60:1 Rule in Phase II

Guest RJP

Guest Ryan Paul

I'm perusing 11-217 and came acorss the multiple applications for the 60:1 rule (descent gradients, pitch changes, arc to radial lead points, airspeed conversions, distance from VORTAC, etc...)

When going through Phase II, did any of you frequently use the 60:1 rule? Which applications were used the most and which were disregarded (if any)?

Thanks. Just trying to get a feel for whether the 60:1 rule is simply a helpful learning device or if it is something that is required to be learned and implemented.

[ 05. December 2005, 12:18: Message edited by: RJP ]

I'd say most people use the 60:1 rule in some form or another for the items you listed. Today, I use it mostly for descent gradients, and arc to radial lead points in some minor cases.

In Phase II, I used it for the same reasons during the instrument phase.

Guest rangerbob5

The 60:1 rule is applicable to pilots who go into a bar, find the nearest hot girl and say something to the effect of "I want to screw you".

If said cheesy line works more than one in sixty attempts, the said aviator is worthy of respect.

Guest guardhopefull

It was used in phase 2 at XL. I was required to explain my version of using it on my instrument checkride, so yes you will have to know how to use it or at least explain how to use it. The LSI guys will give you more then enough techniques on how to use it, usually in easy to remember methods. So I would recommend not reading too much into it in 11-217 until they give you a practical explanation and chance to practice it in the sim.

Originally posted by Hacker:

I also use 60:1 operationally when determining how much offset I need on the outbound leg of holding.

Geeky, yeah, I know.

Dude, I do the same for I checks.

Hoser

Originally posted by AFUPTstud:

I just triple the drift for a minute then go back to the outbound heading. Same thing?

Not really. For example, according to the 60-1, at 60nm from a TCN, there is 1 radial per mile. at 30nm, there is 2 radials per mile. So if your aircfaft had a 3 mile turn radius, and you are on a 60nm arc and wanted to intercept the 270radial inbound, you would want to start your turn at either the 267 or 273 radial.

In Hacker's holding example, you would take the DME of the end of the outbound leg (let's say it's 36nm for ease of math). 60 divided by 36 = 1.6 radials per mile. Assume 6 nm at holding airspeed for a 30 degree banked, 180 degree turn, 6*1.6 = 10 radials (assuming no wind).

A quicker way is to just divide the outbound DME into 360 and that will also give you the radials needed for a 180 degree turn.

Hoser