Anyone ever look into the USCG?

Guest GTPilot

Guest GTPilot

Did anyone on here look into flying for the Coast Guard prior to going in the Air Force? I'm not saying that have it better by any means, but it seems they are doing 'real' missions more often b/c there is always somebody that needs help in the ocean. Does anyone know of a Coastie aviator that I could talk to? Thanks.

Thought about posting this in pilot selection, so sorry if it's on the wrong forum...not trying to open a can of worms either on this one...

Guest SuperStallionIP

I think what GT means is that, assuming there are no disaster relief or whatever type of missions to be flown here in CONUS, most of the time the other services have to deploy to another part of the world to fly missions other than training. He does have a point that the CG is rescuing people every day. My interpretation of course.

Guest GTPilot

Man, Scooter should try stand up comedy sometime. I've learned the art of the baseops search...thru a 5-week self study course. I was just trying to get a little more information. I appreciate the link though.

Chuck, of course I think that the middle east is real and probably much more dangerous....obviously. I have a ton of respect for anybody that is serving and especially those that are deployed overseas. I'm just saying that the current/former pilots (which isn't a vast amount) I know, never see action overseas and are training all the time in pre-planned scenarios. Looks like I need to have disclaimers on my posts.

BigIron had the interpretation dead on. Sorry about the cloudy post, I''ll try to be clearer next time.

Originally posted by GTPilot:

I'm not saying that have it better by any means, but it seems they are doing 'real' missions more often

I'm just saying that the current/former pilots (which isn't a vast amount) I know, never see action overseas and are training all the time
Iraq, Afghanistan, every JATWISH in the middle east and Africa. These are all very real missions.

Just remember that every airframe is deployed differently at different times.

I think what GT means is that, assuming there are no disaster relief or whatever type of missions to be flown here in CONUS
How about Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

Guest Jpilot

Before I did AFROTC, I talked to a couple of CG aviators about how the process goes. From what most guys said, most CG helo pilots are usually ex-army. As far as fixed wing, the same guys said that they send their pilots to some private pilot training in New England.

However, their website says differently...

BLUE 21

Hope this helps.

Jp-

Originally posted by war007afa:

Coasties send their fixed-winger guys through Navy training for aviation. We had about one a class or so down in CRP when I was there.

Still holds true. One or two a class, average. They all do primary at Whiting and then come to VT-31 here in Corpus. Right now, they just have the Herks and the HU-25 Falcon jets, but allegedly, they are getting another prop aircraft to replace their Falcon jets' mission.

Originally posted by PhlashNU04:

Still holds true. One or two a class, average. They all do primary at Whiting and then come to VT-31 here in Corpus. Right now, they just have the Herks and the HU-25 Falcon jets, but allegedly, they are getting another prop aircraft to replace their Falcon jets' mission.

Guest GTPilot
Originally posted by PhlashNU04:

The new prop-aircraft supposedly coming online for the Coast Guard in early 2007 according to the Deepwater program is the HC-235. Looks like a pretty sweet ride with FLIR, MMR, and a Rockwell Collins Glass Avionics package. The Deepwater program is upgrading or retiring all of their aviation assets and most of their cutters. Ever since 9/11, the Coast Guard has received more funding than in past years. FYI

Originally posted by GTPilot:

The new prop-aircraft supposedly coming online for the Coast Guard in early 2007 according to the Deepwater program is the HC-235. Looks like a pretty sweet ride with FLIR, MMR, and a Rockwell Collins Glass Avionics package. The Deepwater program is upgrading or retiring all of their aviation assets and most of their cutters. Ever since 9/11, the Coast Guard has received more funding than in past years. FYI