General AF Reserve info

Guest chaw

Hey ReserveWpilot,

If the Guard/Reserve cocks%cking insinuations chafe you the wrong way, you're going to have a long a$$ decade trying to get into the AFReserves or the ANG.

I was YOU about 4 years ago. At the time I thought to myself that if I worked hard in school in a technical major and busted my ass saving for and obtaining my civlian ratings, the Guard/Reserve would see my potential and hire me....tough sh$t, wasn't enough.... and here I sit, actually with an unsponsored pilot slot from the Reserves, working on the end of my second straight year of applications, going on the beginning of the third.

To be honest, the best thing you can do is enlist with the unit and build up a reputation with them...there are countless examples of people on this board who did this and it worked for them. I didn't enlist because I felt potential deployments would prolongate, for far too long, the completion of a major that didn't even enable me to have a civilian part-time job, let alone a military one. In addition, I was out-of-state so I couldn't really commit to one unit, I needed the flexibility. Nowadays I have too many college degrees to ever consider enlisting, at the most I would commission into a non-flying job, but I digress. My point being, you're still in sophomore year, consider enlisting with the unit you're interested in. And by the way, that doesn't even preclude you from applying everywhere else, which isn't a bad proposition either since you'll be prior enlisted to them (as opposed to in-house which is the ideal case).

So you really can't lose by enlisting, unless you piss off the wrong person and/or get deployed and your schooling prolongates for ions.

Other than that, yeah visiting helps (I really don't know why I keep giving advice to the competition..oh well) and if you're not a social person then it can be tough... there I can't help you much, I'll tell you where the good fish are but I can't teach you how to fish, I'm on thin gas myself :D

As for the Reserves, MOST definitively, you need face time. If you're looking for fighters, I'll save ya the homework and tell ya they're not hiring (and the line is long for a change LOL), but you're still about 3 years away from being in a position to apply so you shouldn't worry too much about the current environment.

Reserve Heavy units are hiring on a seasonal basis due to the 2 yearly boards the AFRC holds, so for them it might still pay off to try the unsponsored route if don't quite get through by the normal sponsored route of directly interviewing with the unit (a la' Guard style). And of course, don't forget to also try the ANG; for the purposes of this thread they are one in the same jobwise.

Do your best at school, have fun, take your AFOQT, BAT etc etc, get your PPL if you can and try and network with the units as much as possible. You can always forego the networking and go active (ROTC, or OTS if ya decide late in your college tenure). good luck bud

MDINC

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by sleepy:

I'd "befriend" someone with a bird on his or her shoulder and find out--or create--as much dirt as possible about their past.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by MDINC:

Other than that, yeah visiting helps (I really don't know why I keep giving advice to the competition..oh well) and if you're not a social person then it can be tough... there I can't help you much, I'll tell you where the good fish are but I can't teach you how to fish, I'm on thin gas myself

I think this should be annotated with the phrase "within reason."

I don't know anything about heavy units, so the advice I give is based on my experience with fighter units.

It has been my experience that these guys aren't looking for someone to talk up their experience or qualifications. That's what the interview is for. When you're hanging out in the squadron bar or around the ops counter, keep your mouth shut and listen. No one is going to care about your cessna stories. No one is going to care about your 3.6969 GPA. If they ask, by all means, tell them.. But they're really looking for someone who's going to listen and absorb what they're saying.

If you come off too strong, too confident, too whatever.. You'll never make it beyond that visit. If you're humble, sociable (I'm not saying don't talk at all.. I'm just saying be a good dude and don't brag about yourself), and don't make an ass out of yourself, you'll have an excellent chance.. Oh yeah, and when you're in the bar or wherever and they're smashing your bag about whatever, take it in stride. If you joke back(Disclaimer: Don't call a dude an asshole or try to insult him) or let it roll off you, you'll have a far better shot than if you let it bother you. Remember, they're picking someone they'll likely fly with for the next 10 years.. They're going to want someone they like and can go on trips with.

Just my humble observation based on rushing a unit and getting selected.

If you're looking for fighters, I'll save ya the homework and tell ya they're not hiring (and the line is long for a change LOL), but you're still about 3 years away from being in a position to apply so you shouldn't worry too much about the current environment.
Yeah, BRAC definitely changed that atmosphere completely. What is it down to now, four fighter units?

You shouldn't have a problem doing that, there are several -10 outfits been shuffled. Whiteman seems the more likely one for you (it's some of y'alls birds after all :D ) but Guard outfits are also shuffling, so it might gravitate down to those too.

Bottom line, you're still golden, I have no hesitation in acknowledging the fact that I envy your position.

Congrats and keep the pointy side forward! UPT is a handful but I bet it's a blast too

• 8 months later...
Guest gapilot21

I recently graduated from college and just turned 22 years old. My question is can I apply for Air Force Reserve OTS now and get a commission doing something in logistics and also keep my application for a pilot slot active? I don't want to join up now only to lose the opportunity for a slot but I am excited about being an officer in the reserve now. Will it help my chances for a UPT slot. Also, if I would like to go active duty is this a difficult process to do? Thanks for any assistance.

Guest Hud Cripple

Yes, you can apply for OTS and become a officer that is in a non-flying field. Yes, you can apply for UPT after you have been an officer for a while.

My advise - If you qualify for UPT now, GO! There are too many variables that can negatively impact your chances if you delay. (ie. #of slots offered, medical, age)