Questions on storage

I know I may be jumping the gun a little but this has been bothering me. I am in the application process for AF reserve and was wondering whether I will need to get rid of all my stuff or will the AF store it for me. I currently own a house with a furnished living room and bedroom. The other furniture is junk so I will just trash it but the other stuff I worked hard to pay for. I also have a car and a motorcycle. My question is since I am single I know I will prob get a small furnished dorm in UPT, but will the military pay for moving my stuff and store it?? I only ask because I know when my mother joined the AF as a nurse about 10 years ago they moved and stored her furniture. So I was wondering if they still do this or am I going to have to cut my losses and have a garage sale?

Guest C-21 Pilot

The AF will store your stuff in what's commonly known as "non-temp" storage.

You will (or should) receive a TMO brief prior to your departure, and if not, you should notify your gaining UPT bases' TMO inbound department.

The only kicker that I know is that once it's in the non-temp storage, you cannot get a single item out - you must take everything out.

Here's the numbers for the UPT bases TMO folks:

Vance

Comm: 580-213-7470

Fax: 580-213-7437

DSN: 448-7470

Columbus

Comm: 662-434-2849

DSN: 742-2849

Laughlin

Comm: 830 298-5206

DSN: 732-5206

Sheppard

Comm: 940-676-5291/5286

DSN: 736-5291/5286

Whiting

Comm: 850-623-7305

Moody

Comm: 229-257-3051

DSN 460-3051

-Cheers

Guest 130Nav

Guard people can store their own household goods and get reimbursed for the cost. Just depends on what is easier and whether you may need to get in there. All things to ask about during your TMO brief.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone had any experience with storing your POV while you’re on overseas PCS orders? I’m going to Yokota and the word is the military won’t ship a POV to/from Japan (in addition to cutting your HHG allowance in ½). Corpus TMO gave me some info about government sponsored POV storage. You must be on OCONUS PCS orders to a place “where POVs cannot be shipped or where extensive modification of the vehicle would be required.” I also understand the storage contractor will “perform monthly maintenance, run the vehicles every 30 days and cycle the heating and air conditioning, and move the vehicles every 30 days to prevent flat spots on tires.”

Has anyone had any experience with this program? I’m a little tentative about leaving my truck in storage for 3 years, but it looks like it might be the only option I’ve got unless I want to sell it. Let the horror stories fly…

I left my F-150 in storage at Little Rock while I was stationed at Kadena. I used a private storage company and sent them a check once a month. Luckily for me, I had a good friend take care of it while I was gone for 4 years. I was never briefed on a "storage contractor", they just told me to find a storage place. I had to file a travel voucher once a month with a copy of my orders and a copy of the storage contract with their letterhead on it. I've been told that you can ship a vehicle to Japan as long as it is older than a 1976, something to do with Catalytic converters...although not sure. I've seen a few American cars here. My SQ/CC shipped over a '66 Mustang, although you have to do a few things to make it legal in Japan, adjust the headlights, blinkers on the sides. I'd recommend storage at gov't expense as you keep the miles low and can get it paid off.

But if you're getting reimbursed for it, why not find something covered with a turnover service described above? Three times the cost reibursed is still $0, right?

Is there a max reimbursment?

I'd just hate to leave my car to rot in the elements for a year or three.

Ucf,

I’ve been considering selling it as well. The thing is, it’s an 03 Tacoma with less than 40k mi on it… I’ve already eaten the new car cost on it. I’m not upside down on the loan, so I could come out ‘even’ on what I still owe, but I still paid out the butt to get a new truck.

It’s a Toyota, I was already planning on keeping it until the wheels fall off. As long as keeping it in storage isn’t going to shorten its useful life, I think I’m going to go with that. Then I can return from Japan in 09 and OWN a Toyota with less than 40k mi on it…

I agree, it sucks to continue to make new truck payments on a truck that is sitting in a garage in the US, but I’ll have it paid off when I return, and I’m weighing that pretty heavily. It’s kind of a lose/lose situation, the question is how much will I lose? If I don’t hear any horror stories about govt sponsored vehicle storage, I think I’m gonna go that route.

