a gore-tex jacket that was too small. Same dude busted my friend for missing a meeting, cause my friend was busy medivac'g causualties from Baghram to an allied hospital in country due to an overwhelming number of casualies in a recent bombing there.

Was at Ali Al Saleem winter 04-05, I remember, lots of Article 15s being given out. Funny thing was most of the Article 15s were being given to SF types. One SF got an article 15 for abandoning his post. (IIRC, his replacement was late and he had to dookie) so he moved away from the guard shack and did his buisiness in the sand.

I also remember once my medical technicians being told we couldn't drive our ambulance in Area 51 by some Army NCO (to take back an injured civilian passenger), cause it was too big (sts). I went back with the enlisted med techs with the ambulance and patient. We were denied access again. Then two Army buses drove by into the compound LOL. I had a talk with the Army Captain in charge and reminded him that we were the only ambulace/emergeny support he had and that it would be perferable as well as logical to be able to drive in their compound area when there was a patient in need. Fortunately, it ended there.

Sometimes, I just can't believe how insane it is in the AOR.

Edited by awfltdoc

Found this little gem in the Sheppard base paper. Like Palestinians training kids to be suicide bombers, uniform Nazi training is occurring in our own tech schools. Does anyone really believe that an AIT would try to call out the wing king on a uniform infraction?

Imagine the response:

Amn: "Excuse me Gen Olds, but the sleeves on your flyer's coveralls must be rolled down in accordance with AFI....." :nob:

Action Lines

Q: I'd like to relay a success story to you about our Airmen-in-Training here at Sheppard. I had an Airman approach me in the BX about a 36-2903 violation he thought I was committing, and although I was in full compliance I was impressed that one of our AIT's had the courage to correct a Senior NCO. We need more Airmen who take that kind of pride in OUR Air Force. We need more Airmen like that who stand for what's correct and right.

A: Thanks for this feedback! I too had a similar experience a few weeks ago when a young Airman-in-Training approached me about a possible uniform violation. It took a lot of courage (and hopefully tact and diplomacy) to approach a senior officer with that kind of feedback. These young men and women will be the ones enforcing our standards and protecting our institution in the future. It's great to see that many of them are already off to a good start. Thanks again for the feedback. Your comment speaks volumes about your commitment to our Air Force and its values. Thanks for helping shape tomorrow's Airmen today!

Sheppard Commander's Action Line

Glad to see Operation No-Joy is in full effect in the states as well as abroad. :bash:

I was talking with an ATOC guy the other day and he mentioned his chief issued a direct order that all ATOC troops will wear a reflective belt while in their PT gear. Despite the fact that the reg says reflective belts are not required in PTs.

These are situations are always the best. There is absolutely no precedence whatsoever, just mindless queep.

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

Guest sleepy
Is there an AFSC now for Uniform Monitor, or is it just an additional duty?

I had an AD E-8 Shirt tell me as an officer, it was my job to patrol female's ear lobes to ensure their earrings were in compliance with 36-290-somthing.

Me: "Sargnt, I'm more concerned with whether or not someone is doing their job than I am their earrings."

Him: something to the effect of "You'll learn in time if the Guard doesn't continue to corrupt you."

Copy that.