Speeding Tickets

Guest lindywig

Guest lindywig

During the selection process, how much does the board weigh out speeding tickets (minor moving violations) on a candidate’s driving record? hmmm.... let's say two or three recent speeding tickets. Other than those tickets, there are no accidents or any other law violations.

I would guess it depends on how bad. If you have three tickets for 20-30 over each time, then that's pretty bad. If they're more minor, then it's probably not going to kill you. If only one is more than 12 over, then you're probably fine. This is just me guessing though.

Guest pilotwannab

I also would like an answer to this question. I have had several tickets, but have had all but two reduced to non-moving violations. How will this affect my chances?

Guest El Campion

I just got picked up on the last OTS board and I had 4 traffic violations...1)no seabelt, 2)no license, 3)speeding (17 over), 4)traffic light violation. The first 3 occurred in 1998, and the 4th occurred in 2002. The first 3 also occured before I joinned the military. All were fines and cost me some bling, bling. Who knows how much they weighed during the board, but I got selected with 4, so there is always hope.

[ 31. July 2005, 00:28: Message edited by: El Campion ]

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by lindywig:

hmmm.... let's say two or three recent speeding tickets.

Sweet! Driving over the speed limit and getting caught is actually a good thing, especially if you want to be a pilot.

The board loves it if you have a bunch of tickets, especially fresh ones. It shows them you can handle high speeds and you're not afraid, which is good in combat. I would try to get a couple more as quickly as you can just to prove your courage and good judgement.

Guest pilotwannab

Rainman, are you being sarcastic? Because I've talked to a couple recruiters and they are told me that speeding tickets are bad. I asked why and they gave me the answer "because it shows you can't follow simple rules and regulations. You don't have self-control" I don't know, but that seems more correct to me. I would love for what you said to be true, Lord knows I've had a lot of tickets. Is there anyone that is actually on a board that selects candidates that can straighten this out for us? Thanks.

• 2 years later...
Guest Birdie

I have a similar question...

My no no's:

1) Warning - curfew violation - 1997...apparently you can't roller blade at midnight when you're 11

2) Warning - speeding (it was either 30 or 25 over) - 2004

3) Citation - failure to yield/traffic school - 2005

4) Camera speeding ticket thing that I am not going to report/pay unless I am served a ticket by an officer per my legal rights (11 over) - 2007

5) Citation - speeding (16 over)/$250 fine - 2007

6) Misdemeanor - plead guilty to minor in possession of alcohol/$480 fine (no probation, etc)

I was in my fourth year of AF ROTC. I had one conditional for grades when I reported the misdemeanor (which put me at two = scholarship suspended for one semester). Depression set in, that and trying to hold down a job to help pay for school (I took out $13,000 in student loans just to pay for that semester for what financial aide didn't cover)...well anyways my grades were shit this last semester. Then I find out I would either be dis enrolled or lose my scholarship next semester too (zero tolerance alcohol policy). So I replied by trying to switch schools to my home state where I can get an education for literally one tenth of the cost of this stupid private school I was at. AF ROTC couldn't approve it until next semester. So I have to take out another $13,000 loan to stay in, or just be kicked out altogether. So I volunteered for dis enrollment.

Can I still fly? Current GPA is 2.8. I have 85 credits not including the F's that brought me down last semester. Only 60 credits will transfer so those bad grades won't and I will have at least a 3.3 since that was about my average other semesters. Major was Aero Engineering, but I won't be doing that anymore. PCSM = 90. 60 flying hours. PFT = 100. So if I finish school with a decent GPA and go to OCS is pilot slot still possible?

I don't know if this forum is strictly Air Force...but I also looked into the Army. I talked to a recruiter today (unfortunately I knew more about warrant officers from googling it than the recruiter), but he did say legal trouble could be a problem. They said i may want to enlist and then apply for warrant officer school after I have "proved myself". We were discussing the enlisted to warrant officer route however. I may want to look into Army ROTC if they will take me while I finish school.

I know I have done some stupid stuff, but I really just want to fly. I just wasn't being careful, and if I need to start driving 0 mph over the speed limit that's fine. I'm 21 now too, so I don't have to worry about anymore alcohol stuff. Is there any hope for me?

Who knows, someone just got picked up with a DWI so anything is possible! However, your track record isn't that great! For one, if the Army recruiter is hesitant about your legal history I don't think you are going to fare too well with an Air Force recruiter! That's a lot of shit there, and the disenrollment and an "average" GPA isn't going to help.

But if youi decide you are going to pursue an Air Force flying career, the first thing you'll have to learn is that we have Officer Training School (OTS), not OCS (which is the Army). Also remember that Army standards are lower than the USAF, and most Army fliers are Warrants. Not a bad gig if you like excitement, and maybe once you've been flying for a while you can try and do an inter-service transfer to the USAF. But be wary of recruiters--especially Army recruiters--that try to convince you that the best way to become a Warrant or even a commissioned officer is to enlist. Once you've signed on the dotted line, your ass is theirs and the next thing you know you are rolling through Iraq doing convoy duty!

Oh, and I would recommend blowing off that speed camera ticket unless you haven't received any notification whatsoever. You are not required to receive the ticket from an officer, so if you were mailed a notice stating you were busted, you had better pay it or you're going to be even deeper in shit!

Good luck!

Cheers! M2

Guest Birdie
Who knows, someone just got picked up with a DWI so anything is possible! However, your track record isn't that great! For one, if the Army recruiter is hesitant about your legal history I don't think you are going to fare too well with an Air Force recruiter! That's a lot of shit there, and the disenrollment and an "average" GPA isn't going to help.

But if youi decide you are going to pursue an Air Force flying career, the first thing you'll have to learn is that we have Officer Training School (OTS), not OCS (which is the Army). Also remember that Army standards are lower than the USAF, and most Army fliers are Warrants. Not a bad gig if you like excitement, and maybe once you've been flying for a while you can try and do an inter-service transfer to the USAF. But be wary of recruiters--especially Army recruiters--that try to convince you that the best way to become a Warrant or even a commissioned officer is to enlist. Once you've signed on the dotted line, your ass is theirs and the next thing you know you are rolling through Iraq doing convoy duty!

Oh, and I would recommend blowing off that speed camera ticket unless you haven't received any notification whatsoever. You are not required to receive the ticket from an officer, so if you were mailed a notice stating you were busted, you had better pay it or you're going to be even deeper in shit!

Good luck!

Cheers! M2

Thanks. I guess I'm going to get as far as I can with the Army. ASVAB was a joke, so that's knocked out of the way. Next thing is to turn in my security clearance package and see if I can get a waiver for my MIP. Another Sgt was in there the last time I went and he was a little more optimistic about my situation. The traffic tickets I don't have to worry about he said. They're going to send me to MEPS for a physical within a week too so I should knock that outta the way real soon too. I feel pretty good about the whole thing, and if it doesn't work out I'll just stay in school and try OTS in about 2 years. Thanks again for the second opinion.

Hell I had almost 8 tickets on my record and several were for speeding and the others were careless driving or something like that for smoking the tires. I enlisted and was even on PRP (not sure how much that matters) with no issues. I was even picked up for ROTC and got a pilot slot. I even had a few more tickets while enlisted. As you can see I don't think it matters much.

BTW, not one ticket since! I've been pulled over a few times and have been thanked for serving my country and was released with a warning. Once was on my motorcycle hauling ass around Charlotte and still can't believe he let me go.

How does traffic history enter into consideration? Is there a direct question somewhere in the OTS/ROTC process?

I know the answer to the ROTC side of that question...

All cadets have to report civil involvements within 72 hours (any run-ins with the police including traffic violations). If you don't report it supposedly they will find out later when you go for a security clearance and that would not be good. This goes into consideration when they determine your stratification against all other cadets in your Wing. One of the cadre told me that it can drastically effect your Commander's ranking. As in you can be a top cadet but enough civil involvements will put you into middle third and not top. However, I have a buddy with 6 or so (all speeding tickets I think) and he is top third.

So to answer your question, so they don't specifically ask for your traffic history, but it's on your honor to report any tickets etc.

