Flight (Pubs) Bags

Sneedro

Guest lovelacm

Ya know... Royal Bag over in South Korea makes a mean bag... I've got one of those Cenecal (I think that's how it's spelled.. too lazy to get up and walk across the room to check) bags and it's held up for the past 5 years with relatively heavy use.

I also know folks who use the Sandpiper Bug-Out Bag (large black bag that you can use as a backpack or a messenger bag) to carry pubs.

Cheers!

Linda

The Bug-Out bag is the standard bag used by Herc Crews in the guard. I have used mine as 3 day overnight bag, as well has a pubs bag(@The ROCK) You can stuff in the Dash 1, Dash 4, 11-2C130,Checklist, Headset, Tac Flimsy,DR KIT, and still have some room for a jacket. Its only $49.99 at Military Clothing. This bag is well worth the money!!!!!

Guest SuperStallionIP
Originally posted by Sneedro:

Anyone, especially you heavy drivers, know a good place to find a large flight bag to carry pubs in?? So far I am on bag number 2 that I am returning because it is not as large as the description made it seem. Thanks for the help.

CLick on the "Support Baseops" link at the top of the page. Fish around in there. There are all kinds of them. Or try the first link, Baseops T-shirts and Stuff. There are bags in that as well.

[ 03. December 2005, 08:55: Message edited by: BigIron ]

Originally posted by Space Monkey:

Has anyone shelled out the dough for the Camelbak MotherLode Desert Camo or BFM Desert Camo backpacks? These things retail for over $100, but seem pretty sweet.

CameBak has the MSRP, but I've seen them for much cheaper. Anyone have one of these?

I've got a MotherLoad in black...

pl_74000.jpg

I think I paid about $125 for it at the BX, MSRP off Camelbak's web site is $169. The sucker is huge and carries a lot of crap, and it is a very comfortable backpack when it has to be worn for extended periods of time. It can haul "over 2100 cu. in. (35 liters) of gear and 100 ounces (3 liters) of water" according to their web site. However, I have been looking at a BFM, due to its addition 7 liters of carrying capacity (2600 cu in) and additional outside pockets. I have to carry a lot of "stuff" (I usually carry an extra bag as well) and the BFM might hold it all. The BX also sells them for around $150, whereas CamelBak lists them for $199. In case anyone hasn't clued in yet, buy them at the BX! AAFES on-line does not carry them, you get redirected to Brigade Quartermasters, who have the ML but not the BFM. They also list a "military price" which is cheaper than retail, but you must access their web site through CentricMall to get it.

I really like the design and capabilities of the ML and BFM. They are well-built packs and will probably outlast me. The one thing I don't like is the ML tends not to stand up on its own when set down, it carries a lot of weight midway up the pack or higher, so the COG causes it to fall over. That only sucks as it gets set down in some dirty places, and then the whole pack is covered in crap. But the only way I can figure out to fix that would be some sort of internal frame, which would only add weight and reduce carrying capacity; so I just live with it, it is really a minor issue.

But I gotta admit, bags fall into the Cool Gadgets category of things I am always on the hunt for!

Cheers! M2

Flyboys also makes a good bag, also they make the small bags for flip/checklists like Royal-Bag. As far as I can see thay are of pretty equal quality. My Cenecal bag is not as good as my Flyboys. I use my Bug-Out bag for my over night bag.

Originally posted by Five-Oh Co-Pilot:

Flyboys also makes a good bag, also they make the small bags for flip/checklists like Royal-Bag. As far as I can see thay are of pretty equal quality.

The Royal Bag pubs bags are slightly lower quality in the stitching, but more than make up for it in price. The FlyBoys stuff is WAY overpriced when compared to the Royal Bag offerings.

Guest lovelacm

Didja know that FlyBoys actually buys the RoyalBag products (at least the kneeboards for sure) and applies their own tags? Researched and confirmed by folks in my UPT class a few years back.

I'm a big fan of the Bug-Out bag, very helpful for all the stuff you gotta take out to the plane. Clip the helmet bag onto one of the d-rings plus you can put your camelback in the opening that goes against your back. And besides it was issued to us here at the Rock, so I can't complain.

• 1 year later...
Guest ACJ7464

Can anyone point me to the "Cool Gadgets" post. The search function brings me to links to the dynamictruth website.

