2023 Active Duty Flying Training Board

Jam

21 hours ago, Flyinghobbit said:

Does anyone know how soon we’ll find out class dates/PCS dates/base locations? 

From my Career Field Manager, I heard March to find out dates, with PCSing "in the fall" for pilot, and March/April for everyone else (sounds like a quick move for these)

12 minutes ago, dillonberg92 said:

By chance, Is anyone now looking at the guard path to UPT? Heavily considering it, with how difficult it seems to get picked up.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Yes. But it’s probably just as difficult tbh. I’m willing to put in the work tho. Everyone’s telling me to go guard instead

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dillonberg92 said:

By chance, Is anyone now looking at the guard path to UPT? Heavily considering it, with how difficult it seems to get picked up.

Ask absolutely anyone who has done AD and ANG and they’ll tell you the Guard is infinitely better, 100% of the time. 

Having said that, ANG slots are much more competitive than AD. We get many, many hundreds of applicants for 1 UPT slot usually. I’m not trying to discourage you from applying, but wanted you to know what you’re getting yourself in to.

Best of luck. 

Edited by O Face
Words
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dillonberg92 said:

I didn't get picked up on the first AD board I applied to and tried the same thing.  Applied to at least a dozen units and rushed the ones I could make it out too.  It seemed way more competitive; several applicants were being greeted as old friends because they've come back to apply year after year.

Whichever way you go, keep at it and don't let this board get you down!

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2023 at 4:34 PM, Shultzy22 said:

For anyone who is a CSO alternate I’ll be declining my spot next week to get a crack at the board one more time.

Got some feedback today from my leadership that it really came down to the letter of rec/personal letter. Even though I had a PPL with a 96 afoqt and 92 PCSM, it seems like a lot of other people were in my shoes. It’s an honor to go through this process with you guys, especially as a non rated enterprise cyber dude. I’ve learned a lot and am definitely not quitting. Time to network and max the PCSM. 

Also something that might not be talked about as a tiebreaker could be someone’s first or second time applying to the board. Not sure if they would prioritize someone who has one last shot versus someone who will probs be back next year. Congrats to those who got it! And for those who didn’t, we have a new year upon us to get after it. 

Can you apply again if you decline it? I thought the psdm said you can't

3 hours ago, goboldtigers said:

Can you apply again if you decline it? I thought the psdm said you can't

You can apply again without jumping through special hoops if you decline it AND don't have an ETP for something (age, TFCDS, etc.).

From the PSDM:  "Those who decline are eligible to do so once and will be eligible for a future UFT board. Those members who had an approved ETP for age and/or TFCSD or had previously declined flying training are not eligible and should be counseled as such according to AFMAN 36-2100, Military Utilization and Classification, paragraph 3.3.2.12.1., UFT eligibility and ineligibility criteria."

That being said, this board was my second application AFTER I denied a selection to something other than UPT with an ETP as described above.  Just talk to AFPC about your situation when they drop the next UFT Board PSDM (Mar/Apr probably) and ask how to proceed.  I was essentially told I just needed to get an "Other" ETP to be eligible again.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elaroh said:

You can apply again without jumping through special hoops if you decline it AND don't have an ETP for something (age, TFCDS, etc.).

From the PSDM:  "Those who decline are eligible to do so once and will be eligible for a future UFT board. Those members who had an approved ETP for age and/or TFCSD or had previously declined flying training are not eligible and should be counseled as such according to AFMAN 36-2100, Military Utilization and Classification, paragraph 3.3.2.12.1., UFT eligibility and ineligibility criteria."

That being said, this board was my second application AFTER I denied a selection to something other than UPT with an ETP as described above.  Just talk to AFPC about your situation when they drop the next UFT Board PSDM (Mar/Apr probably) and ask how to proceed.  I was essentially told I just needed to get an "Other" ETP to be eligible again.

Hope that helps!

This is what i'm tracking too! I did not need an ETP so you can decline once with no penalty and try again. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dillonberg92 said:

I had considered this for the main reason of having your airframe selected before you even start UPT, plus the better lifestyle, etc. I imagine actually getting selected is so much harder though, especially for competitive airframes like fighters/AFSOC, and while everyone recommends it, they do not mention how unlikely selection actually is. It's a long process and from what I hear, they often have people in mind before they even advertise. I'd try the active duty board again, but that's just me

14 hours ago, O Face said:

Ask absolutely anyone who has done AD and ANG and they’ll tell you the Guard is infinitely better, 100% of the time. 

Having said that, ANG slots are much more competitive than AD. We get many, many hundreds of applicants for 1 UPT slot usually. I’m not trying to discourage you from applying, but wanted you to know what you’re getting yourself in to.

Best of luck. 

You are from a guard unit? I appreciate you sharing that and confirming my suspicions about how hard it is to get a guard slot. I makes me feel ALOT better about staying Active Duty and going to the board lol. How did you get your slot do you feel? 

18 hours ago, Elaroh said:

Looks like my MFS date showed up as projected training in my CDB today.  Anyone else see there's?

Nothing in my CDB yet, but I completed an IFC1 at USAFSAM in the past.  From what I understand, they did all the MFS testing back then and I don't need to recomplete it.  My DD Form 2808 stamp also doesn't mention needing to complete MFS.

32 minutes ago, Saint said:

Nothing in my CDB yet, but I completed an IFC1 at USAFSAM in the past.  From what I understand, they did all the MFS testing back then and I don't need to recomplete it.  My DD Form 2808 stamp also doesn't mention needing to complete MFS.

Same I did mine at wright pat back in 2016, don’t know if that’s too long ago and I’ll have to go back but nothing in my CDB now

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Flyinghobbit said:

And for those people who don’t know what CDB is…

CDB = Career Data Brief.  You can find it on the vMPF in the bottom left corner under "Most Popular Applications"

Very similar to a SURF.  There's a block labeled "Projected Training"

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Saint said:

43 minutes ago, Jam said:

Same I did mine at wright pat back in 2016, don’t know if that’s too long ago and I’ll have to go back but nothing in my CDB now

I suppose as long as the 2808 doesn't say you need final certification from MFS, you're good to go.

5 hours ago, AlexLM12 said:

You are from a guard unit? I appreciate you sharing that and confirming my suspicions about how hard it is to get a guard slot. I makes me feel ALOT better about staying Active Duty and going to the board lol. How did you get your slot do you feel? 

I am in the guard now, yes. I’m really not trying to dissuade anyone from taking their shot in the ANG. I just want folks to be aware of what’s actually going on. Most AD people (earlier self included) think the ANG is some sort of weekend flying club and certainly second rate. Of course it took about 10 mins of talking with my new ANG buds at UPT for me to learn I made a huge mistake. 

I got picked up because I was deployed with my ANG unit, as well as exercises.  Get to know the bros  

I strongly suggest any interested in how to get a ANG UPT slot wander over to the ANG/Res section and you’ll find a lot of answers and advice. 

Edited by O Face
Vulgarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, O Face said:

I am in the guard now, yes. I’m really not trying to dissuade anyone from taking their shot in the ANG. I just want folks to be aware of what’s actually going on. Most AD people (earlier self included) think the ANG is some sort of weekend flying club and certainly second rate. Of course it took about 10 mins of talking with my new ANG buds at UPT for me to learn I made a huge mistake. 

I got picked up because I was deployed with my ANG unit, as well as exercises.  Get to know the bros  

I strongly suggest any interested in how to get a ANG UPT slot wander over to the ANG/Res section and you’ll find a lot of answers and advice. 

Maybe it's just in my AD community (F-15Es) but it's well discussed how great of a gig it is to fly in the ANG/Res, and how difficult it is to get hired. Is it true you need to know someone in the squadron? Because if a lot of talented/experienced guys apply for one spot, the only distinguishing thing is if you're already well liked?

2 hours ago, goboldtigers said:

Maybe it's just in my AD community (F-15Es) but it's well discussed how great of a gig it is to fly in the ANG/Res, and how difficult it is to get hired. Is it true you need to know someone in the squadron? Because if a lot of talented/experienced guys apply for one spot, the only distinguishing thing is if you're already well liked?

It certainly helps. Remember, we hire our pilots for the long haul, no regular PCS’ing, so we prioritize getting the right fit.  
Typically applications are lower at heavy units, but they are looking for the right guy as well, as they obviously spend much more time on the road together. 
I can’t stress it enough…Get to know the Squadron you’re hoping to get hired with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ganderly8 said:

AFPC posted the stats of the board on the portal in case anyone else was curious, interesting to see

16 hours ago, Dash1isoptional said:

PCSM score averages went up slightly and AFOQT Pilot average stayed the same. 

Wish they'd provide a board outbrief or something similar.  It'd be immensely beneficial to those wishing to reapply and in mentoring others that want to apply for UFT if they provided a little insight into what influenced selections each year.  Especially what they saw as the key differentiators between selects without PPLs/with scores on the lower end of spectrum from non-selects.

• Upvote 1

Wish they'd provide a board outbrief or something similar.  It'd be immensely beneficial to those wishing to reapply and in mentoring others that want to apply for UFT if they provided a little insight into what influenced selections each year.  Especially what they saw as the key differentiators between selects without PPLs/with scores on the lower end of spectrum from non-selects.
Slightly less than half of the selected members had PPLs...I 1000% agree that an outbrief would be amazing.

• Like 1