TIG change in NDAA23

Chida

12 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

What constitutes a break in service?

1 calendar day not in a component. As an aside and contrary to law, ARPC maintains that an “officer’s” membership in IRR is without component unless you possess a reserve commission.

A break in service does the following:

1. Makes you ineligible to meet a promotion board until you have 365 days continuous service

2. Adjusts, by the number of days’ break, your DOR, pay date, R/R date, TFCSD, TYSD, Aviation service date (although this is additionally adjusted for however long you’re not in an aviation status). 
3. Causes you to have a partial yr and thus partial membership points

4. Can cause, if you’re not careful, a bad year, which can lead to a situation where you may not be able to get into sanctuary before you’re kicked out for a 2nd passover.

Beyond those reasons, a break in service just causes your timeline to stretch out—effectively pausing time spent in service.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chida said:

1 calendar day not in a component. As an aside and contrary to law, ARPC maintains that an “officer’s” membership in IRR is without component unless you possess a reserve commission.

A break in service does the following:

1. Makes you ineligible to meet a promotion board until you have 365 days continuous service

2. Adjusts, by the number of days’ break, your DOR, pay date, R/R date, TFCSD, TYSD, Aviation service date (although this is additionally adjusted for however long you’re not in an aviation status). 
3. Causes you to have a partial yr and thus partial membership points

4. Can cause, if you’re not careful, a bad year, which can lead to a situation where you may not be able to get into sanctuary before you’re kicked out for a 2nd passover.

Beyond those reasons, a break in service just causes your timeline to stretch out—effectively pausing time spent in service.

Great info, thank you. I’ve heard if you have any kind of break in service that you can’t start collecting retirement until you’re 60. The example I was given was: if you have a 1 day break in service between a 10 year AD tour and 10 years as an AGR with a guard unit, that you can’t collect until you’re 60. Any truth to that, or do you know the reg where I can find this?

Great info, thank you. I’ve heard if you have any kind of break in service that you can’t start collecting retirement until you’re 60. The example I was given was: if you have a 1 day break in service between a 10 year AD tour and 10 years as an AGR with a guard unit, that you can’t collect until you’re 60. Any truth to that, or do you know the reg where I can find this?

Im shooting from the hip but I’m 99.9% sure that’s bullshit.

As a matter of fact I know that’s bullshit because a guy I was AD with (academy grad with a regular commission) joined my ANG unit after completely separating and he got an AGR retirement and collected immediately.

Go to MyPers under the Retirements section and read up on it. It’s calculated off of points and Total Active Federal Military Service. This should have no bearing on when you are eligible for or collect retirement pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 1

Back to the IRR subject: frequently it happens that a regular officer will leave RegAF and due to whatever reason owes time in the IRR or is otherwise placed in the IRR. Unless the officer takes positive action to obtain a reserve commission (ie meet with a recruiter and get scrolled) he won’t have a commission. (So how can he be an officer?!)

ARPC will have this former officer meet promotion boards until he’s twice passed over and then kick him out of the reserve. If he obtains a reserve commission prior to this eventuality, ARPC will then give him a break in service acting as if he was never in the IRR until he received his reserve commission! They’re talking out of both sides of their mouth on this one and as usual are very confused. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 11:57 AM, Boomer6 said:

That's not true. I had a three-year break in service 2007-2010, came back with a rated recall and was promoted twice and will collect a Reserve retirement when I'm 55 with the RRPA.

//Break, break//

So what I'm hearing is I will in fact obtain a Reserve retirement as an LTC without having to serve the last 7-months in Active Duty service since I have over three good years TIG as a participating Reservist as an LTC...correct?