Secondly, M2 did you ever get the BFM? If so how does it compare to the Motherload?

Thanks

ACJ

ACJ

I picked up a BFM a while back, but as I since retired it now serves as my extended "go bag" that doesn't see much use. I like its extra pockets and it is a bit larger than a MotherLoad (it'll hold two 3-liter bladders), and all in all it holds up to the high standards of the CamelBaks. Highly recommended.

I think the Cool Gadgets thread is dust in the wind...which is too bad as it was a good 'un! Maybe we can start another in the Squadron Bar section of this forum. And while we're at it, it might be a good time to start another gun thread as well!

Cheers! M2

I'm a blackhawk guy myself. I've got two Blackhawk Raptor X-1 Packs. Lots of space, external pouches, comm antennae velcro closures (you know us EWO's always need another antennae hole...uhhhh STS. Has internal tie downs that are nice for dtuff you don't use all the time plus a 100oz hydrastorm, needs a littel knife mod to make it work better butsmall price to pay. I've used my desert one on 5 deployments and it's still 100%, although it may not look like it. Also has the ability to add an internal frame which is nice for HEAVY loads but that's mostly for me and exercise. Nice padded waist belt and sternum strap. Can usually get one for $150 on eBay. I go for quality (why I bought two) when I buy gear.

Cooter

'2' on the gear and gun threads M2

The BFM is a great pack. It's got straps inside to secure a PRC-117 and a hole for the antenna. Wait...that's probably not what you need it for.

It's really comfortable and you can haul a lot of crap in it. It's pretty bulky though. When fully stuffed you'll have a hard time getting it in an overhead compartment, if that's a concern.

Guest ACJ7464
The BFM is a great pack. It's got straps inside to secure a PRC-117 and a hole for the antenna. Wait...that's probably not what you need it for.

It's really comfortable and you can haul a lot of crap in it. It's pretty bulky though. When fully stuffed you'll have a hard time getting it in an overhead compartment, if that's a concern.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the viper had an overhead compartment. ;)

• 1 year later...

Thread revival.

I'm getting ready to deploy and looking for a good back pack.

I was planning on going with a BugOut Gear bag but they don't have an ABU pattern yet.

Anybody know of any good quality bags (preferably available in ABU pattern)?

Much appreciation.

• Upvote 1

Guest L Unit
Thread revival.

I'm getting ready to deploy and looking for a good back pack.

I was planning on going with a BugOut Gear bag but they don't have an ABU pattern yet.

Anybody know of any good quality bags (preferably available in ABU pattern)?

Much appreciation.

While stationed in Okinawa, I bought an Eagle pack (I think it is this: http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php...at=1&page=1). This is circa 2001, and has been exposed to saltwater, Okinawa jungle, and 4 years of college, and is still in great condition. The BugOut bags were the alternative and had more cargo space, but were fairly unwieldy/uncomfortable, and far less reliable.

Sorry to say it looks like they don't make an ABU pattern, but green/black may be authorized anyways (check!)

Eagle products are first rate. If you're looking to carry any sort of weight over any sort of distance, get a bag with a good hip belt. Pick a bag of appropriate size from any of the major backpack manufacturers and you should be OK. I'm talking companies like Kelty that make backpacking packs.

"Sorry to say it looks like they don't make an ABU pattern, but green/black may be authorized anyways (check!)"

Good point. I'm looking for a new backpack as well. If I picked up a bag in sage green would I be able to wear it with my desert flight suit when deployed? The back I'm looking at does not currently have a plain black option.

Guest Cap-10
"Sorry to say it looks like they don't make an ABU pattern, but green/black may be authorized anyways (check!)"

Good point. I'm looking for a new backpack as well. If I picked up a bag in sage green would I be able to wear it with my desert flight suit when deployed? The back I'm looking at does not currently have a plain black option.

I'm 99.69 percent sure that at Royal Bag, you can get just about any backpack in Black, sage green, desert tan and AF ABU. There is another place outside the front gate called Unicorn, where you can get the above colors, as well as Army DCU.

I've got a BFM from Unicorn and it's stitch for stitch match for the Cambelback version, but for $75. I've beat the crap out of it so far and it's holding up great.

Cap-10 :flag_waving: