McConnell AFB info

Guest riceowl63

Guest riceowl63

Anybody know anything good about McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita, Kansas? My brother just found out he is gonna be sent there this summer for 3 weeks for Ops Air Force (he's at the academy) and he's not too pumped about it. Most of his friends got sent overseas to Japan, Korea, UK, etc. or at least to a fighter base to get an incentive ride. I'm just looking for anything fun or good anyone knows to do there so he might have some fun. Thanks for the help.

There is a Reserve KC-135 unit there that is associated with an Active Duty KC-135 unit, they fly R models. There is also a Kansas ANG KC-135 unit. The current idea is that the AF is going to make McConnell a "Super" tanker base (something like 64 135's). You may be SOL for getting a ride in a fighter or bomber.

• 2 weeks later...

As for McConnell I've never been stationed there, but I did live in Wichita for a summer. There are plenty of things to do around there and it isn't as bad as one might think, considering it's Kansas! There is a pretty good nightlife scene lots of bars and clubs to go to.

Guest Cider

I think the important answer to this question is...The place to go and get loaded is old town. There are also a few strip clubs scattered throughout the town. Under 18? No problem, there are a few 18 & under nights at some of the popular bars. By far the coolest squadron there is the 384th. Cool dudes that always have a good time. If partying is not you bag, there is plenty of flying going on (in the tankers) Good piece of advice, its what you make of it. Being there 3 years, it wasn't so bad at all.

Guest AWACker

Years ago, when Old Town wasn't quite as developed, Heroes was the bar to go to in "Old Town", and as far as I can remember, America's Pub has always sucked. I haven't been there, but many people have told me that the new Warren in Old Town is a good place to take someone out, with the beer and food and movie thing.

Guest Walter_Sobchak

I went to McConnell for OAF in the summer of 2002. It's a pretty nice base and Wichita is a decent city. Unless it's been greatly changed, there will be lots of free time during the program. With the exception of a flight on a KC-135R I don't think there were any days that went past two in the afternoon. They'll try to get you a flight but I wouldn't make any plans for fighter rides - the nearest unit I can think of is the OK Guard in Tulsa and getting rides from them would have been near impossible. Some folks also tried to get on a Coronet to Mildenhall, but the legal red tape with going off-station overseas prevented it. All in all, it is what you make of it. Awesome gym, good food, and fun in the full motion sims. I enjoyed my time there.

• 1 year later...
Guest newflyer

So I got my no.2 pick and am headed to the KC-135 at McConnell. I am pumped and ready to go.

I was curious if anyone could offer any advice on where to live. My wife likes the idea of living on base, mainly for the support while I'm gone, but also the safety and convenience. We started looking at homes in the Wichita area online. Looks like you can get a decent amount of house for for the money. We also like the idea of starting to build some equity.

Looking for advice of areas of Wichita, which to avoid and which are nice. Looks like Derby is pretty close to base, just a little south.

Thanks in advance.

We just bought a house last week up in Wichita. Derby is a good area and about ten to fifteen minutes from base. But it is the opposite direction from all the shopping. Don't get a house right around base (there are some nice subdivisions off of rock road) But the school system is one of the worst if you have kids. Andover is another place we heard of and visited quite a bit, it has the very best school system I have ever seen, it is close to shopping, there's a target, a walmart, restaurants. We bought our house in Bel Aire. It's 2500 sq ft, 5 bedrooms, (we have 4 kiddos)built in 2003 and we're paying 148,000.

If there is any info that I can give you please let me know. I resaerched the area extensively. Don't know if you have kids but the base gym has an area for you to bring your kids and there is a playgroup that meets twice a week.

When will you be up there? We close on our house the 2nd of December. My husband just started Altus last week for the 135 training. I just decided to go ahead and move without him and get it over with.

We just bought a house in Derby, closing on 13 Dec. We're as far South as you can get in Derby (a block away is Mulvane) and it's only a 15 minute drive max to base. You can definitely get a lot for your money. We got a 2400 sq ft house built in 2001 for 141,000.

I just hit the flightline at Altus for the PIQ, so if you guys have questions let me know.

• 1 year later...

I am trying to find out how long after getting your nav wings at Randolph a nav can expect to be casual (if at all) after selecting KC-135's to McConnel. Are guys going the next day or is there a lag? Also, does someone know what to expect once arriving at McConnel, is the school backed up, what is the syllabus like for a nav (how many flights, sims, tests, checkrides, how long is it). How many navs are at McConnel? How long untill a Nav would be MQ and ready to go down range? Is there any chance for some leave once arriving? What is Wichita like as far as houses, recreation, and the base are concerned?

Thanks for the help.

