Water Survival information

Guest Piperpilot2004

The course at Pensacola is Parachute Water Survival SV-86-A

Fairchild's water surviavl is a different course. SV-90-A is non-parachute water survival and also dunker (For whirly crews). Most likely, you'll go to Pensacola as an aircrew member.

PD

Guest Infinotize

Dumb question: what kind of swimming ability is required for this? Are you expected to be a good swimmer already or do they teach you everything you need?

Guest C-21 Pilot

Just a point,

If you move from one "parachute" airframe (C-17) to a "non-parachute" airframe (C-21), you can attend both Pensacola and Fairchild water survival like I unfortunately did

• 9 months later...
Guest Piperpilot2004

In the AF do you have to go through any water survival courses through UPT? I hear about it a lot from Navy pilots but seldom do I hear about AF pilots going through it (Im sure they do though..?) Is it as hard as everyone says it is? The Navy guys make it sound like they are coming out of "HELL-WEEK" (SEALS). This is a pointless question, I have nothing better to do right now, so why not ask a question..

Guest rotorhead

USAF helo types go through water survival in addition to underwater egress training at Fairchild. We have to swim some set distance (something like a couple of pool lengths) in a flight suit and boots. AFPC pipeline assignments actually has a few folks each year that don't pass this "swim test"....the studs then get several weeks to practice, then return for a second shot. Never heard of a FW failure of water survival.

To clear this up:

I did my mine down at Pcola, it was some of the easiest and most fun training I've ever had. You won't do anytype of measured swimming, just parasail into the water and get dragged behind the Big Dog. I can't say much for non-parachute water survival, but I wouldn't think it is much different.

Navy water survival is easy too. They might have to do some actual distance swimming, but that's their own damn fault for joining the Navy. And that "Hell Week" stuff is crap. Navy guys are famous for their exaggerations.

HD

The stupid thing is that AF pilots that go through phases I and II at Pcola/Whiting aren't allowed to do water survival training in API. It's part of API, all the Navy and Marine studs and AF Navs go to the pool, the dunker, the helo hoist out of the bay, and the mile swim, but AF pilots don't participate. They make us come back after UPT to do the training. Retarded.

• 1 month later...
Guest hockeymv

Your Primary Base (Columbus, Vance, Laughlin, Moody or PCola) should have you go do Water Survival TDY enroute to NAS CC. At least, that's how they've been taking care of the majority of students.

It is a requirement for AF Studs to have completed water survival before beginning training. (Officially they ask for a certificate, but I don't remember dropping one off and no one has hassled me this far.) But, they pretty much expect it from all the AF guys. (Navy guys all get theirs in API.)

• 3 years later...
Guest Nav_Guy

Bump.

I'm headed down to Water Survival soon and I was wondering if anyone had any updated gouge as in things to bring, wear, etc. Thanks.

-Nav_Guy

One flightsuit, swimsuit, PT gear if you don't want to change back into your flightsuit after the water (I just changed back into the flightsuit...no big deal), shower sandals and clothes to go get hammered in every night. That's all you need.

I don't know what you guys are talking about... When I went through water survival training here is what it consisted of:

1. A 10 mile swim with a jelly fish duct taped to your genitals.

2. A free fall from 10,000 feet with only 4 garbage bags, ball of yarn, and a crochet needle. You had 30 seconds to make your own chute -- or else... A lot of people failed this one -- its why they need so many pilot candidates.

3. The last test was the hardest. They put you in these spandex type wet suits and find the hottest chic instructors they can find to demonstrate the manual inflation of the one man life raft. In order to enforce the kinder, gentler, more politically correct Air Force, if you get an errection -- you wash out -- I mean right there, don't pass go, don't collect 200 dollars. The Air Force is dead serious about professionalism these days -- good luck -- and try to find a baggy suit, those chics are hot, real hot.

I hope this helps.

Guest flyingstix101

You don't need to bring any medical records. The only paperwork I gave them was a copy of my orders. All the information on AF Portal isn't updated yet to reflect this, only on the etca website.

Guest mjk5401

It's cake...Drink drink drink.... If you don't have a car, either become best buds with someone who does, volunteer to drive the squad van and hall everyone around, or rent a car. It's your last great vacation that you get paid for.

Maybe an underwater camera. If you have an MRE, those are nice to eat when you're in your one man raft.

Have fun

Be sure to go to McGuire's and get an Irish Wake.

Guest Chairborne Ranger

a good stogie, double wrapped in ziplocs with a cutter and windproof lighter for the parasail/float on the last day. Then proceed to bar of choice. Downtown's pretty fun... I'd recommend seville quarter if you've never been there. It's got the 8 bars (or however many) in one club kinda thing going (dueling pianos, dance floor, outdoors, etc...)

• 1 month later...

I've been roaming through NAS Pensicola's website looking for the Water Survival Course and damm the squids having some crazy webpage layouts.

I took it before continueing on at Corpus a few years ago and need the course title and for some crazy reason, can't find a certificate of training.

Just looking to see if anybody knows the offical title of the course?

Need it for a job application oddly enough.

thanks

Just an fyi... on the last day when they leave you out in the ocean for an hour or so, do not take off all of your flight suit and lpu and suntan. They caught some people who weren't ready to be picked up when they came to get them. They threaten to fail the people, send them home to their unit and then make them redo the course. I do believe paperwork was issued to some of them (yes, gay i know...not arguing that). If you do decide to take it all off, at least put it back on before they come to pick you up... it's a great morning when all you are doing is hanging out in the ocean, getting a sun tan and watching the Blue Angels practice.

• 3 years later...