Reapplying To Former Unit

It’s a long story, but basically during UPT I decided to switch tracks from fighter to heavy. My original fighter unit is the one that gave me the slot. I went on to fly for a heavy unit. 

I’m starting to miss that fighter unit that I originally got hired by a few years ago. Would I be crazy to try and apply for a rated board with them? 

Crazy to apply? No. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. 

Crazy to think you have a good shot at getting hired? Yes. You had your shot, gave it up [a lot here depends on the long story and how everything was left with the unit], and are now applying against qualified 11Fs, etc.

There are qualified 11Fs who leave the jet who fighter units don't rehire, let alone a non-11F type. 11M -> 11F flow is super rare, but has been done (usually bizarre luck / timing in my experience).

Now, if you truly just miss the unit, I bet there are ways to work a non-flying job with them (again, depending on the circumstances of how you left).

Edited by Tarawa565
  • Upvote 1

So you decided on your own to turn down 38s/a guard fighter slot and go T-1s? That’s not a spear, as there are completely legitimate reasons for why someone may do that. But, if that’s the story in a nutshell, then I imagine you have a nearly zero % chance of flying fighters for any unit. I’m all for “you miss every shot you don’t take,” but don’t have false hope and burn a bunch of energy (or bridges) on this pipe dream. 

What Brabus said.  Also, it’s time for you to start looking at yourself through leadership’s eyes. You bailed on your original unit, while at UPT, now you’re bailing on the unit that picked you up, after only a couple years. Would you want to hire you?  Would you please post the response you get from your original unit here after you ask if you can come back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, O Face said:

Would you want to hire you?  

The North American Blue Falcon (Falco Douchebargensis) is a species pathologically incapable of answering any question in the introspective. You have to be a sapiens to begin to do that. Like giving a book to a chicken, it means nothing to them but it's hilarious to watch.

image.png.b981534c5753cc88dbe2d186c50d7363.png

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, O Face said:

What Brabus said.  Also, it’s time for you to start looking at yourself through leadership’s eyes. You bailed on your original unit, while at UPT, now you’re bailing on the unit that picked you up, after only a couple years. Would you want to hire you?  Would you please post the response you get from your original unit here after you ask if you can come back?

So they responded by just saying that they don’t have a specific rated board, and it’s case by case basis. They are most likely only hiring current and qualified fighter pilots.

12 hours ago, brabus said:

So you decided on your own to turn down 38s/a guard fighter slot and go T-1s? That’s not a spear, as there are completely legitimate reasons for why someone may do that. But, if that’s the story in a nutshell, then I imagine you have a nearly zero % chance of flying fighters for any unit. I’m all for “you miss every shot you don’t take,” but don’t have false hope and burn a bunch of energy (or bridges) on this pipe dream. 

Yes. I was the one who made the decision at the time to change tracks. There’s a lot more to the decision. Lot of it was personal life/dealing with my wife/birth of our first child situations going on at the time. 

I'm sure the chances are pretty low, but I still want to do it, if it happens. If not then at least I gave it my all. 

Edited by Rated Flyer 4 Life

No judgement, we all have to make hard decisions that we didn’t expect to face. Personally I recommend you revaluate the reason you’re seeking to leave your current unit. If it’s because you regret not going T-38s and want another shot, you’re making a mistake (you will burn the shit out of bridges while also not getting into a fighter squadron). If it’s for other life/work reasons, then I recommend you look for an alternate unit that flies the same/similar aircraft. Talk to your current sq/cc about whatever issues are going on, and continue to produce for the unit until the day you leave for whatever is next.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brabus said:

No judgement, we all have to make hard decisions that we didn’t expect to face. Personally I recommend you revaluate the reason you’re seeking to leave your current unit. If it’s because you regret not going T-38s and want another shot, you’re making a mistake (you will burn the shit out of bridges while also not getting into a fighter squadron). If it’s for other life/work reasons, then I recommend you look for an alternate unit that flies the same/similar aircraft. Talk to your current sq/cc about whatever issues are going on, and continue to produce for the unit until the day you leave for whatever is next.

Yeah that is solid advice. Thanks!

Edited by Rated Flyer 4 Life