No clue about the OTS process, anyone??...

No clue about the OTS process, anyone??...

Just went through OTS with 10 traffic violations. No problem with the application process or selection. As for getting tickets while you're there, same deal. Report it to your flight commander. I don't think it would be a big deal lest it were habitual. But for ease, just don't get caught in the first place. Take that as you will.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Stopher

I was wondering if one speeding ticket would make the difference or not for me to get a pilot slot.....Im currently 19 and when i apply for a pilot slot I will be 21. Lets say I dont receive another speeding ticket (I have learned) until then. I received one speeding ticket when I was 16 and I was going 90mph on a 65mph zone......I have no other runins with the law and have been very good...Should one speeding ticket kill me??? I would hope not....

• 1 year later...
Guest 6strings

I have a question to add to this. I had a speeding ticket about 2 years ago. The officer actually handed me two tickets one was for speeding about 24 over, another was going to be for tailgating but since I was cooperative and polite he gave me a careless driving I believe it was. I went to court and spoke to the prosecutor where he dropped the careless driving but couldnt do anything with the speeding ticket. So I just paid the speeding ticket and left.

I came into the detachment and filled out my Form 35 with just the speeding ticket and totally forgot about the other one. But now I am wondering if it will even show up on my record. Should I report it or not?

Thank you

First of all, careless driving is a worse offense than tailgating, so either your not remembering correctly or he definitely didn't "hook you up" b/c you were being cooperative. Secondly, if the DA got completely rid of the careless thing, isn't that like it never existed? I would say just stick w/ the speeding ticket and move along.

First of all, careless driving is a worse offense than tailgating, so either your not remembering correctly or he definitely didn't "hook you up" b/c you were being cooperative.

In NJ, careless driving is only a 2 pt offense. Reckless driving is the bad one-- 5 points... which is the same number of points as Tailgating.

Point Schedule

6strings: What I would do is call the Motor Vehicle Commission of your state and request a Driver History Abstract (I think that's what it's called) and see if both violations show up on there. If not, I would follow up with a call to the Police Dept/Municipal Court in the town you got the ticket in and get the complete record they have of your violations there. If the violations show up at either of these sources, I would recommend reporting them to your detachment.

Being a pilot applicant and going through my TS investigation, I was paranoid about these things so I did all this myself last year to make sure nothing was going to come up that might jeopardize my chances. Yeah, the driver histories cost some money (in NJ at least), but the $8 I spent was well worth my peace of mind.

deal with the speeding ticket and dont worry about the other violation, but if you're worried, KILLACAM has some good advice. Just get a copy of your driving record so you know whats on there. If the DA "threw out" your other violation, its not in your file. I wouldnt worry though...

-summers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 6strings

In NJ, careless driving is only a 2 pt offense. Reckless driving is the bad one-- 5 points... which is the same number of points as Tailgating.

Point Schedule

6strings: What I would do is call the Motor Vehicle Commission of your state and request a Driver History Abstract (I think that's what it's called) and see if both violations show up on there. If not, I would follow up with a call to the Police Dept/Municipal Court in the town you got the ticket in and get the complete record they have of your violations there. If the violations show up at either of these sources, I would recommend reporting them to your detachment.

Being a pilot applicant and going through my TS investigation, I was paranoid about these things so I did all this myself last year to make sure nothing was going to come up that might jeopardize my chances. Yeah, the driver histories cost some money (in NJ at least), but the $8 I spent was well worth my peace of mind.

Yes,careless driving is only 2 pts, tailgating is like 4 pts and wreckless driving is the bad one which is really bad. When I signed up for ROTC at the end of the spring 09 semester I had to fill out the application including Form35 and since I lost my own records of the ticket I got i went to my towns municipal court where I went to 3 years ago to see the prosecutor. I went to the records department and asked if they could look up my old citation and the only one they gave me was the speeding ticket. So I am assuming they do not have a record of my other one that got 'dismissed'. Im just wondering if there could still be some record of it somewhere else. I guess ill talk to the DMV and give the Court a call and see. Thanks for your guys' help!