Young AD Lt with decent scores

Howdy all, I'm currently applying to guard squadrons (fighter only) and just thought I'd shoot my stuff out here to get peoples' opinions! I think I'm half decent, but sometimes you need a second opinion.

AFOQT: P: 98 N: 89 A: 99 AA: 98 V: 84 Q: 99

PCSM: 86 (16 flight hours)

College GPA: 3.3 - technical major

LoR's: 1. Past ROTC Commander O-5 pilot who knows me well

2. Current mentor from my religious organization

3. Current unit commander/boss O-4

Extracurriculars: Informal outdoor sports, drone photography

Overall I think my package is pretty decent and I think if I can get an interview I can really shine, but I know there are a couple areas that could be better like my GPA and flight hours. I wanted to get my PPL over the last couple years but life/work got kinda wild. I didn't get a rated slot in ROTC so I've tried building up leadership and professional experience over the last couple years to go for the AD board or a guard unit. Another positive for my package is that I already have a lot of the things done that a selectee would have to do (i.e. commission, flight physical, clearance, etc) so I'm hoping that appeals to some units who don't want to risk selecting a lemon who can't get a clearance or something. I'm also very familiar with the UPT process/timeline.

I know fighter units are stupid competitive with easily 200+ applicants for a single slot, but I'm confident I have a shot if I can get an interview. What do you think my chances are?

Edited by flyguyinthesky

On 8/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, flyguyinthesky said:

just thought I'd shoot my stuff out here to get peoples' opinions! I think I'm half decent

Holy shit, man!  That’s a rock-n-roll way to get noticed!!  I recommend you walk into the squadron and “shoot your stuff” all over there too.  A dude willing to texture the walls himself is certainly going to be remembered. 

Anyway, your scores are great.  You’re still young, and sometimes prior service can help in the decision process; it can also sometimes be a detriment. You could use some more flight time, but I’m going to give you the same advice I give everyone who asks:

If you want to get hired at a guard unit, go get to know the pilots.  We want to hire folks who will fit in and be a great addition to our close knit group.  The more squadron pilots who know you and enjoy being around you, the better your chances of getting picked up.  Secondly, if fighters are all you want, start there, if you don’t get picked up, maybe start applying to heavy units too.  

I can’t stress enough to you and all the Guard UPT hopefuls out there that there is no secret recipe to getting hired. Great scores, great transcripts, great people, they all start to run together.  If you want folks to remember who you are come interview season, the absolute best opportunity you’re going to get is to get to know the pilots. Whether that means enlisting in the unit, getting invited to meet and greets, showing up at drills, email and call squadron leadership asking to come visit, kidnap their wife and hold her ransom - whatever.  Look, I know it’s not easy and seems weird in today’s age, but that’s why flying in the guard kicks ass still. 

Edited by O Face
I said
  • Like 1

As @O Face said, your scores are pretty solid; even for pointy units. A buddy of mine in UPT was in a similar boat to you by being an O already and wanted to fly (he stayed AD) fighters. He had solid scores, busted his ass in UPT, tracked 38s, and did well enough to now be flying Fat Amy. 

If you're set on getting out of AD and doing Guard/Reserve, O's point to just going to meet the squadrons and being a solid human is going to weigh more than you being hot shit with scores/civilian life extra curriculars/great LoRs. Those help, but they'll aim to hire someone they like and wish to spend time with over someone that is a shiny penny on paper.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

If you're set on getting out of AD and doing Guard/Reserve, O's point to just going to meet the squadrons and being a solid human is going to weigh more than you being hot shit with scores/civilian life extra curriculars/great LoRs. Those help, but they'll aim to hire someone they like and wish to spend time with over someone that is a shiny penny on paper.

Absolutely, and I definitely want to do that. Only issue is so far I think most of the units I've applied to have specified that they're not rushing and not open to squadron visits oddly enough. I've been doing what I can to network over the internet and through connections, and have gotten the chance to talk to some young guys who just got picked up at some of these units, but only here and there.

Going to continue doing what I can, I definitely understand that personality and chemistry is huge for guard units, it's just difficult when the first in-person interaction you can get is only if you get chosen in the top 15 of 200+ applications with no face-to-face time beforehand.

Any advice on dealing with that?

Edited by flyguyinthesky

23 minutes ago, JimNtexas said:

Why fighters only?

There’s a few personal reasons, but it pretty much sums up to just not seeing myself in a heavy. Chalk it up to the childhood “I want to fly jets” and desiring the mission but there’s a little more to it.

I’ve also talked to some people on both sides and visited some AD squadrons and I really jived with the fighter culture better. 

1 hour ago, flyguyinthesky said:

Absolutely, and I definitely want to do that. Only issue is so far I think most of the units I've applied to have specified that they're not rushing and not open to squadron visits oddly enough. I've been doing what I can to network over the internet and through connections, and have gotten the chance to talk to some young guys who just got picked up at some of these units, but only here and there.

