I'm Home Schooled What Should I Do?

Guest JustinHR

Guest deweygcc

Big things about MILITARY flying that all will agree:

Long hours

being away from home.

Deployed to a hell hole.

But it will suck while you are there, but you look back it will have been the time of your life.

Whether you fly fighters or Heavies, you will always have a family of crew or pilots that you will become a part of.

There will be long days of AETC crap :D ( sorry couldnt resist at least one AETC crack) long days of training, long days of planning, but then it comes together, and you will feel wierd calling it a job or work.

You dont go to work, you go to the squadron, or you " fly today" you dont "work"

I am a nav yet I havent ONCE said what am I doing here? I didnt choose pilot for different reasons. But I think I covered it. Please chime in others.

On the falconer to my knowledge there isnt one, but there could be. You can be a falconer just write your state for info on it. I will be doing that once I get some time. My old state required that they be released after 3 years, to start you will need to feed them baby mice, then enjoy, you will need to spend time and be an apprentice to start with.

Oh Hook Billed birds ( parrots or birds of prey) make AWESOME additions

Guest skipplet

The Air Force Academy accepts home-schoolers, so I'm pretty sure you can get an ROTC scholarship. You just need to be involved in your community. Play sports, volunteer at your church or something, just be active, and help others. I can't stress how much volunteering will make your resume look great, but more importantly it makes you a better person, and aids your community and those in need.

Good luck, and when you feel distant and disconnected for your dreams, just keep pushing and pushing harder to make them reality. At least that's what I try to do.

Guest JustinHR

Ok Thanks alot for the info.

I have a problem though I live in such a SMALL TOWN that there are not very many places to volunteer the only place a I can think of is volunteer at the local library with their computers (I'm a computer nut, Got any questions just ask, I like solving problems). I geuss I could volunteer at the bike ride next year.

I think as soon as I get my license (in the next couple months)I will ride to Richmond to see a recruiter and do what ever he says. I live at the bottom of Virginia.

I see on the ROTC website that they have what is called a cross town agreement with a community college does this mean I can go there and still do ROTC? Can someone explain the cross town thing? I really don't want to have to live in a dorm with someone. Like I said before I don't drink and I don't smoke anything and I don't want someone in my dorm drunk and throwing up and all while I try to sleep or study. I don't mind sharing a room when I'm in the air force because they won't be able to get but so drunk.

One last one how does Junior ROTC help you? I of course can't go into Junior ROTC because I'm home schooled.

Guest CadetLinton

Justin,

First of all I want to say good job to you for getting on and finding out all the information you can and asking so many questions. I have had my own problems dealing with recruiters.

I will jump in on your last post here. I am currently a Junior in college and am doing a cross town agreement with the AFROTC. Basically what that is, is that I go to a University that does not offer ROTC but there is one that does offer it 100 miles away from me. So..once a week me and some ROTC buddies car pool to that university for our ROTC session. You will still get the same college credit for going there as you will at your own university. Clear as mud?

As far as living in a dorm with someone, well sometimes as a freshman you have to.....the only way around this is if you live at home with your parents.

Junior ROTC, im not real familiar with because I didnt do it. I think its kinda like PRE-ROTC. You learn some military terminology and learn to march so that your not completely clueless when you do start ROTC. It will probably look good on a resume also, shows initiative. It is not a requirement by any means though.

Another thing is, your really wanting to be a pilot......so if you havnt already start working on your PPL. I just got mine a couple months ago. Some say it helps while others say you dont need it to become a military pilot. True its not a requirement, but its cool to have and will help a couple scores. Scores that are part of your package that determine if you get a slot or not!!!

Anyway, GOOD LUCK!!

Justin,

A lot of shcools have what's called "substance-free" dorms and stuff like that. All the kids there agree not to drink, smoke, dip, run naked, etc. The kids who do tend to stay away for the same reasons. I went to a pretty small school, but one floor of a dorm was dedicated to these folks.

After you freshman year, you kind of find out who's got similar interests, goals, grade point averages and alcohol tolerances and you end up living with them for the next few years.

So if you're worried about having a guy like me for a roommate who's gonna come rolling in at 2AM after an all day and half the night bender(ever see the movie P.C.U), ask the residence folks about this option.

Oh, and I wouldn't count on the Air Force guys not to drink as much, either. We have a reputation to uphold . In all seriousness, the Air Force is a cross-section of society. There are those who party like rock stars just like everywhere else, they just tend to be somewhat more responsible and have their buds watching out for them a little closer than in the civillian sector.

[ 04. August 2004, 12:33: Message edited by: PAB ]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JustinHR

Sorry I have not posted back anything been kinda of busy.

I have started working out more right now I'm probably not up to some of the Air Force requirements but I'm almost there. About getting my Private Pilots License, I think I'm going to try to get them once I get a job. How much does it cost to get your PPL?

Is it possible that a community college have a Cross-town ROTC? I keep hearing that you have to have a 4 year degree but I went on ROTCs website and they had a community college near Virginia Tech that had a cross town agreement with Virginia Tech.

Well I got a pilot that has a little 2 seater Cessna that says the next time he flies he is going to take me up with him so thats cool. I also got a friend of my Uncle's who is a recruiter who said he can almost promise me a place in Navy ROTC. He said he has yet to get a guy who wanted to be in ROTC not in. So I always got a back-up, he said he wants to talk to me before I enter the Air Force :rolleyes: .

I hear of all these UAVs coming out now and wonder if I will even have a job after ROTC. But I keep saying why are they coming out with the F-22 and F-35 if in 10-15 years from now they are going to be replaced.

[ 26. August 2004, 09:54: Message edited by: JustinHR ]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JustinHR

One more thing if you go on long missions what do you do if you got to "go"? A Cup and hope you don't get in a dogfight? LOL

[ 10. September 2004, 12:48: Message edited by: JustinHR ]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deweygcc

so were are u at right now? ANd didn you learn from the navy speak on here that it should be the LAST thing you pick :D

If you have a state run community college it should have ROTC. I know in MASS if you went to a CC, you could automatically have all your credits transfered to a list of 4 year colleges and be enrolled in ROTC.

Heavies and bombers ( one in the same) have toilets. Fighters.... well there are quite a few pilots that have a callsign that speaks to their LACK of bodily function control, and yeah they had to clean it out.

Guest JustinHR

Yeah Navy is my LAST Choice. Basically if the Air Force looks at me and says sorry you can't be a pilot in the AF then I go to the navy. I live on the VA/NC border. I live in the bottom middle area of Virginia in the smallest town you have ever seen. I will have to look into the community college thing. I'm going to have to go to a community college before I go to a 4-year college because I'm going to have to take a foreign language and algebra 2. Because it is so hard to do those two at home.

LOL wow didn't know that. Well I can "Hold It" a long time so hopefully I will be ok. How long are missions usually?

Can someone if they have time tell me the pros can cons of aircraft they have piloted?

Also I'm going to the Oceana Air Show sunday! Anyone going to be there?

Guest NimitsTexan

Just too let you know, I was homeschooled from kindergarten to High School graduation. Opted out of going to an acedemy, but got double full ride scholarships at the U of Arkansas, did 4 years of AFROTC there, and am schedualed to go to UPT in December (doing IFT at the moment). Also now a home-schooled Academy grad (he is an engineer rather than a pilot, but still . . .).

BTW, I don't drink either (so there are a few of us).

No reason that a home-schooler can't do anything in the military that a public- or private-schooler can.