Touro University

KennyB

A couple of the flyers I’ve talked with have recommended Touro U for an online program to get an MBA. From what I hear they are very flexible with deployments and will also meet the rest of the cost that TA doesn’t provide.

Has anyone gone through them to get your MBA? How did it work with deployments and TDYs while you were doing the classes? Would you recommend their program?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Maybe something I'll look into in the future too...but I just have a hard time getting a degree from a school where the reaction would be HUH?!?!?

Not really sure how businesses factor the school you went to or did online in. Is it even worth gettin an MBA if the school is just absolutly unheard of??? Or is it best to just HAVE the degree?? Just curious, always kinda wondered that?

Guest KoolKat

The point is to get the box checked, without having the time most people would to procure a masters deg.

Besides, why do I give a F about how bussinesses factor it?

I'm curious about the 'free' MBA as well,

BENDY

I am getting my MBA through Touro. It isn't Harvard, but then again they didn't make me take the GRE either. Nor was my undergrad GPA anything to brag about. They have been very helpful and I have heard great things from other people about their experiences with them. So far, classes are divided into 6 two week modules. Each module includes reading a few articles, writing two papers, and participating in a threaded discussion (kind of like this). They send you all of the CD-roms that you need. Its all covered by tuition assistance so yes, its "free". The school is regionally accredited, which is what you want. You can go to the education office and ask them about it. Touro is an approved school and it should be simple.

Originally posted by Bender:

Besides, why do I give a F about how bussinesses factor it?

BENDY

I figured in case you wanted to maybe use the degree or find a decent job after you get out of the AF, as opposed to just going through the motions to "check the box"...just a thought!! But I suppose having it is better than not having it at all....I'll look into it.

Guest Walter_Sobchak

I should be finishing my degree through them in September. The way I look at things, doing the correspondence/online degree is probably the best way to get a master's without impacting the Air Force work schedule. I've got a couple buddies who have started Embry-Riddle programs through the base extention campus and have already run into scheduling conflicts. As far as the name-recognition of the school, there aren't a whole lot of options for an well known school that stays within the tuition assistance caps. I almost went with Colorado State's online program but decided against it for exactly that reason. Touro offers a program that can be completed relatively quickly, the price is right, and they seem to have a pretty good sized military student population (more than half of my fellow students are military).

Gonads and Gumby, thanks for the help. You guys are echoing just what I've already heard... Touro ain't Harvard, but they're a free, flexible way to check that Master's box while working an ops tour.

Cool. Your help is much appreciated.

Guest a_uhan23

Another school is American Military University (AMU). Stays within the TA confines and has several degrees to choose from. Biggest benefit-after you get your masters you can 'teach' an undergrad course (correct a few papers, put syllabus online) and make a decent paycheck. I know of several guys who have done this exact thing. AMU has excellent name recognition in Wash DC and has (or will have soon) a PHD program.

• 4 months later...
Guest hockeymv

Thread revival here, enjoy!

For those old heads who have gotten out or know about the headhunters/outside job market, what are the views on Touro's degrees? I want to check the box so I'm not eliminating career options in the AF. But, if I'm going to put the time in to get the degree, I want it to be worth something on the outside as well.

Force Shaping showed me that the AF can send us packing at a minutes (ok, several months) notice. So, I'd like strike the balance of getting it done, but having it mean something if I have to get an outside job.

Any help/insights/suggestions are appreciated. I have a Management and Marketing undergrad, so the MBA seems to be the logical choice.

Thanks!

Guest FSU_Grad

I just got out of the military in May. I am currently working in medical sales and have worked with many JMO recruiters. I can say in my interview process that some on-line degrees were looked at negatively. I have an undergrad from a major university and MBA from a smaller college and when I mentioned my MBA in the interviews more than not they asked if it was on-line. But the major factor of you getting the job is YOU. It is how well you interview and how well you prepared for the interview.

The quality of the degree matters more than the method of delivery (i.e. online). Roger Cameron, of Cameron-Brooks headhunting fame, personally told me that an MBA from a school like Duke is regarded much more highly than an MS in Management from Central Michigan-type of school- and he was referring to the distance learning executive program @ Duke.

Guest FSU_Grad

Agree. Just saying there are a lot of on-line degrees out there which are known by recruiters and companies as diploma factories.

Originally posted by FSU_Grad:

Agree. Just saying there are a lot of on-line degrees out there which are known by recruiters and companies as diploma factories.

Good to know, but it still doesn't help the ever deploying flyer knock out that degree... sometimes you just have to make it work. Do what you can with what you've got.

How many flyers out there had the time to do a "real" masters in residence at a reputable establishment? Maybe I'm missing something. I know a few non-rated buddies who are able to attend an actual school and get a little more exposure to their degree work. Good on 'em, wish I had the time/schedule to do that (and I know that as I continue to upgrade I'll have even less time).

Old heads... am I wrong?

Guest Rainman A-10

If you plane to stay for a career in the USAF you need to fill the square. That's the alligator closest to the boat.

However, pedigree matters once you are on the outside applying for a job.

Civilians will not understand that your pilot training/RTU/weapons school training was more demanding than 18 months at Harvard studying business. They care about the pedigree they recognize and most of them are very naive about the military. You'll have to educate them about your military pedigree if you don't have one from a school they recognize.

BL, fill the square with the best degree you can get but make sure you fill the square.