On 9/20/2022 at 1:09 PM, Polar Bear said:

Any insight on how difficult bumming is currently on the heavy side? 

Super subjective question and your answers are going to vary greatly depending on a multitude of different factors, such as: airframe, state, rank, guard or reserve, deployment or stateside, income requirements, just to name a few.  That’s why you didn’t get any responses. Every unit is going to be different. One place may have no copilots bumming because they all went to the regionals and another unit may have 20 full time bums. So to answer your question, like everything in the guard…it just depends. 

• Upvote 1

I'd like to add - even valid and correct information you get is subject to change profoundly, permanently, and at a moment's notice. There are no guarantees with the guard/reserve world at all. 

I will say, you're probably going to be able to make a decent bumming career, however most units will specifically verify that you have a means to pay bills in case there is a dry spell, or in case others need some additional duty time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 12:06 AM, O Face said:

Not sure I understand your question here. 

Maybe is implying manning is down in the ARC because of airline hiring. Yeah, that’s true to an extent. But he (and others) need to keep in mind days/dollars don’t just magically appear because of this. Wings can argue for more until they’re blue in the face, but they’ll get whatever congress decides to give them via budget decisions. We’re pretty lean right now, zero additional days to help that fact. “Do more with less,” or maybe it’s “go to the airlines now”…one of those…