New ABU's

Gravedigger

The uniforms are not to be ironed. The Army ACU's fit pretty well, and there are a lot of good features incorporated. The material is nice. I think the uniform construction is an improvement over the current BDU's. I'll let you guys debate the camo pattern.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by UPTBoundROTCGuy:

I thought the new BDU's were to help the finance people and such blend in better with their cubicles.

Kind of bad to rag on the non-rated types when you haven't reported to your UPT base yet, don't you think?

Guest Goose

I thought it was a nice idea to have something to make us stand out in BDUs. I'm not too keen on the blue tiger stripe but if they're easy to function in then I don't have any real objections.

Guest pucho4pr

May day, may day, may day......

WTF.... If you like being in the Navy, then go to the Navy. Keep in mind, that when you don't wear kakis, you'll have to wear that set of jeans with your name on your a$$. Why is it that the Navy insists on making dudes and dedettes wear their names on the rear?? To complex for me to comprehend.

Guys coming to UPT.... Don't think that you gonna escape from wearing BDUs or even Blues. You will not wear a bag until you earn the right to wear it. Also, anytime you (as a class) decide you are too good to put up with the BS, more than likely you will have to show up in blues and change into your bag prior to the Flight. It is part of the harassment program to keep you all in line. Yep, beatings will continue until morale improves.

Last but not least, if you haven't figured it out yet. Any leader must come up with unique ideas (or what is called Legacy)in order to get promoted. Some ideas are good; some ideas suck. Go figure.... The uniform was changed because we looked like the Army, now we look like Limo drivers. Anybody needs a ride??

[ 01. June 2005, 22:55: Message edited by: 3 Mile Final ]

Guest pucho4pr

In case you all didn't know it.....

Support Personnel don't like flyers at all.

Why?? Very simple. This one guy is picking on Finance People and their uniforms. Comments like that is what gives us the stereotype that we have. Everyone on base (non flyer type)think we are all a bunch of a$$holes because we think we are the most important thing in the AF. Even though it may be true (because without planes this would be some other branch of service), we should not behave in that manner.

Guys coming to UPT, realize that you know nothing. You need to start learning about the real Air Force and how to get things done without ofending anyone. This ain't Flight Sim!

[ 01. June 2005, 23:04: Message edited by: 3 Mile Final ]

Guest KoolKat
Originally posted by Beaver:

The uniforms are not to be ironed.

Only until some schmoe gets done swackin' his pepe early one night and decides he can get a leg up on his teammates by ironing his. LANDSLIDE...then everyone will have to do it.

I was a fan of the Smurfs as a kid, hell, kinda still am (Gargamel rocks!), but the BDUs, not so much.

To tag on to what 3 mile said: those of us just out of UPT...realize that you know nothing..."shut up and listen" is the best advice I've ever been given.

"never pass up the opportunity to keep your mouth shut." (apply this quote in NON-FLYING situations only)

On the BDUs: The pics look like they got ride of the blue idea. Not too shabby and I say let's go for it, because it'll be another 10-20 years before we have the opportunity to get new BDUs (new material, less mx, less hassle) More importantly, I'd like our Spec Ops boys to have the best equipment available!

[ 01. June 2005, 23:41: Message edited by: FourFans130 ]

Guest jmac2222
Originally posted by AFUPTstud:

Called a Seabee cover.

No it's not. It's called a five point or a mushroom cap.

Guest briscoe

I was gonna drop a post about you guys ragging on each other and about making fun of or not making fun of "non-rated" people but decided not to. Wait... referring to people as non-rated... would that not be a slam in itself? Just curious.

Guest Remy1492

PBR got it right on. We just flew a batch of ARmy guys with the new digital army pattern.

I'd have to say it does OK in the desert, but not as well as normal 3 color or MARPAT desert camo.

I do like the pockets and utilitarian design of the Army BDU, much better than the USMC style in terms of usefullness.

Hope the AF steers us right!

Support Personnel don't like flyers at all.

Why?? Very simple. This one guy is picking on Finance People and their uniforms. Comments like that is what gives us the stereotype that we have. Everyone on base (non flyer type)think we are all a bunch of a$$holes because we think we are the most important thing in the AF. Even though it may be true (because without planes this would be some other branch of service), we should not behave in that manner.

Not entirely true, most of us non-flyers understand there's good and bad just like everywhere else (speaking as a former MX guy). Yeah, we have our jokes like "remove and replace stick actuator" etc... but for the most part as a non-flyer support type you ID the @ssholes and try to avoid them...

Also, no it's not offensive to call a non-flyer nonrated (though it only applies to officers really).

I found this in my inbox this afternoon . . .

SUBJECT: AIR FORCE FINALIZES NEW UTILITY UNIFORM

1. AFTER REVIEWING THE FEEDBACK AND ASSESSING THE NEED FOR A UNIFORM FOR ALL OPERATIONAL ENVIRONMENTS, AF LEADERSHIP ELIMINATED THE BLUE/GREEN VERSION ORIGINALLY TESTED AND HAVE SELECTED A DIGITIZED TIGER STRIPE PATTERN THAT IS A BLEND OF GREEN/TAN WITH A SLIGHT SHADE OF BLUE/GRAY.

