ACTIVE PSDM 23-54: 2024 Active Duty Flying Training Board

Recaged

1 hour ago, goboldtigers said:

Congrats! What were the best and worst parts of your UPT experience?

Not sure. It has its highs and lows. The program definitely weeds people out and 2.0 was a terrible syllabus so it's hard to say. Best advice is to go in with an open mind ready to learn and be humbled.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
We should now be inside of a month looking at historical releases.  Any new rumors, predictions or outright guesses? 
Last year's was the 11th for CC notification, the 10th the year prior I believe. So yeah, countdown has begun! Que anxious impatient applicants (self included)! If I was a betting man, I'd say there are more slots this year compared to last with retention bonuses still at an all time high for +10yr pilots.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dillonberg92 said:

Last year's was the 11th for CC notification, the 10th the year prior I believe. So yeah, countdown has begun! Que anxious impatient applicants (self included)! If I was a betting man, I'd say there are more slots this year compared to last with retention bonuses still at an all time high for +10yr pilots.

I feel like the last 11 months went by quick and this last month is dragging on. Good luck!

• Like 2

Unfortunately my Group didn't push my package this year; I wish I had found out way sooner that the main focus of the board was leadership and adaptability.

I focused HEAVILY on scores (99 PCSM, PPL, high 80s pilot AFOQT) at the expense of just about everything else.

Fortunately my leadership has become aware and is offering me robust opportunities to present those qualities, but that was an extremely bitter learning lesson.

Future pilot applicants: don't be like me and focus on scores at the expense of leadership. It's what cost me a slot in AFROTC and cost me the board now. Coming from a poor background as well, it doesn't cost extra money to develop yourself as a leader as it does to get those flight hours.

37 minutes ago, Recaged said:

Unfortunately my Group didn't push my package this year

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear that. Does your Wing not send back the packages for you all to submit on MyVector? It’s surprising that they took this long to tell you. The waiting seems even worse with that news.

4 hours ago, simsans said:

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear that. Does your Wing not send back the packages for you all to submit on MyVector? It’s surprising that they took this long to tell you. The waiting seems even worse with that news.

I was never notified.

Not sure what that says about me, but it isn't a good feeling to find out the way I did.

Good luck everyone.

6 hours ago, Recaged said:

Unfortunately my Group didn't push my package this year; I wish I had found out way sooner that the main focus of the board was leadership and adaptability.

I focused HEAVILY on scores (99 PCSM, PPL, high 80s pilot AFOQT) at the expense of just about everything else.

Fortunately my leadership has become aware and is offering me robust opportunities to present those qualities, but that was an extremely bitter learning lesson.

Future pilot applicants: don't be like me and focus on scores at the expense of leadership. It's what cost me a slot in AFROTC and cost me the board now. Coming from a poor background as well, it doesn't cost extra money to develop yourself as a leader as it does to get those flight hours.

Don't count yourself out yet. You submitted your application still, right?

Unfortunately I found out on my own via other means in early November, and it was too late to submit a package by then.

Dropped about $25k getting my PPL, took countless days of leave (many wasted due to poor weather/winds), and sacrificed quite a few leadership opportunities to obtain it. That’s also not including being on three deployments in 2023, one of which required me to fly a few times just to get back to the proficiency level I was at before I deployed.

Again, will have to apply for the 2025 cycle after developing some quantifiable leadership metrics. I’m happy that my leadership has my back, but I would be lying if I didn’t say that this is not a very pleasant time in my life now. I’m not certain if this is standard for my neck of the woods or if it’s me in particular experiencing this. Would have been nice to at least obtain some kind of acknowledgment.

Edited by Recaged

6 hours ago, Recaged said:

I was never notified.

Not sure what that says about me, but it isn't a good feeling to find out the way I did.

Good luck everyone.

TLDR: It doesn’t say anything about you.

I’ve been doing this Air Force stuff for a long long time. I’ve had countless doors slammed shut in my face. Some from bad timing, some from me not being ready yet, but most were from perception of who I was on a piece of paper.  It took me years to understand how important it was to build your image of performance via your records. I have a feeling this is what happened to you where someone who doesn’t know you, took a look at who you are on a piece of paper and made a call off that.   Unfortunately that is how a lot of promotions, awards, and other opportunities are judged. 

If I were in your shoes I would first enjoy the holidays. Then on Jan 3rd I would have a sit down with my Commander, reviewing the entire package and asking what needed the most improvement. If it was your writing on personal statements, create a rough draft and send it to 10 people you care about and ask their honest feedback. If they tell you it looks good, tell them to look harder.  

