AFOQT question

Guest Wes garcia

Guest Wes garcia

My son tried his hardest on the AFOQT and took it twice while in ROTC.  He scored in the 40 for all his sections except the verbal.  Both times he missed the cutoff with the same score.  He studied but I guess verbal was not his strongest.  My question to this forum is if he goes enlisted and decides to go from enlisted to officer will he not be allowed to commission since he took the AFOQT twice at an earlier age?  He is still going to stay in school and get his degree but wants to enlist and try to commission.   

1 hour ago, Guest Wes garcia said:

My son tried his hardest on the AFOQT and took it twice while in ROTC.  He scored in the 40 for all his sections except the verbal.  Both times he missed the cutoff with the same score.  He studied but I guess verbal was not his strongest.  My question to this forum is if he goes enlisted and decides to go from enlisted to officer will he not be allowed to commission since he took the AFOQT twice at an earlier age?  He is still going to stay in school and get his degree but wants to enlist and try to commission.   

I can't answer your question on going enlisted to officer. 

I know of several ROTC cadets that received a waiver for a third retake on the AFOQT after failing the first two exams. I would look into that before enlisting. His best resource for seeking a waiver for a third retake would be his cadre. 

There’s no reason for anyone to score in the 40s on any section with all the resources available. He needs to do a lot of research online as to how people study for it.

I understand though people without a math background may need more learning time for those sections.

Many of the books are helpful, buy as many as you can to maximize TIMED practice test opportunities. Next, make sure you are reviewing the AFOQT materials from the AFPC site.

They have a practice Table Reading grid. Do that thing 100+ times until he has 10 seconds left over. Switch up the questions order. I would give myself less than the actual allotted time. I ended up with 99/99/99/95/99/75. DM me if you have any questions

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
There’s no reason for anyone to score in the 40s on any section with all the resources available. He needs to do a lot of research online as to how people study for it.

I understand though people without a math background may need more learning time for those sections.

Many of the books are helpful, buy as many as you can to maximize TIMED practice test opportunities. Next, make sure you are reviewing the AFOQT materials from the AFPC site.

They have a practice Table Reading grid. Do that thing 100+ times until he has 10 seconds left over. Switch up the questions order. I would give myself less than the actual allotted time. I ended up with 99/99/99/95/99/75. DM me if you have any questions

You do realize it’s a percentile score? Somebody is bound to score a 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk