Cavity (cavities) questions

Guest Fokker172

Guest Fokker172

I hear that if you have cavities will you not have a shot for a pilot slot? Is this true?

Thanks.

Guest Fokker172

i have to get all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled and i have to get 1 filling. so i was just wondering if i have to do this before i can pass my FC1. i don't understand why you can't have a cavity to be in the air force? i don't think it'll make me a better pilot if i have a cavity or not. anybody know why?

thanks,

nick

There is a condition known as Barodontolgia (sp?) that exists as a possibly incapacitating pain if it isn't addressed.

The pressure differences encountered in UPT training can exert a fair amount of pain if cavities exist.

The same goes for if the filling is done in a haphazard manner. Microscopic air bubbles may form and again, exert pressure on the already super-sensitive nerves.

MIke

Guest Flight Doc

If you have dental "cavities," they need to be fixed. That's the rule.

Barodontalgia is tooth pain realted to air pressue change. Uncommon, but can happen.

• 1 year later...
Guest driftsight

My unit NCO tells me that I'll lose my pilot slot AND won't be able

to commission (dec) if I don't get my 2 or 3 cavities fixed very soon.

He says the AF won't pay for it either. And figuring that they have already spent many thousands on my...is this correct? I've heard

of guys getting their cavities fixed once entering active duty. Seeing

as I absolutly can not afford a trip to the dentist this concerns me

greatly! Any info or knowledge is appreciated...

Guest hokie00

I had to get couple of cavities fixed to get FC1A qualified. And I didn't have any money either. I had to borrow 2000 bucks.

If you have to take out a loan to get your teeth fixed, do it.

But I'm a civilian who was applying for OTS. I don't know how it applies to your situation..

Guest driftsight

Thanks all, I just found out that USAA offers near guranteed loans for soon to commission cadets... I guess now its just a matter of making an appointment.

• 1 year later...
Guest priorAF

Hey what's the deal with cavaties and the FC1? I have like four fillings from when I was younger. They are all the metal kind and I have heard that that was unacceptable. Can someone fill me in please?

Guest Lightninbo

Relax guys... they only make you remove the fillings and have the teeth pulled if those cavities were filled before 1990.

Hehe...good show Lightnin...

Before anyone jumps off a bridge or in front of a bus...

You can have metal fillings! I have 3 of them from when I was a kid and haven't had a problem in 10 years of AF flying.

It's a good thing that I didn't listen to high school friends and parents who said, "You'll never fly in the Air Force with flat feet and cavities!"

Guest priorAF

Thanks Bergman. That 1990 comment scared the sh!t out of me. Whats the deal if you go down for the FC1 and they find a new one?

Guest doctidy

it would have to be something that was not fixable. cavities are fine. many of our pilots grew up before flurinated water and toothpaste. they've got a mouthful!

Guest kalyx522

priorAF - It may not be a bad idea to get a routine checkup before you go get your FC1.. esp since checkups are free with most insurance providers. I got mine yesterday just to make sure I don't have new problems (as far as the mouth is concerned at least..) Turns out I REALLY need to take out my wisdom teeth, but I don't know if that will be a problem at all if I can't get those pulled out before the FC1...??

Guest cbire880

Sienna,

Get 'em yanked out. It'll make you a lot happier when they finally start acting up. I put mine off for a long time until one day they decided to push back. Hurt like hell. Had them out the week before my MEPS physical, they didn't care. The flight docs would know better, but if you get them out a month before the FC1, they should be pretty well healed up.

• 2 months later...
Guest Aflyer

Why, on initial commissioning physicals, are pilots and navs required to have all cavities filled by civilian docs before the physical is certified? What effect does having a cavity have on flying positions? And why is it only for FCI/IA and does not include FCIII?

Guest Aflyer

"But teacher, I've already FINISHED my coloring ..."

Seriously though, I'm not complaining about having to get dental work done - it's already been done. I'm curious about the reasoning, and also about the difference between FCI/IA and FCIII as far as dental requirements.

Guest earschicken

also, in an unpressurized aircraft, cavities can allow for pockets of air in your teeth that will give you fits during pressure changes (i.e. climb, descent).

As said above - the reason to fill your cavities is due to the pressures felt during flight.

You might experience a "squeeze" - which is quite painful, I'm told. Even in a pressurized cockpit, your cabin altitude will rise up to as high as 9,900 feet (just shy of 10,000) and any cavity could translate to extreme pain and discomfort (a crewmember in my squadron ended up in the emergency room with massive unrelenting mouth pain.

Guest Aflyer

And those people certified under FCIII physicals are understood to be in a position where debilitating pain from a cavity will not cause a life-threatening situation, whereas an incapacitated pilot or nav would be a bad thing?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Broncopilot943

I know on the FC1, if you have a cavity, they make you get it fixed by your own dentist. What though, happens if you report for UPT and they find one on the FC2? Im not even sure if they do a dental exam. If they do though, will the AF fix it, or what?

Thanks