B-1 Moves to AFGSC

BONE WSO

A fairly basic problem was being pushed off. When asked why, MX reply was that accomplishing the required fix "might" show the fire blanket around the motors was torn, necessitating a red X and replacement. They were putting off basic MX knowing there was a bigger problem.

The fire blankets in the engine bays were notoriously bad and a tiny amount of damage would render them unserviceable according to the TOs. we're talking miniscule tears and cuts in a piece of material that wrapped all the way around the engine. Every time we pulled a motor, it was almost a guarantee that the fire blanket would need to be replaced, oh and guess what, they weren't being made in large enough numbers to keep up with the demand. A 3/4 in tear would ground a jet for weeks. That's the reason they don't exist on the bone anymore. Now there is a chemical that gets painted on the engine bay.

The AMXS/CC here told us he's 80 NCO's short of what he's supposed to have. Another problem for local sorties here is that only 5/7 levels deploy, which means most of them are deployed. That also means a lot of young 3-levels are left to launch/recover your jet at home. One thing that MX needs to stop doing is that CUT program. Nothing is more frustrating asking general Crew Chief questions and having a Comm Nav and E/E troop being the ones that's launching the jet and have no idea how to answer the questions.

In one breath you say that you know about the horrendous making situation on the flightline and in the next you say that you oppose a solid method to help shore up the deficiencies. CUT (cross utilization training) can be a very good thing. There are always one or two shops that either have better manning numbers, or a lower consistent workload. Utilizing that underutilized resource puts warm bodies where they are needed most. It also gives the more backshop oriented maintainers a taste of what it is like to be on the line all day regardless of heat or cold. Granted, the period of time when non crew chiefs are being trained to become a crew chief, can be painful. But over all, the benefits outweigh the negatives (From a mx perspective). Edited by Whiskey_Neat
  • Upvote 1

In one breath you say that you know about the horrendous making situation on the flightline and in the next you say that you oppose a solid method to help shore up the deficiencies. CUT (cross utilization training) can be a very good thing. There are always one or two shops that either have better manning numbers, or a lower consistent workload. Utilizing that underutilized resource puts warm bodies where they are needed most. It also gives the more backshop oriented maintainers a taste of what it is like to be on the line all day regardless of heat or cold. Granted, the period of time when non crew chiefs are being trained to become a crew chief, can be painful. But over all, the benefits outweigh the negatives (From a mx perspective).

The flight line has a horrendous manning situation, however you sound like a MX Officer or SNCO trying to justify a training practice because you're chasing one of your metrics. I'm speaking as a flyer who observes the Comm Nav or Engines troop reading off a card completely, while not looking at the actual aircraft nor flight controls, while doing the control and trim check during the preflight. Where then we have to stop, tell him to get his expeditor, and find someone who knows what they're doing.

• Upvote 2

The flight line has a horrendous manning situation, however you sound like a MX Officer or SNCO trying to justify a training practice because you're chasing one of your metrics. I'm speaking as a flyer who observes the Comm Nav or Engines troop reading off a card completely, while not looking at the actual aircraft nor flight controls, while doing the control and trim check during the preflight. Where then we have to stop, tell him to get his expeditor, and find someone who knows what they're doing.

I sound like I'm chasing metrics because I explained the bandaid fix maintenance has developed to help cover the horrendous manning issues going on?

You want experienced maintainers, a DCC program, and high quality maintenance? Propose at the next fhp meeting that you cut the wing FHP commensurate with the % that maintenance is undermanned. Ex. AMXS is sitting at 78% manning, cut 22% of your flying hours. Do less with less. That will go well, I see quarterly awards in your future for having balls big enough to propose that.

Either deal with the inexperience on the flightline or figure out how to end the skilled labor shortage. You can cut hours out of the FHP, or you can politely ask AFPC to send your wing more maintainers.

You could pick up some bodies if AETC and AFMC went WG or Contractor. That's what they announced for Luke and the F-35. All Lockheed Martin.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/02/27/air-force-cut-18-a10s-from-inventory/24126079/

In addition, the service will contract maintenance for F-35s at the main operational training base, Luke Air Force Base, Arizona. This move "helps ensure enough Air Force maintainers are trained and in place to support the F-35 at initial operational capability and beyond," James said in the release.

Edited by MC5Wes

I sound like I'm chasing metrics because I explained the bandaid fix maintenance has developed to help cover the horrendous manning issues going on?

You want experienced maintainers, a DCC program, and high quality maintenance? Propose at the next fhp meeting that you cut the wing FHP commensurate with the % that maintenance is undermanned. Ex. AMXS is sitting at 78% manning, cut 22% of your flying hours. Do less with less. That will go well, I see quarterly awards in your future for having balls big enough to propose that.

Either deal with the inexperience on the flightline or figure out how to end the skilled labor shortage. You can cut hours out of the FHP, or you can politely ask AFPC to send your wing more maintainers.

Been in this business since 1980, and always mx gets kicked in the teeth and the nuts on a good day. If AFPC decided that all MX Sq's would be 100% manned it would take at least 5 years before you start seeing the benefits, it takes at 7 years for a 7 level SSgt to actually be proficient. But by that time you don't have any guarantee he will still be in uniform or swapped to a ANG/AFRC unit plus you guys now have much more BS queep to put up with. MX QA when on the flight line means all production stops because they are nothing but safety cops for stuff that wasn't a violation 5 years ago.

You have some mx troops who are totally dedicated of giving you the best possible product but they have a system that just beats them down and it just gets worst.

You could pick up some bodies if AETC and AFMC went WG or Contractor. That's what they announced for Luke and the F-35. All Lockheed Martin.

They are already contractor or WG's.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/02/27/air-force-cut-18-a10s-from-inventory/24126079/

In addition, the service will contract maintenance for F-35s at the main operational training base, Luke Air Force Base, Arizona. This move "helps ensure enough Air Force maintainers are trained and in place to support the F-35 at initial operational capability and beyond," James said in the release.

Honest question--how much would contracting out mx really help? Seems to me, if I were LockMart, the first place I'd look to hire maintainers would be AD maintainers (preferably at Luke) approaching retirement/the ends of their enlistments.

Everyone is undermanned. I've been flying for 10 years and when I was new guy I used to fly 2-3 times a week. Now if I get that a month I'm lucky due to the cuts to the FHP. We, as an Ops USAF, do more training now in the sim than ever before. A byproduct of that are sorties are even more valuable for training, checkrides, etc.

Want to retain maintainers? Get rid of chasing metrics, as a leader learn how to hear (and say) no when asked to do something improbable, and bring back certain reenlisment bonuses, and stop making the MX community cutthroat.

Edited by Azimuth

Honest question--how much would contracting out mx really help? Seems to me, if I were LockMart, the first place I'd look to hire maintainers would be AD maintainers (preferably at Luke) approaching retirement/the ends of their enlistments.

Was contracting, they look for experience but in my world it is much who you know plus a good resume. If a WG position its a federal resume with Federal hiring guidelines which G.I. s will get hired, I don't blame them, I much prefer working jets as a civilian than a G.I., I get paid for my time including OT.

Some AETC bases (UPT bases, Altus) already have contract MX. The pros are they run circles around AD maintnenace in job knowledge and performance. The cons are they're insanely expensive to take them TDY, MRT, etc and you're subject to the WG/GS work hours and pay rules.