Contact lens info

Guest jassayag

Guest jassayag

I am getting ready to go to OTS and UPT for the AF reserve and currently wear glasses. My eyes are 20/25 left and 20/30 right. A friend of mine just got contacts that he can wear for 30 days at a time. Can i get those as well and is it advisabe to wear contacts at OTS? Thanks.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To my knowledge, the AF won't care what kind of contacts you wear until you're on the AF contact lense program for flyers. Everyone I know (myself included) who's on the program uses the AcuView (sp?) 2 week contacts. 30-day contacts sound like a good idea for OTS. Good luck.

Guest jassayag

So do I need to contact the flight surgeon at my base about it first or can I just go and do it now?

Can i get those as well and is it advisabe to wear contacts at OTS
I didn't go through OTS, so I don't know what their vision-correction regs are (if any). I do know that if you're going to wear contacts AND fly (while in UPT, FTU, etc) you have to be on the USAF Contact Lens Program. Some wings will pay for your lenses after you've been cleared to wear them by the optometrist, while others will not. So I'd expect to buy a short supply to get you through OTS (assuming contacts are OK to wear there) and wait til you get to UPT to get on the program and see if they'll pay for them. I think I answered your question this time.

This is kind of related. I've tried finding some information related to the contact lens program, but I haven't had any luck. I remember awhile ago seeing something about the requirements for flyers and a list of approved contacts at the end, but I haven't been able to find it.

I've also heard some conflicting information about how to get on the program. Some people have said that it can be a pain and the they want to know how long you have worn contacts and problems you've had while others have said it is no big deal (especially if you are currently wearing contacts) and you just let them know you want to be put on the program.

If anyone had any info, it would be helpful in knowing what I'm going to be up against.

[ 18. May 2004, 22:14: Message edited by: CHQ Pilot ]

Guest F16PilotMD

It's easy. They will give you a list of approved contacts and cleaning solutions. There is a form to fill out about eye history. The eye doc will check you out with and without them in...viola. I am not 100% sure of the AETC policy at SUPT...someone on here has been there, done that...tell us.

Some studs were lucky enough to get put on the program AND have their contacts paid for while in UNT at Randolph, while others were not. I guess it depends on who you ask and on what day. Like F16MD said, getting on the program is a pretty painless process. In fact, the toughest part may be just scheduling that initial appointment and the 1wk, 1month, 3month followups. As far as lens brands and solutions go, I wasn't given a choice but that may be a base specific thing too.

My advice would be to get on the program ASAP, preferably while you still can deconflict those first few appointments with your schedule.

• 9 months later...
Guest guardhopefull

Hey all I'm trying to get some help on this one if anyone has expereince.

I was given orders to attend Brooks only two weeks ago and I have been on an Ortho-K hard contact lense program. My unit told me they were going to change the Brooks date but this has yet to happen so as it stands I’m leaving on Tuesday. I stopped wearing my contacts only this past Monday, so do you think that will be enough time to get a regular reading for the corneal topography? My civilian doc told me a while back that it really only takes about a week for the Orhto K lenses to loose all detectable effect and that the docs add in a few extra weeks just for a fudge factor. I can already tell my vision is much worse after having the lenses out for just a few days. Of course who knows what the topography will show.

I guess if they ask me about wearing them at Brooks, I will just tell them I was under the impression I was not coming to Brooks so soon and see what they say. I’m guessing they might have me come back. Thanks

Guest dumaisj

Dude, I looked into that when I was searching for an alternative to glasses/contacts. From my understanding and research of it, a history of ortho-k within the previous six months of examination is disqualifying. I don't know how long it'll take to give a normal corneal top. reading, but that was the CYA legal explanation I found.

[ 26. February 2005, 21:21: Message edited by: dumaisj ]

Guest jackhammer130

Dude,

Quit wearing the lenses. I was at brooks and asked the flight doc about them. His exact words were. DON'T THINK ABOUT IT. IF YOU GET CAUGHT YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. In that exact tone. Just be careful.

Guest F16PilotMD

The way I see it you've got one shot at this. Why would you take a chance on getting DQ'd at Brooks? It will/can be difficult to get a waiver or a second chance for things found at Brooks. I would delay the trip if I were you. Does your unit know you are wearing these things? Why are you wearing these things? I'm confused how/why you are wearing them if you are planning on flying in the USAF...?