Chasing your dreams has a mixture of drive and being humble. You need to make sure you have the gas peddle all the way down while still understanding that your package can always be improved. Seeking that feedback to where people trust that you will not become defensive, upset, or ignore them is huge because that is where you are going to receive their honest thoughts which will improve your package.

Edited by simsans
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2023 at 12:09 AM, Recaged said:

Unfortunately I found out on my own via other means in early November, and it was too late to submit a package by then.

Dropped about $25k getting my PPL, took countless days of leave (many wasted due to poor weather/winds), and sacrificed quite a few leadership opportunities to obtain it. That’s also not including being on three deployments in 2023, one of which required me to fly a few times just to get back to the proficiency level I was at before I deployed.

Again, will have to apply for the 2025 cycle after developing some quantifiable leadership metrics. I’m happy that my leadership has my back, but I would be lying if I didn’t say that this is not a very pleasant time in my life now. I’m not certain if this is standard for my neck of the woods or if it’s me in particular experiencing this. Would have been nice to at least obtain some kind of acknowledgment.

The only thing leadership did on my behalf was sign my letter of rec & my AF215. From my understanding it’s our responsibility to submit everything signed via MyVector.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 11:09 PM, Recaged said:

Consider yourself lucky and start applying to ANG units. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/22/2023 at 6:48 PM, Recaged said:

Unfortunately my Group didn't push my package this year......

What does that mean, exactly?  Did your application get lost somewhere in the admin world within your Group?  Or did your leadership tell you "Thanks for the application, we'll get it submitted," and just never did?

On 12/24/2023 at 10:17 AM, FloridaMan26 said:

The only thing leadership did on my behalf was sign my letter of rec & my AF215. From my understanding it’s our responsibility to submit everything signed via MyVector.

This is correct. At the end, it’s up to us to submit the entire package on myvector. No one should care about this package more than the applicant. I was pinging the wing exec to make sure my docs were signed and g2g two weeks prior to suspense. also even contacted Mr. Cateano at afpc to double check my package was received and g2g as well. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 5:48 PM, Recaged said:

If the guard/reserves interests you, I'd highly recommend checking out https://milrecruiter.com/afrc-uft-selectionboards/.  My buddy that was not selected last year applied this year to reserves and found out he was picked up weeks later.  Their next application is due 31 Dec (five days from today).  There is an option to apply unsponsored with your PCSM being above 90.  There are a couple other things too (no ETPs and willing to fly any tanker/transport aircraft with the reserves).  

Im not too keen on the process, so I don't have all the data, but I have explored the option as a backup plan.  A few things I do know is they hold a board in October, January, April, and July, and results are typically pushed out the same month the board convenes.

Good luck, dude!  I hope everything works out.  Sounds like you've been working your a** off to get a slot!

Edited by Nightmare2773
  • Thanks 1

By not getting picked up AD, thus incurring another 10 yrs AD.  Go guard…it’s way better.  I didn’t think that would require much elaboration. 
I was initially confused as well, but I see your point. However, I myself looked deeply into going guard, and getting in the door feels much more difficult than it is for active. I'm roughly 32, and live next to a C130 guard unit, but have no desire to fly them and knew what i was getting into with the 10 year commitment when applying this way. There is a laundry list of obstacles required to go guard, especially to a unit not local. But if the stars aligned just right for the right people, I'd understand. But I think everyone on this chat is looking forward to good news about getting picked up for active duty. Not sure if "Lucky" is the right word, but I see what you were aiming at.

1 hour ago, O Face said:

By not getting picked up AD, thus incurring another 10 yrs AD.  Go guard…it’s way better.  I didn’t think that would require much elaboration. 

Think you’re in the wrong forum buddy. Go find an ANG forum lol

10 minutes ago, LeeLue said:

Think you’re in the wrong forum buddy. Go find an ANG forum lol

Holy shit!  You’re right!!  My bad. Have fun planning next year’s Christmas party. I hope that gets you the leadership opportunities necessary for a pilot slot. I was just offering some free advice to someone who just got kicked in the nuts and gets to wait around another year for an AD pilot slot, from a guy who has experience in both AD/ANG, and can unequivocally tell you (along with everyone else), that you might want to spend this next year applying to Guard and Res units too. Nevermind, I’m sure you’ll figure it out on your own. 

• Like 1