Staying in the cockpit

Whitman

Guest SpectrePilot

I'm at 11.5 and counting...

(Only had the 8 year commitment. Probably should've gone to fedex some time ago, but I'm still having a good time all-in-all.)

Originally posted by Moosepilot:

No one. People with the 10-year ADSC have only been out of pilot training for 6-7 years.

I know plenty of people who have done it; Most guys are pinning on major at the ten year point, which is when you're usually turning ripe for remote/staff assignments.

I had a FAIP tour, F-15E Ops tour, and am now in an instructor tour. I passed my 10 year ADSC last year.

Guest admjh

Safe&Clear's at 11.5 years and counting ... All other things being equal (and they never are), at what point does the lure of 20 years begin to outweigh the lure of FedEx?

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by Outsider:

at what point does the lure of 20 years begin to outweigh the lure of FedEx?

Day one for me.

Some braniac did the math years ago, based on Airline pay scales from ARINC.

The calculations I saw (pre 9/11): You can leave the AF at 16 years and a few months and still come out "richer" with most major Airlines.

Many assumptions though:

- You invest everything above what your AF salary would have been

- Retire at 60 (mandatory for airlines--minus FE's

- If you had stayed,you took the bonus ($25K/year with the 20 year plan and half up front)

- Assumed 8% on your investments over your life.

- Did account for time value of money

Post 9/11 - Good luck, the airline industry is very volatile and airline retirements are not the same anymore. If I were gambling, I'd say you'd have to get out right at your commitment now and get hired by a major that never goes out of business to make the same amount of cash over your life in the AF (with the bonus)

I'm with Rainman A-10 though...day one.