investing in a jet sim

wikz

I love your enthusiasm. I think unsupervised use of a sim without direct context from a UPT IP, no matter how much you try to follow some YouTube video, is not going to make a difference, and at worse could unintentionally build some bad habits you’ll have to break. I also CFI in civ world, and even there sims have their utility, but when I get a guy who’s done “no context” flying with MS Sim or something like that, it 100% has not helped, and in fact has usually hurt as I come upon mistakes that they self-reinforced while using a sim environment. 

Do the sim because you have fun with it, but don’t expect it to be a measurable help in prep for UPT.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, wikz said:

but who would I be to not dick around and fly 600 knots around the map

Future pilot right here! 

Flying instruments via the sim would help.  Maybe even engine starts and such (if it's the right aircraft). As a dude who chair flew the night before and who woke up early to chair fly nearly every sortie in UPT, having my own personal sim could have been useful.   

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, brabus said:

Do the sim because you have fun with it, but don’t expect it to be a measurable help in prep for UPT.

I totally agree. To be honest, I know that the sim wouldn't put forth too much assistance as far as doing maneuvers etc. ahead of time; but would having your own sim be more useful than chair flying in UPT?

4 hours ago, Biff_T said:

Flying instruments via the sim would help.  Maybe even engine starts and such (if it's the right aircraft). As a dude who chair flew the night before and who woke up early to chair fly nearly every sortie in UPT, having my own personal sim could have been useful.   

With the new technology at UPT, do studs even chair fly anymore, or do they rely more on sims?

Edited by wikz

3 hours ago, wikz said:

I totally agree. To be honest, I know that the sim wouldn't put forth too much assistance as far as doing maneuvers etc. ahead of time; but would having your own sim be more useful than chair flying in UPT?

With the new technology at UPT, do studs even chair fly anymore, or do they rely more on sims?

If you can get a your hands on an accurate t-6a model in the sim, yes it would help. 

"Chairflying" is a nebulous term that means a lot of things to a lot of different people. Maybe it means setting up cockpit posters on a lawn chair and rehearsing the interior inspection, maybe it means shutting your eyes reciting entry parameters and practicing your cross check for aerobatics, and maybe it means sitting at a desk with a map rehearsing your radio calls at different points on a departure.

But anything that can help you chairfly with more fidelity is good. A VR cockpit is better than posters. A thrust master stick is better than a plunger. A screen is better than your imagination.. so to speak.  Please do yourself a favor and find real UPT training materials and do your best to use the sim in a methodical way to practice those. Don't worry about negative training, it's far less of a threat than zero training. Any half-decent exposure you can get to a composite cross check at this point is money in the bank. 

obviously we're all human and will use a dope sim to do loops to music and mess around. But if you're actually serious, here's step 1:

Find a t-6 checklist formatted like this and use it to identify every switch in the cockpit: 

63E1D400-331C-47FA-8DDA-DC6090529501.jpeg

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Pooter said:

If you can get a your hands on an accurate t-6a model in the sim, yes it would help. 

"Chairflying" is a nebulous term that means a lot of things to a lot of different people. Maybe it means setting up cockpit posters on a lawn chair and rehearsing the interior inspection, maybe it means shutting your eyes reciting entry parameters and practicing your cross check for aerobatics, and maybe it means sitting at a desk with a map rehearsing your radio calls at different points on a departure.

But anything that can help you chairfly with more fidelity is good. A VR cockpit is better than posters. A thrust master stick is better than a plunger. A screen is better than your imagination.. so to speak.  Please do yourself a favor and find real UPT training materials and do your best to use the sim in a methodical way to practice those. Don't worry about negative training, it's far less of a threat than zero training. Any half-decent exposure you can get to a composite cross check at this point is money in the bank. 

obviously we're all human and will use a dope sim to do loops to music and mess around. But if you're actually serious, here's step 1:

Find a t-6 checklist formatted like this and use it to identify every switch in the cockpit: 

63E1D400-331C-47FA-8DDA-DC6090529501.jpeg

wow, thank you!! I appreciate the advice and examples.