New Active Duty studs sent to Guard squadrons?

Finals

Guest Hueypilot812

Hey, thanks for your contribution to this whole inconvenient "war" thing, I'm glad you could find time to wedge it into your busy schedule.

FWIW, this guy might have been a tanker guy for years and had spent the past 9+ years deploying his ass off. Judging by his post, I don't think Pease is his first flying assignment. I'd be careful about making comments flaming some guy for getting a good deal for once. It's a great thing if you can line something up where you can spend more than a few months a year with the wife and kids.

• 1 year later...

Cheyenne, Petersen, Keesler, and Anchorage all have guard/reserve associate units. You would be in the active side, however, with AD leadership.

You put in your dream sheet, then you go into the office on the big day and pick in order of merit based on NSS in your class. So, even if you finagle some drug deal and have one of these in the drop, you must rank higher than your classmates or they must desire something else.

So calling up the Baltimore guard to see if they'll take a new guy for the 27 isn't an option?

Where are you in the UPT process (if at all)? Because it's kinda scary if you are actually flying and don't have any clue how this process works...

If you want to work for a ANG or Reserve unit you should apply there. Much much smaller odds you will get an associate unit in your drop, smaller odds it will be the one you want.

(I am part of an associate unit FYI)

I'm a few weeks out from finishing T-44s. The dream sheets I've seen all say "Any Guard Unit" for location and "Varies" for aircraft in addition to having Keesler and Cheyenne listed. No one seems to know how this process works though, so I was just looking for some more info on it.

I'm a few weeks out from finishing T-44s. The dream sheets I've seen all say "Any Guard Unit" for location and "Varies" for aircraft in addition to having Keesler and Cheyenne listed. No one seems to know how this process works though, so I was just looking for some more info on it.

Oh, touché then. T-1's it was very straight forward.

T-44's...no idea.

Guest Crew Report

Cheyenne (ANG) is a great unit. So is Peterson (AFRC).

The line that says "Any Guard Unit" is for the dudes who have been sent to UPT by their guard units. It doesn't mean that as an AD guy you can go to "Any Guard Unit." There's a couple of exceptions like Cheyenne and C-Springs. There's probably threads about each of these units. The NCOs know how the process works, ask them if you need more clarifications but: Everyone in your class fills out a dream sheet ranking their top 5 prefs by Location, then aircraft at that location if there are multiple. Then the NCOs and officers in the AF office work on the drop. On your drop day you'll be with your class in a room, with no knowledge of your rank in the class. They'll call the number 1 guy in and he'll go into the other room and pick his assignment from whats available. If there are 5 studs in your class, there will be 5 planes with locations. You just go down the line and remember that they combine VT-31 and 35 for the drops so there will be more studs in your class than you realize. Good luck.

• 1 month later...
Guest Ybloc

The line that says "Any Guard Unit" is for the dudes who have been sent to UPT by their guard units.

Just had my drop in Corpus two days ago. Not everyone in the class fills out a dream sheet, only the AD studs who were selecting. There is a choice of 'any guard base', 'various a/c'. The list also delineates Chennye and Peterson as seperate choices. Seems to me you can put it and the AF office will do their best to accommodate. That wasn't my strategy, but it has worked for others. Just FYI.

• 1 year later...

I just dropped -135s to Birmingham on Friday and was also hoping to get a little more light shed on this subject. I've heard there's both good and bad things about this gig. The good being that most of the trips are going to be awesome, deployments are only a few months and you go twice a year. My flt/cc was telling me that being an AD guy at a guard base may make career progression a little more difficult as opposed to being at McConnell, Fairchild, etc., but then someone else in the squadron told me that wouldn't be as big of a deal as a brand new co. Also, what kind of hours can I expect from B-ham compared to dudes at the previously mentioned -135 bases. From what I've been reading, it sounds like the good outweighs the bad, and I'm really excited for it, but any other input would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I just dropped -135s to Birmingham on Friday and was also hoping to get a little more light shed on this subject. I've heard there's both good and bad things about this gig. The good being that most of the trips are going to be awesome, deployments are only a few months and you go twice a year. My flt/cc was telling me that being an AD guy at a guard base may make career progression a little more difficult as opposed to being at McConnell, Fairchild, etc., but then someone else in the squadron told me that wouldn't be as big of a deal as a brand new co. Also, what kind of hours can I expect from B-ham compared to dudes at the previously mentioned -135 bases. From what I've been reading, it sounds like the good outweighs the bad, and I'm really excited for it, but any other input would be appreciated.

Cheers.

First assignment TFI guys upgrade just fine when compared to the Macdill, Fairchild, McConnell first assignment guys. You probably won't sit a lot of 8010 alert compared to the major tanker wings, but you'll go to a lot more different places.

There is more to "career progression" than upgrades....

But, Stiffler makes a great point. And I'll bet you'll have a great time.

Well let me rephrase, I've seen plenty of first assignment TFI guys get Sq Exec, OG Exec, etc.

Just enjoy being a copilot.