Another hit you'll take is having a car sit in storage with the warranty clock running out.

I agree with you, Ken, regardless of how you play the depreciation game, buying and selling cars always costs the consumer: the most money-wise move is always to drive a car for 10-15 years or until the wheels fall off.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I am selling my home before I leave for OTS I need to start storing some of my furniture while I fix up the house. I will be keeping this stuff in storage until I finish UPT. I was thinking of using a self storage place or maybe even one of those PODS. The PODS is much more $ but they will save me time in that they will move my stuff for me wherever I need it. The self storage unit is convenient in that I can get things in and out as I need but when I have to bring the stuff when I finish UPT, I will probably have to get it myself. Will there be time after UPT to get my stuff? Is there a preffered storage for military personel? How much of this storage cost will be reimbursed?

Guest jmac2222

UCF,

Welcome to the AF! It is now time to learn a very hard fact, the gov has lots of good deals that you will probably never know about. The AF can actually provide storage for long term TDYs, your's might count. The best thing is to read the DODFTR (Google it). Look for TDY and Storage. Then contact your nearest base and see if they have contract services available. If they do and you qualify, your storage could be free.

I just googled it. Can't find any good information. In fact I did some searching before I asked the question. I need to get this stuff out soon so I don't excpect the military to pay now since it is 3 months before I am supposed to report to OTS. However in order for me to remodel and sell the home the furniture has got to be out of the way. I was just wondering if I stored it now would I get reimbursed for the storage while I am at OTS and UPT.

Pods has a military discount pretty good deal actually for the storage. ($161per month climate controlled) But moving the POD is big $. Just for an idea I asked how much to move it from orlando, FL to Travis AFB and it was $5,000 :eek: . Granted that is a long move. He also said that they can provide me with a ticket with the weight so that the military can reimburse me for the DITY move.

Guest jmac2222

DODFTR is the DODFMR...sorry.

The AF will move your stuff from your house. Best advice is to read the follwing stuff

http://www.dod.mil/comptroller/fmr/07a/

http://symposium.navtrans.navy.mil/pptacalc/CALC_MAIN.HTML

https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/trvlregs.html

Then go to (or call) your nearest base and tell them you are an acession (sp) and need some help. If you get the operator, ask for finance (the comptroller's office).

Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

I remember reading about this somewhere, basically you can ship your HHG's to a specified address instead of putting your extra stuff in storage when PCSing overseas. Anybody actually done this or heard of it being done? I talked to TMO about it and they said it can be done, just wanted to see if anyone's had any experience with this.

Guest kirkhac

I had a bunch of stuff shipped to my folks house before I left for Ramstein. It was no big deal. Apparently, when I get back, they'll ship that stuff back to wherever I end up. If you have any specific questions let me know.

• 1 year later...

I'm a Reservist that just recently PCS'd to my squadron. My HHG is currently in storage for up to 90 days (early December). I am supposed to go on a deployment in January. I'm told the active duty doesn't do this, but I've heard that for a single guy, AFRC will pay for storage during a deployment. If this is the case, I'm considering postponing finding a rental property until after the deployment to save a little money.

Has anyone ever done this or heard of this?

I'm a Reservist that just recently PCS'd to my squadron. My HHG is currently in storage for up to 90 days (early December). I am supposed to go on a deployment in January. I'm told the active duty doesn't do this, but I've heard that for a single guy, AFRC will pay for storage during a deployment. If this is the case, I'm considering postponing finding a rental property until after the deployment to save a little money.

Has anyone ever done this or heard of this?

yeah, talk to your TMO people that handle your PCS paperwork. They will store it, but only while you are on orders. It can be a pain when you are a reservist, since your order probably only go to the end of the fiscal year, then will be extended, and extended, and extended. will have to make sure that the extensions get to that TMO.

it doesn't matter if your single or married...they will store, temp controlled, and will pick it up/ drop it off at your house.