Guest guardhopefull

Understand I was not using them to try and cheat a test, believe me after 3 months of OTS I have had it hammered into my head about not doing stupid things, but even before that I would not try and cheat the system. There is no way I made it this far only to have something taken away in one day.

I was on this program well before I even applied to my pilot slot simply cause I was tired of being so blind when I had my regular lenses out, so my optometrist simply suggested it and it worked well. I have had the lenses out since early last week and I did tell my unit about it but they said to just go take the MFS anyways. They just told me I was going to Brooks two weeks ago, I was under the impression I was not going anyways cause my FC1 was not finished. Guess what, its still not finished as of this week and apparently my unit thinks I’m still going only to finish the FC1 testing at Brooks. Either way it’s a big charlie foxtrot and I was just curious on what you all knew about the program.

Dumaisj where did you find that info Id like to show it to the boss. Thanks

[ 27. February 2005, 12:06: Message edited by: guard/reserve hopefull ]

G/R I happened to be sitting at Brooks on casual after I was DQed for a different reason (BTW I'm awaiting my 3rd visit for FS at Brooks, so it is very possible to go back for a reattack...I'm also active duty), when a guy walked in that had been DQed for that very reason (hard contacts). They made him wait 6 months to be retested. It probably doesn't take that long for the effects to go away, but that will be their standard answer.

TR

• 1 month later...
Guest lightning4eva

Howdy,

I've done a search in numerous places but have been unable to find a list of brands of contacts that are authorized at UPT.

I'm commissioning in May 05, been wearing contacts for about 2 years, passed my FC1 (barely w/20/70 L 20/50 R) and I'm about to run out of my contact supply. I'd rather get a checkup and get a new brand of contacts.

I'm gonna be at Andrews for a while at IFT so I'll have some time to get used to them. Any help is much appreciated.

Guest doctidy

Spherical

CSI-EW

Durasoft 3

Hydrasoft XW

Toric

Hydrasoft Toric FW

Hyudrocurve 3 Toric

Sunsoft Eclipse

Sunsoft Toric 15.0

Disposable

Acuvue

Acuvue 2

Acuvue advance

Hydron Biomedics 55 UV

1 day acuvue

focus visiting monthly

frequency 55 EW

frequency 55 aspheric fw

night & Days

soflens 38 system

disposable toric

acuvue toric

biomedics toric

focus toric

frequency 55 toric FW

hydrasoft toric FW

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Salukipilot2685

I just recently read that the Navy just developed a new soft-lense contacts policy that allows pilots with vision up to 20/400 to wear soft-contacts and still be able to fly. I was just wondering if anyone knows if AF is planning on making (if they already haven't) changes to the medical standards to allow AF pilots to do the same?

Guest doctidy

The AF allows pilots to wear contacts w/ 20/400 vision and fly as long as they are corrected to 20/20 near and distant. Astygmatism cannot be greater than 2.00 diopters. The full contact lens policy is at attachment 17 of AFI 48-123.

If you are talking about relaxing the vision requirements for Flying Class I (initial pilot qualification)...I attended the last Aircrew Standards Board in April as well as the Aeromedical Corporate Board meeting 2 days ago. Ophthalmology made no recommendation at that time to change Flying Class I standards.

• 6 months later...

I have a waiver for excessive astigmatism in my right eye. I start UPT May 11.

I've done a search, but I can find this specific information. I've found that you CAN wear soft contact lenses as UPT, but nothing very specific.

Anyway, I have never worn glasses or contacts. I still don't. Brooks said I must wear correction to perform flying duties, so I'd much rather get on the Soft Contact Lense program than wear glasses through UPT.

How do I go about doing this? I know you must wear them for six months prior, which won't be a problem if I do it now.. But how do I prove I've been wearing them?

Also, what are the best soft contacts for astigmatism? CAn I just take the numbers from my FC1 to a glasses/contact place and get it filled?

Thanks!

[ 15. November 2005, 09:59: Message edited by: CrashA10 ]

Guest doctidy

Crash:

LOL! Getting contacts (or glasses for that matter) is more than some numbers from your FC1 physical! You can get all that done when you arrive at UPT. I don't know where you get the "six months prior" info. You'll be wearing them in an aircraft in a couple of weeks.

Our (FS) job is to enhance the performance of aircrew. We'll get you to best corrected vision (maybe 20/15) vs the civilian getting you to 20/20. There are only certain types of "toric" contacts (the type used to correct astigmatism) which are authorized for wear. We'll put you in the right ones.

You're in. You've been accepted. Just concentrate on learning and getting ready for UPT...we'll take care of the rest.

Originally posted by Rage_:P:

Crash:

LOL! Getting contacts (or glasses for that matter) is more than some numbers from your FC1 physical!

I thought the prescription was written on the FC1 documentation. I have no idea about that stuff. :confused:

You can get all that done when you arrive at UPT. I don't know where you get the "six months prior" info. You'll be wearing them in an aircraft in a couple of weeks.
I read it here in another forum. Something about a Soft Contact Lense Program. So if I just wait until I get to UPT, they'll get me a pair of whatever works best?

Our (FS) job is to enhance the performance of aircrew. We'll get you to best corrected vision (maybe 20/15) vs the civilian getting you to 20/20. There are only certain types of "toric" contacts (the type used to correct astigmatism) which are authorized for wear. We'll put you in the right ones.
Yeah, I've been reading about the "toric" contacts. The flight docs at Brooks said they'd correct my left eye to 20/15 and my right eye to 20/20.

You're in. You've been accepted. Just concentrate on learning and getting ready for UPT...we'll take care of the rest.
THanks for the info, and thanks for the job you do. Much appreciated.

Crash, I was in a similar situation trying to find out about contact lenses with astigmatism. When I got to UPT they said you could wear contacts flying if you had been wearing them already for a year (which I obviously hadn't since I just found out). Got set up with contacts the week after graduating (about 5 months ago) and now I wear them all the time. I've got the toric lenses and they work pretty well, no complaints so far. I can see an easy 20/20 with them, and can make out the 20/15 line if I work at it.

If I were you I'd just wear glasses while going through UPT though. The contacts take a little while to get used to (especially the toric since they're weighted). So unless you have a lot of time between when you get them and when you start training, it'll just be a distraction from your flying (and you'll have enough of those as it is).

Let me know if you have any questions from someone who's currently wearing the lenses/gone through the process.

Guest acj7464

Here at Columbus they will NOT fit you with an initial issue of contacts until after you have your wings. They say it is too time consuming during your already full training program.

As long as you have been wearing a set of contacts and those contacts allow you to see 20/20 the day of your physical the first week of UPT they will start you on the contact lens program. At least this was my case.

I do have an astigmatism and LOVE my TORIC 55s.

Good Luck

• 4 months later...

Hey all,

I'm finishing up my freshman year of college and AFROTC, and have 20/40 to 20/50 vision in both eyes. While I can see well enough to do normal day to day activities, I hate missing out on some of the finer details of life. The only thing stopping me from wearing contacts is that I heard that if you wear them, they act as a "crutch" for your eyes, so over time your eyes will worsen (more than they would naturally). With my vision being close to the 20/70 limit, I haven't wanted to risk it. Is there any truth to this? Also, if I do get contacts and wear them regularly, will this only complicate things for me when I go for my pilot slot / flight medical? I can go without correction for now if there's any risk to things being more complicated down the road.

Has anyone been that close to the 20/70 limit and still worn contacts and received their pilot slot?

I'll be 20 in September, so I'm hoping that my eyes have somewhat stabilized by now...

Thanks!

[ 17. April 2006, 17:07: Message edited by: FlyAF ]

• 2 months later...
Guest P27:17

You might want to take a look at AFI 48-123, A17.1.3. As I read it, the AF won't pay for your contacts and you can only wear them at UPT if you've been wearing AF approaved SCLs for at least 6 months prior to training. There are many more details in the reference above.

Good luck

When you get to your UPT base they should ask if anyone wears contacts and if they want to schedule an appointment to get on the program. Took about 5 minutes and the all they did was ask a few questions about how long I had been wearing and what brand. They also covered the special solutions to use and the standard Air Force safety precautions. Pretty painless actually. They key is to be wearing contacts before you get to UPT.

If they don't say anything during your medical inprocessing, stop by the eye doc and ask. They'll be able to hook you up.