The cool/interesting thread

brickhistory

A few random and/or cool things happened this week that I couldn't find where to post appropriately, so my intent on this thread is for those items that aren't "WTF," as that, to me, has a negative to shocking connotation and the items here are not that.  It would be great if they were all uplifting, but one of mine is not going to be, unfortunately.

Mods, apologies if these have places to be sorted and I missed it.

1.  NASA flew a freakin' helicopter on Mars twice over the last week.

2. NASA via SpaceX flew a previously-owned rocket and ship to the ISS taking a four-man crew including the wife of the commander of the first SpaceX launch.

3.  An Indonesian submarine sank on Thursday and is still unfound.  Although likely having gone down below crush depth already, the crew runs out of oxygen tomorrow if they haven't.  One of the top three ways I wouldn't want to die.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, brickhistory said:

the crew runs out of oxygen

Smarter Every Day on YouTube did an interesting series on life on a sub. He showed how they generate oxygen by burning huge candles. 

No idea if they have something like that on board. Thinking about the movie U-571 makes me shudder. 

8 hours ago, brickhistory said:

NASA via SpaceX flew a previously-owned rocket and ship to the ISS taking a four-man crew including the wife of the commander of the first SpaceX launch.

Was she on a Space A manifest? Get it? 'Space' A haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2021 at 5:01 PM, brickhistory said:

One of the top three ways I wouldn't want to die.

My defense contractor gig is building these suckers. Some days I just wanna say f this but my brain always defaults to the fact that we are sending 100 people down under, so do a good job no matter what BS is zipping around the cubicle, for the exact reason you stated. Ive flown with a couple Navy officers who took up flying as a hobby, and I have absolute maximum respect for them crawling into the most destructive weapons system ever made. As much as I hate being chained to a desk in solitary confinement, every time I get a chance to step on one I get chills. They are absolutely humbling machines in multiple respects. 

Don't think I'd wish that death on many. Well, maybe Hitler. 

• 3 weeks later...