Going to continue doing what I can, I definitely understand that personality and chemistry is huge for guard units, it's just difficult when the first in-person interaction you can get is only if you get chosen in the top 15 of 200+ applications with no face-to-face time beforehand.

Any advice on dealing with that?

I don't have any personal advice for that. I just got hired in a completely different environment than today. Currently, we (and most squadrons, from what I gather) are really heavy on new pilots and have drastically pulled back hiring from what was happening Reserves/Guard-wide when I was going through in 2018. Unfortunately, you're just in a tough part of the wave and, even more so, I'd bet lots of squadrons are hiring closer to the vest and going with internally recommended/known folks and non-advertised hiring boards.

That said, the resume is one thing to getting hired, but the hustle is an even bigger piece. It may take you pushing further with reaching out to squadrons than just listening to their "we aren't doing rushes." With your access to Global, you can do more digging than the average bear and have a leg up to reach out to folks in squadrons through research.

Also, as @JimNtexas said, looking outside of fighters is also probably a good idea, depending on whether your view is "any military flying" or "I'm only going to fly Fs." That's only something you can decide, but I'd recommend doing some research, soul searching, and looking into what your career choices are after UPT pipeline. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

I don't have any personal advice for that. I just got hired in a completely different environment than today. Currently, we (and most squadrons, from what I gather) are really heavy on new pilots and have drastically pulled back hiring from what was happening Reserves/Guard-wide when I was going through in 2018. Unfortunately, you're just in a tough part of the wave and, even more so, I'd bet lots of squadrons are hiring closer to the vest and going with internally recommended/known folks and non-advertised hiring boards.

That said, the resume is one thing to getting hired, but the hustle is an even bigger piece. It may take you pushing further with reaching out to squadrons than just listening to their "we aren't doing rushes." With your access to Global, you can do more digging than the average bear and have a leg up to reach out to folks in squadrons through research.

Also, as @JimNtexas said, looking outside of fighters is also probably a good idea, depending on whether your view is "any military flying" or "I'm only going to fly Fs." That's only something you can decide, but I'd recommend doing some research, soul searching, and looking into what your career choices are after UPT pipeline. 

That’s a good point about using Global, I haven’t been utilizing that like I could be. That’s a bummer to hear about units cutting back. My mentality is definitely “just Fs”, which I know really makes it more difficult.

Thanks for the comments though, definitely going to start trying to reach more and pushing for more opportunities to get to know the pilots.

On 8/4/2023 at 6:56 PM, flyguyinthesky said:

I really jived with the fighter culture better. 

I find this difficult to believe. 

Also, @JimNtexas did you a big favor when he asked you that question. It will be asked of you again, in some form, should you get an interview, and I’d recommend you start working on your answer, because here’s your issue…We don’t give a shit where you see yourself. You are hoping that those interviewing you see you in a fighter. See the difference? 

How much longer do you have on your ADSC?  Are you applying to the AD UPT board as well?  

Edited by O Face
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, O Face said:

I find this difficult to believe. 

Also, @JimNtexas did you a big favor when he asked you that question. It will be asked of you again, in some form, should you get an interview, and I’d recommend you start working on your answer, because here’s your issue…We don’t give a shit where you see yourself. You are hoping that those interviewing you see you in a fighter. See the difference? 

How much longer do you have on your ADSC?  Are you applying to the AD UPT board as well?  

Noted, been trying to work on interview prep. In your opinion, what’s the difference between someone you see in a fighter and someone you don’t?

I’m a standard 4-year contract, so I’ve got less than 2 left, and I am applying to the AD UPT board.

18 hours ago, flyguyinthesky said:

Noted, been trying to work on interview prep. In your opinion, what’s the difference between someone you see in a fighter and someone you don’t?

There’s a million different qualities, both tangible and intangible. Sometimes you only get an half hour to decide if a person posses those traits we’re looking for. Us guard guys are pretty good at picking out the person who is going to be a good fit for the long haul though. 

Just remember if you don’t get T-38’s on track select night, don’t pout and bitch. Go be the best you can in something else. Everyone “saw themselves in a fighter” at some point. And there’s been a million dudes who thought they wanted fighters, only to end up loving what they got instead. 

4 hours ago, O Face said:

There’s a million different qualities, both tangible and intangible. Sometimes you only get an half hour to decide if a person posses those traits we’re looking for. Us guard guys are pretty good at picking out the person who is going to be a good fit for the long haul though. 

Just remember if you don’t get T-38’s on track select night, don’t pout and bitch. Go be the best you can in something else. Everyone “saw themselves in a fighter” at some point. And there’s been a million dudes who thought they wanted fighters, only to end up loving what they got instead. 

Makes sense.

And absolutely, I had to learn that lesson from not getting picked up for rated back in school.

On 8/7/2023 at 11:36 AM, flyguyinthesky said:

One's inside a sleek beautiful machine of death looking at a few fireballs in the distance, the other is dangling in a parachute thinking about how much strange hes gonna get when everyone hears how he took the fat one for lead.  

I couldn't resist 

Edited by Biff_T
Words are hard
  • Haha 1