Academy (USAFA) Tips

Guest love2fly

Guest love2fly

Hey everyone, I just recieved my appointment to the academy which I am very excited about. I was wondering if there was anyone on the board here who has been through the academy that had any insight or good information they could share. Thanks for the advice.

Didn't go to the academy, but having gone to a military school, the only advice I'd offer is to turn down the appointment and get yourself an ROTC scholarship.

.......I keeeed, I keeeeed :D

Congrats man, good luck.

Anyone want to help the guy out?

Guest Aces-High

GO RESERVES!!!! No really I don't know. Never went to a military school. But from what I've heard from everyone who has gone to the academy, prepare for a ton of BS. Other than that I guess it's cool. Looks good on a resume at least.

Congrats, good luck.

Guest flecth033

Your subject line says it all, get ready for a bunch of "tips" that will poke at you. They will probably hurt the first year, but you should get used to them.

Get the KY anal lube ready! I suggest valu-pak size, it'll save you money...

seriously though, congrats. You'll have some really cool opportunities not many others get to do (soaring at the competitive level for one)...enjoy them, and don't turn into a tool! Good luck, have the most fun you can.

[ 01. May 2006, 02:30: Message edited by: Chuck Farleston ]

WARNING: Actual piece of advice to follow:

Before you go, make damn sure you actually want to be a commissioned officer in the Air Force and, if you want a pilot slot, make absolutely sure you want to deal with UPT and do whatever it takes to make it through and fly for the military. ...unlike this guy...

Guest Hydro130
Originally posted by love2fly:

Hey everyone, I just recieved my appointment to the academy which I am very excited about. I was wondering if there was anyone on the board here who has been through the academy that had any insight or good information they could share. Thanks for the advice.

Baseops.net msg boards tend to attract ROTC and OTS cadets versus Academy dudes. No sure why that's been historically true... At any rate, you probably aren't going to get tons of Academy-specific nuggets here.

I wasn't a Zoo grad either (4-year full-ride AFROTC scholarship! ), but www.edodo.org might have better message boards fo ya...

If you want general good advice on being a successful officer candiddate (ROTC or otherwise), keep an eye on the ROTC/OTS forum here, check out this thread for starters...

Best of luck at The Zoo...

Hydro

EDIT: original linky no worky

[ 01. May 2006, 09:41: Message edited by: Hydro130 ]

Guest ShortThrow

Get with as many chicks as possibly while they are still an option

Guest Flight

Don't think that just because you go to the academy, you are better than the OTS or ROTC people. We will all be an Officer.

And if you do become one of those a-holes, just remeber this....I got to drink and get laid and just happened to get a degree in the process, unlike the Academy guy's who get a degree and just maybe get to drink or get laid.

Originally posted by Flight:

Don't think that just because you go to the academy, you are better than the OTS or ROTC people. We will all be an Officer.

And if you do become one of those a-holes, just remeber this....I got to drink and get laid and just happened to get a degree in the process, unlike the Academy guy's who get a degree and just maybe get to drink or get laid.

"2" especially to the first part. Don't become a pompus ass and think you are better because you went to the academy. That'd be the fastest way to isolate yourself from other hard working officers and enlisted airmen.

Otherwise, despite my zero experience, I'd just say work hard, stay motivated, and congrats! You should be very honored to recieve an appointment there. Remember, stay humble.

Guest downinthegroove

Having been a stellar SMACK at the zoo myself, I would recommend going in with a open mind. You will meet some of your best friends there and you will also meet a lot of good examples of the kind of officer you do not want to become. Avoid the Honor Guard with all costs. The first year is difficult, especially getting thru the dark ages. Bear down and stay after it, you will have more opportunities than you can imagine. Take advantage of the fact that the teachers will work with you all the time. Make sure you go to them early and often as they will save your life. And remember, you may get sh!t from ROTC heroes, but when they come to the zoo to participate in your programs treat them well and show them that you have a hell of a deal. And NEVER NEVER salute a goofy looking Texas A&M ROTC stud. He looks like a foreign officer and your friends will never let it down. Congrats and enjoy!

Originally posted by Chuck Farleston:

really cool opportunities not many others get to do (soaring at the competitive level for one)

don't turn into a tool!

Now that is a study in contrasts... Vetter, any thoughts?

Guest love2fly

Thanks for all the info and support. I don't plan on being a tool so dont worry haha. Have a visit planned for this weekend where I get to follow a cadet to class. So hopefully I'll learn alot on my visit.

Originally posted by love2fly:

Thanks for all the info and support. I don't plan on being a tool so dont worry haha. Have a visit planned for this weekend where I get to follow a cadet to class. So hopefully I'll learn alot on my visit.

Tell 'em you could use a good nuking.

Guest TomandFle

Oh, I'm sure he's serious.

As far as USAFA goes, be prepared for the new "lights out" policy. Heard that's coming back. They might start singing you to sleep as well. Keep your head up during the summer and don't let 'em get you down. Raid the food warehouse at night in Jack's Valley, and enjoy the Deep Rock. Keep the goal of flying in the back of your mind, but don't let it become an obsession, or it will set you up for disappointment should something happen and you don't get to fly. Just excel while you're there.

Oh, one more thing: GET YOUR CHIN IN!

Originally posted by JasonG:

"2" especially to the first part. Don't become a pompus ass and think you are better because you went to the academy. That'd be the fastest way to isolate yourself from other hard working officers and enlisted airmen.

Otherwise, despite my zero experience, I'd just say work hard, stay motivated, and congrats! You should be very honored to recieve an appointment there. Remember, stay humble.

Guest Flight
Originally posted by B-O-double-Z:

Guest Hydro130

OK Flight,

Yeah, some Academy dudes do leave there with an attitude. Why do you think that is?

Oh, that's right, you're still in college... Allow me to provide some insight...

Academy folks go thru hell there -- yes, dudes like you and I can't understand why someone would voluntarily do that, but that's their calling...

Many of my best bros & sisses from AD were Zoomies -- incredibly sharp, humble, and overall fantastically impressive people...

It's no coincidence that the USAF has been historically "run" by Zoo grads.

By that, am I somehow diminishing the fantastic ROTC/OTS officers out there? No, not in any way shape, or form.... I just ask that you respect the institution that is the USAFA.

You'll have you time with the Big Dogs. Just don't bring an attitude.

Cheers, Hydro

Guest ruckerstud

First off, congratulations. Second, here is my advice on the zoo:

1. Be in shape when you get there, and when I say shape I mean running shape and PT shape, no one really cares how much you can bench in BEAST.

2. As for the first year, don't take anything personal, you are going to be wrong, just accept it.

3. And as for school, if you stay awake in class they will teach you everything you need to know. There are a lot of folks who will tell you if it can't be done by midnight, it doesn't need to be done, and they are right.

4. The other piece of school advice EI (extra instruction) is the good stuff.

Everyone else has pretty much covered to don't be one of those academy guys points.