Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Slye

General info on UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training)

some attempts at plotting track/drop probability

winesa.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

What have been the general trends for class drops? For example, how many UPT students generally get fighter, mobility, etc.?

1. Timing is everything

2. There is no justice

1. Timing is everything

2. There is no justice

standard thought process, maintainer's perspective, now applied to drops:

1. they wouldn't set it up like that, that's insane

>

2. oh lord, they did

>

3. WHY

>

4. (picks up wrench)

What are the pros/cons for each UPT base? Will I get a dream sheet of places to train or do they pick a name from a hat?

What are the pros/cons for each UPT base? Will I get a dream sheet of places to train or do they pick a name from a hat?

Laughlin:
Pros: 1 on 1 personal relationships with instructors (too soon?)
Cons: can't go to Mexico and there is literally nothing there

Columbus:
Pros: SEC football everywhere you turn (Starkville, T-Town)
Cons: none

Vance:
Pros: OKC in driving distance
Cons: it's in Oklahoma

Sheppard:
Pros: all Studs fly 38s
Wichita Falls is probably the "best" town of the UPT bases (not saying much)
2 hours from Dallas, drivable to Austin
Cons: all Studs fly 38s
Assignments are feast/famine at times (shock absorber for AFPC)

In ROTC I remember getting a dream sheet and even a space for reasoning why I wanted to go where. Sheppard/ENJJPT is a separate selection board that you volunteer for. Bottom line it really doesn't matter where you go to UPT unless you FAIP. We also have guys who are moving bases halfway through as part of the influx plan to maximize the SPs through the pipeline. So there is always the slim chance you influx to Sheppard at some point, but unlikely with the T-6s being maxed out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 2

I would second what Duck said with a small addition...your class can make a horrible place awesome. You'll be spending a lot of time around these folks for 1-2 years, even more so if you all get along and hang out outside of training. Even the worst sh!tholes can produce a good time with a good group.

Obviously you can't chose your classmates, but just something to keep in mind if/when you get a less than desirable UPT base

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 2

Thank you both for the heads up. I went to college in the middle of nowhere so I imagine it'll be a similar experience. I guess the less around to do the less distractions I'll have, haha. I still have plenty of time before OTS so I'll have time to think. Thanks!

To piggy back on jspace17's question, from a civilian off the street do they just pick a upt base out of a hat? From the other guys at the unit that picked me up, they seem to think most of the guys from the unit get Vance. Does that make sense? Do some units favor certain bases for what ever reason? or does the unit even have a say in where we go for upt?

6 hours ago, Heavywanabe said:

To piggy back on jspace17's question, from a civilian off the street do they just pick a upt base out of a hat? From the other guys at the unit that picked me up, they seem to think most of the guys from the unit get Vance. Does that make sense? Do some units favor certain bases for what ever reason? or does the unit even have a say in where we go for upt?

I had the same experience. Lots of guys from my unit had Vance going back years. Sure enough I got Vance. Not really sure how it works although other guys who are in the pipeline for my squadron went other places.

I'm at Rucker so get to hear about all the different bases from guys in my class and other classes here. Consensus is that Del Rio sucks, Columbus is OK and Vance seems to have the more relaxed training culture (at least from the student perspective when we all get in a room and talk about why X base was better than Y base). Various pros and cons across the board but I have yet to meet someone who went to Del Rio who had good things to say.

On 4/4/2017 at 3:50 PM, Duck said:

Columbus
Cons: none

Dafuq you say?

• Like 1

Dafuq you say?

Bro. That was over a year ago... Dafuq u been?
  • Upvote 1

Sorry, thought you would correct your ways in the allotted time.  

Sorry, thought you would correct your ways in the allotted time.  

I am a C+ student at best.

I was fortunate enough to be selected by a Fighter Unit as an alternate a little over a week ago.

Just a few questions for some of the guys that may have been in this situation….

Did you eventually get the primary slot? Did you ever hear back? If so, how long until you heard back?

Did having the alternate selection give you an advantage (in your opinion) at the next board of interviews if you were selected to interview again?

How common is it in your opinion that an Alternate gets moved to Primary?

For some that are just curious, I do not have great scores, in fact I don’t even have a 90 on anything in regards to AFOQT/PCSM. Not to say that scores are not important, making it this far in the process I am a firm believer that it is who you are as a person that matters the most (at least for the squadron I interviewed with).

When I first received my AFOQT/PCSM scores back I immediately thought that I would have no chance at being a pilot with the ANG, let alone becoming a fighter pilot……

But I still rushed the unit, met everyone I could, put together my crispest package, and kept my head humble every step of the way.

If your scores are sub 90s don’t let it discourage you, you can still get that interview with your dream squadron like I did. Just keep working my friend.

In the meantime I’ll keep grinding and applying as nothing is guaranteed, Thank you for sharing.