Great Navy terms

Guest Ghost63

Guest Ghost63

Okay, not buying the deployment thing. The only reason Navy deployments are longer is because you have to get the damned boat there. By that point, CCT guys have been bringing in AF airlift with ground bubbas for weeks, minimum. Thanks for showing up fellas. Don't be mad because a C-17 can get me home before your carrier group can.

And I find it pretty amusing to watch a guy with a pretty little fur collar on his coat make sun of a flying scarf tradition...

Uniforms? You'll probably hear me bad-mouth them more than anyone from another service. They're hideous and embarrasing. But wearing a flight suit all the time instead makes it easier to deal with.

And no, we don't have 200 years of tradition. But having taken only 60 to surpass the Navy's wartime capability and relevance is tradition enough. :D (Men's department of the navy notwithstanding.)

Guest sleepy
Originally posted by 35AoA:

"So to Speak" is pretty gay coming [so to speak] from the AF. i enjoy [so to speak] briefing with AF dudes and making it a point to say things like "cockpit" [so to speak], "coming in for the overhead" [so to speak], etc to watch those dudes cringe [so to speak?]. i don't see the point in "so to speak" other than it's gay, so to speak.

Somebody's got to say it...

That's funny.

Originally posted by Rocker:

I think many would argue against your (convoluted) perspective on Air Force deployments. Unless you mean "deploy" out to sea...

I think the deployment perception has to do with the time spent deployed.(Serious question here) How long are your deployments? I've heard 60-90 days... Is it anywhere near the 6+ months (often a lot longer these days) that the Navy/Marine Corps typically does? Navy has different terms to describe smaller amounts of time away (2 month "det" or "underway" for example). If Air Force deployments are less then the 6-x month norm these days then they don't "deploy" as the Navy knows the term... hence the perceptions.

[ 16. March 2006, 00:17: Message edited by: Zippy ]

Guest thebronze

FWIW, I think the different colored bags thing is kinda neato. I get sick of seeing everyone in the same sh*t. It was nice when you used to see people in orange and blue bags (now it's only green and dirty-a** desert, because they attract dirt like a magnet).

Breaks up the monotony, you know?

Guest sprint

Zippy,

Most Air Force deployments are 120 days. However, cops and a few other specialties are gone 6 months on, 6 months off, Nonstop. Also, a lot of the C-17/C-130 guys are gone 200+ days every year.

Anyway, every one of my Army friends thinks the Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force don't really deploy. They all say the Navy/Marine 7 month deployments are a joke compared to there 18 months (12 months in country). They're the branch having to carry a lot of the weight. The Air Force and Navy are both making people do Army jobs because the stress the Army is feeling.

Guest SuperStallionIP
Anyway, every one of my Army friends thinks the Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force don't really deploy.
They are obviously naive as hell or they are ignorant boobs.

They all say the Navy/Marine 7 month deployments are a joke compared to there 18 months (12 months in country). They're the branch having to carry a lot of the weight.
Well...that's what happens when they are doctrinally an "occupation force".

Guest sprint

BigIron,

I'm sure most Army guys could care less about Air Force or Navy deployments. They just hate when somebody complains about the high ops tempo EVERYBODY is experiencing. They all understood what they were signing up for.

However, I think most Army guys would argue that they aren't staffed for long-term occupation duty even if it is in their doctrine. They are stretched pretty thin right now.

Either way, I'm not sure why I'm defending the Army. I just wanted to show what my Army friends perception is of all the other services. But I'm not in the Army, Air Force, Navy, or Marines so what do I know.

Sprint

No, you make a good point. The US military in general is not adequately resourced to maintain two major operations for this long (except for 40" plasma TVs, which seem to be in excess). The Army is taking a major hit trying to maintain this opstempo and it is beginning to have its effects. The USAF isn't fairing much better, we seem more focused on F-22s than on the equipment (e.g C-130s) we need to sustain our current ops. Of course the ideal thing to do right now is to have a major reorg as we all know that fixes everything! beat.gif

Cheers! M2

Guest help me solo
Originally posted by MajorMadMax:

Sprint

The USAF isn't fairing much better, we seem more focused on F-22s than on the equipment (e.g C-130s) we need to sustain our current ops. M2

Bingo! I think the Operational mission is more important than the procurement mission.

Guest 35AoA
Originally posted by Ghost63:

But having taken only 60 to surpass the Navy's wartime capability and relevance is tradition enough. :D (Men's department of the navy notwithstanding.)

not trying to change the subject and, trust me, i'm not sticking up for the navy because i like to make fun of them as much as the next guy, but i think you might be stretching it to think the AF has surpassed the navy's wartime capability. squids can quietly park a couple sub's off of a coast and while they are "hot-racking" with each other, reign down Tomahawks within minutes and not worry about any loss of friendlies, but the AF has to fly 12+ hours from Missouri, and usually needs overflight permission, before it can reign down any death & destruction, not to mention worry about the politics of a 2 billion dollar aircraft getting shotdown. yep, i'd say we all have the same relevance on today's battlefield.

back to the topic - i forgot to mention that as much as i like to make fun of the AF, spoiled and overly anal-retentive, etc, i still prefer AF bases when it comes to going on the road! AF does it right, that's for sure, except for Kunsan .. given the choice i'd rather stay a Marine Corps base than Kunsan ...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest scottaxelson

I always wondered what happened when your stuck on a boat for wayyyy too long. Glad Im in the AF.

Guest dewey405

OK I am not a Navy officer, but I am Navy stationed on a AF base for the last 4.5 years and at least 3 more to go. As far as the traditions go, yes we have alot more and yes, some do stand in the way of progress, but they also seem to give us ALOT more pride in what we do. It seems like many of the AF guys I have met do not have this. Second, the haircuts.....you look like college students, period. I must admit though, the reason I have stayed on the AF base is because you guys do take care of your own, the Navy, well, not so much. The gay comments are very much expected but over half the AF guys I see look like the AF recruits from the high school band or something, either very feminine or prettier than the girls. Ok this was not a AF v. Navy rant as I get to experience both on a daily basis, so I get to see good and bad sides to both. On the subject of the blue flightsuits, as far as I know, only really old fliers and Blues wear those anymore, they are only VIP type gear anymore. And as far as the Numa Numa video, Gold Bond.....need I say more?

Guest scottaxelson

Good come back Dewey. I know those guys got in trouble for the gold bond, but still a dang hilarious video. Especially with the chick in it. I hope they didnt get in too much trouble....

Guest KoolKat
Originally posted by a nav:

I always wondered what happened when your stuck on a boat for wayyyy too long. Glad Im in the AF.

I think it's genetic.

BENDY

Speaking of how different the services are and their perception of the Air Force... I saw an article on Strategypage.com a few months ago talking about the opening of a new gym at a Marine base in Okinawa. The funny thing is the new gym was described as "Air Force quality". http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htmoral/a...s/20060125.aspx

Guest Toreador

AF/ Army History:

The reason behind the the scarves was because back in the day the engine exhaust blew straight into the face of pilots. The scarf was a practical accessory to keep the pilots from sucking fumes all day, and from freezing their face off at altitude. Open cockpits will do that to you.

Guest Hours Hore
Originally posted by MajorMadMax:

BRAVO ZULU, I knew what it meant from my last first joint tour, but I had to Google it to find out where it comes from...

Actually FedEx uses this as well. Guess Fred brought it with him from the Marines. Employees (All employees, not just pilots) who do something above and beyond get a Bravo Zulu, which is a certificate and some kind of monetary reward.

And knowing is half the Battle.

Sorry, most Marines don't use it either. At least, after almost 8 years in, I never heard it used except when talking about what the Navy does, but then again, being on Herks meant never going on the boat.