2. BACKGROUND INFORMATION: THE INTENT OF THIS UNIFORM IS TO MEET THE NEED FOR A DISTINCTIVE UTILITY UNIFORM, TO BE MORE ECONOMICAL AND TO IMPROVE FIT. THE NEW UNIFORM HAS A PERMANENT PRESS TREATMENT AND COMES IN ACTUAL MENS AND WOMENS SIZES. PATCHES WILL NOT BE WORN ON THE NEW UNIFORM. AT THE DIRECTION OF THE CSAF, THE AF CONDUCTED A WEAR TEST OF A DISTINCTIVE TIGER STRIPE UTILITY UNIFORM FROM FEB - SEP 04. THE TEST INCLUDED OVER 700 AIRMEN OF ALL RANKS AT 32 BASES (CONUS AND OVERSEAS). TEST PARTICIPANTS MAINTAINED A DAILY LOG ANNOTATING THEIR LIKES, DISLIKES, WASHING AND/OR WEAR PROBLEMS. THEY COMPLETED THREE SURVEYS PROVIDING OUTSTANDING FEEDBACK THROUGHOUT THE TEST. AT FOUR OF THE TEST BASES THE CLOTHING OFFICE MET WITH THE TESTERS TO INSPECT THE UNIFORMS AND EVALUATED THE WEAR OF THE TEST ARTICLES WHILE RECEIVING ONE-ON-ONE FEEDBACK.

There is more, but this is my favorire part:

THE INTENT OF THIS UNIFORM IS TO MEET THE NEED FOR A DISTINCTIVE UTILITY UNIFORM, TO BE MORE ECONOMICAL AND TO IMPROVE FIT.

What in the name of God and all that is holy!?!

Who in the world thinks that we NEED a distinctive uniform? I can't see how anyone with a functioning brain could look at the current state of the militray (age of the fleet, operations tempo, reliability rates, etc.) and assess a new uniform, that can only be worn in "garrison" (nice word that is, much like the queer hat, stolen from the Marines I think), as a need.

Guest Wxpunk

The digital pixel pattern was tested to be superior in breaking up forms. I saw a Discovery Channel show on the research and development of these uniforms.

The Army and Marines have both desert and standard digital patterns which have been battle tested to be outstanding against the desert and forrest environments...standard environments for the Army and Marines.

The Air Force designed their color pattern with their environment in mind. That way if you accidentally fall off your C-130 on a gray, overcast day, the enemy won't know you're coming until they hear the thud.

Brilliant!

-------------

Wxpunk

The Air Force designed their color pattern with their environment in mind. That way if you accidentally fall off your C-130 on a gray, overcast day, the enemy won't know you're coming until they hear the thud.
LMAO

Guest jmac2222

I already submitted this to my local idea program, but why dont we just issue the desert version in boot camp? Why dont we wear the desert version al the time. It is pretty obvious at this point that a war in western europe is not likely to errupt anytime soon so why cant we start addressing that in the issuance of our gear?

It would save the military "millions" of dollars by not having to issue an entirely new set of uniforms everytime we deploy.

Guest Wxpunk

Only thing I can think of is that it might send the wrong message to the Middle East. I mean, there isn't that much desert here in the US and if we wear nothing but desert camo it might be interpreted that we are anticipating war in the desert to be the norm.

At least with our old camo, we blended into our own environment (home defense).

Just a thought.

-----------

Wxpunk

So this all leaves me wondering. Will our AF ground operators (Spec Ops,Security Forces, etc...the ones who have an operational need for real camouflage) will they be wearing OUR new uniforms in the desert or the Army's desert specific camo?

On that line, will the AF have a desert version of this uniform? It sounds to me like there won't.

PS: since everyone else is getting new uniforms...when does the new flightsuit come out?

KIDDING!

[ 02. June 2005, 11:57: Message edited by: FourFans130 ]

Guest FangsOut

I don't think they look that bad. I see the point about why spend money on something that isn't broke. Although, how useful is jungle camo anymore? I know I'm just a cadet, but I don't think it would be very effective at all in most airmen's jobs.

Well, thanks to whoever posted the link...we saw the message but I didn't see these pics...

041008-F-5064J-036.jpg

Honestly, they are looking more and more like the Army ACUs that I say we should just wait a couple of years and then start wearing them (teh ACUs) like we did with the BDUs. Seriously, they are a better design and it will make them a lot easier to get as someone will already have paid the design and developmental costs.

If we want to be "distintive," then we need to come up with a way to do so with the basic uniform. Why don't we use velcro nametags on the new Army ACUs (they already have velcro on the shoulders) and be smart and wear the shiny pin-on officer rank in garrison (you can remove it if you go out in the field)? That would be a the cheaper solution, and then we could use all the extra money to fix the C-130 wing problems!

Shit, too bad I'm not the CSAF!

Cheers! M2