Dude, you're coming to McConnell; please spell the name right. You'll inprocess with the squadron to which they assign you, one of the following: 384 ARS, 350th, 349th, or 344th. Each squadron's pretty different from the others, but all Navigators will do their training through Group Training/ OST. Pilot's are all inhouse with the squadrons now - a huge Charlie Fox - count yourself lucky. You should get a sponsor anyway, but if you want a good contact, email me at rossqf80@hotmail.com, and I 'll hook you up with someone from your squadron.

When you get there, your name will probably already be on the Board of Pain as someone that's scheduled to deploy. It will take you 2-3 months to get spun up before you come to the desert. Total number of Navs on base - like 30 - 40, I think.

Edited by Fozzy Bear

Does it not say which squadron you're going to on your orders? You do have orders, right? You could just call McConnell's operator and ask for that squadron's ops desk - they might already have a sponsor assigned to you getting ready to call you. And if you end up talking to the OSS, that's at least a step in the right direction and a great way to find stuff out on your own instead of spazzing out here and asking 25 questions.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ElRoy

I liked McConnell, then again it was only 2 hours from KU, and 2.5 hrs from home. Wichita has enough to do. As far as these supposed "rumors," I would trust Boom on this one, he is flying with the units. Of course those Nav's you talk to are gonna deny that stuff, otherwise why do they have a job, etc, etc...called pride brotha (not that they have anything to be ashamed of).

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest C-21 Pilot

I'll be TDY here....one night only in the C-17....arriving on 6 Jan.

Any good tips for beer/food/beer joints...?

I'll be TDY here....one night only in the C-17....arriving on 6 Jan.

Any good tips for beer/food/beer joints...?

I was in the Guard there when the B-1s were still at McConnell. You can't go wrong if you get a car and drive up Rock road to the North. (the east gate drops you off on Rock). There are a ton of restaraunts once you get north of Kellogg and the mall. Old town has (or used to have) a bunch of good bars. If you want to help girls pay their way through school, go to Jesabells or Michelles Beach club. Jesabells is out the west gate and south past the Boeing factory. Michelles Beach club is in Derby, south of the base.

• 6 months later...

Can anyone tell me how base housing works at McConnell? Is it a crap shoot whether or not you get one of the newer houses over an old house? I'm getting married right before I report in, how does going about getting a base house work, do I have to wait to get there before I know if there are any open, or do I go on a list and do I need a marraige certificate or anything in order to get a house on base? Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I'm heading to Mcconnell as a boomer and was looking to see if anyone had info on the base at all. I'm cross-training so any info on McConnell boomers would be greatly appreciated also. Please share as much UNCLASSIFIED info that you can. I know booms go TDY a lot, I just hear that McConnell guys go a bit more than just a lot. Please provide some info if possible.

Not a tanker guy so I can't speak to the mission there, but have traveled to Boeing Wichita more times than I'd like to admit and have stopped at the base on occasion. Overall impression of the base: nice gym/community center but the worst BX I've ever seen. The latter shouldn't concern you because the Wichita area has everything else that you'd need, and has been rated in the top 10 cities in the US for growth. Boeing, Spirit, Cessna, and a few others all share real estate on McConnell, so there appear to be plenty of job opportunities on the outside. There's a nice range of housing options off-base, and the airport is served by multiple carriers. BL: I wouldn't mind getting stationed there.

I'm heading to Mcconnell as a boomer and was looking to see if anyone had info on the base at all. I'm cross-training so any info on McConnell boomers would be greatly appreciated also. Please share as much UNCLASSIFIED info that you can. I know booms go TDY a lot, I just hear that McConnell guys go a bit more than just a lot. Please provide some info if possible.

Rumor is deployment/TDY schedule is changing (less deployments, more TDY's) but I wouldn't hold your breath. Young booms can plan on 3 60-day vacations to the Deid with a few short TDY's each year. As for a cross-trainer, you'll probably get sent right out the door as soon as you finish MCT. After that, it will more depend on your rank, but assume at least 2 a year still.

As far as the base itself, overall it's fairly nice. I'll agree that our BX is one of the worst I've seen. But there's really no problem since Wichita has anything you could need. Plenty of stuff to do, tons of places to eat. KC and OKC are only a couple hours away if you want to get out of town for the weekend.

Shoot me a PM if you're looking for any specifics. Do you know which squadron you're coming to yet?

• 9 months later...

Anyone have recommendations on living near old town versus elsewhere. I am a single 1LT. Any specific reviews on downtown appts? I am expecting to start my 60 day deployments three or four months after I get there (my buddies who have already shown up are being told it will take that long to deploy), is this realistic?

Anyone have any updated information on base housing at McConnell AFB, KS? I will report around 21 January to the 349th and am trying to get an idea on any details staying on base (or off if on base sucks). Am qualified for a 4 bdrm