2023 Active Duty Flying Training Board

Jam

For anyone who is a CSO alternate I’ll be declining my spot next week to get a crack at the board one more time.

Got some feedback today from my leadership that it really came down to the letter of rec/personal letter. Even though I had a PPL with a 96 afoqt and 92 PCSM, it seems like a lot of other people were in my shoes. It’s an honor to go through this process with you guys, especially as a non rated enterprise cyber dude. I’ve learned a lot and am definitely not quitting. Time to network and max the PCSM. 

Also something that might not be talked about as a tiebreaker could be someone’s first or second time applying to the board. Not sure if they would prioritize someone who has one last shot versus someone who will probs be back next year. Congrats to those who got it! And for those who didn’t, we have a new year upon us to get after it. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 8:54 PM, Recaged said:

Was not selected this year, first attempt.

- 99 PCSM
- 86 Pilot
- No PPL
- 4 of 4 in SQ, unknown WG strat

My next attempt will require an age waiver.

Areas of improvement:

- Better bullets
- More leadership roles
- PPL

I'm disappointed, but mostly in myself. There was some extremely high competition this year, and I'm lucky to have had the opportunity to go for this board. I made them say "no", and will keep doing so until I'm politely shown the door. Until then, I'm recaged and motivated to see this through.

Congratulations to all selectees!

Your scores are maxed , you need Better bullets and Strats man one common thing I’ve seen people have 

On 1/11/2023 at 12:05 PM, AreHar said:

Got selected for ABM, unfortunately is not what I desire and will be turning it down. Good luck to you all!
72 PCSM/ and PPL 

This may be a silly question, but have you re-taken the TBAS a second time, and submitted your hours? Those two things could bump your scores considerably. 

I had a 62 PCSM, submitted my hours & re-took the TBAS (RPA applied for UPT), and it bumped my PCSM up to a 90.

On 1/13/2023 at 11:00 AM, goboldtigers said:

So I sat down with my Gp/CC today to get feedback about what he thinks happened (why Iower stratted guys from the wing got picked up with objectively worse packages). 

Best guess is it was more subjective based on letter of rec and personal letter. The other 2 have stronger bullets by virtue of simply doing the job longer. We are all the same AFSC, but I've been operational only a year, they've been operational 2-3 years. He didn't sugarcoat it, he says mine was "more fluff"  because I just didn't have as many things I could say yet. 

I'm glad I got feedback from him. He doesn't know what AFPC specifically looked at but that's his best guess because all of my scores and numbers on the AF215 were better than theirs. It's encouraging that all I have to do is continue doing my job well for the next year and accumulate stronger bullets. 

If anybody is confused, I recommend getting feedback!

Edit: he also said he would look into the alternate process and would get back to me with any info. I'll pass that along on here when he does!

Were those lower strat folks, that you know, selected because of some all important factors that you could do nothing about ie, race, sex, and or sexual preference?  You know the really critical things to consider when selecting pilots??

Edited by O Face
Clarity
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, goboldtigers said:

Anybody know how many UPT selects there were total? I'm curious if the projected 40 to 70 slots is accurate from previous comments. It'll help me sleep at night knowing I'm an alternate when they had around 100 slots the last couple years. So close...

69 UPT selects

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, O Face said:

Were those lower strat folks, that you know, selected because of some all important factors that you could do nothing about ie, race, sex, and or sexual preference?  You know the really critical things to consider when selecting pilots??

Lol. You are not the first one to ask me that question. You're not even the fifth person. I never considered that but to answer your question, no. We're pretty even there!

8 hours ago, O Face said:

Damn thats crazy, I don't remember the "sexual preference" section of the application... I must've glossed over that

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Shultzy22 said:

Does anyone know if you can put UPT only as a non rated applicant? Not sure if anyone else has done this

No, you have to rank all of them if you are non rated (unless you aren't medically qualified).

4 hours ago, Ganderly8 said:

Damn thats crazy, I don't remember the "sexual preference" section of the application... I must've glossed over that

That curvy symbol at the end of my sentence was a question mark. That makes the sentence interrogative.  I’m very pleased they didn’t ask you all that.  If you actually believe these things are not considered, I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.  

15 hours ago, Shultzy22 said:

Does anyone know if you can put UPT only as a non rated applicant? Not sure if anyone else has done this

20 minutes ago, FlyHI said:

So i only ended up putting UPT as number one. I didn't fill in the rest.

On the board call page on the portal, it specifies you must list all of them unless you're rated. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2023 at 1:05 PM, rpacuck21 said:

Do any of the top winners mind posting their packages on here ? Minus the the social security and ppi

I got Pilot, and here are my scores, if it helps anyone. My recommendation letter was written by an old CC I had, who is an O-5 at the Air War College now

Capture 1.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture 3.PNG

Capture 1A.PNG

Edited by AlexLM12
More information
  • Like 1