Best Officer position besides pilot

Guest AirTime

The Army is even more broke then the AF and Navy when it comes to NCIS and OSI. CID only covers criminal matters while CI covers all intelligence matters. What I wouldn't give for the Army to combine the two like everyone else does.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This didn't officially come from OTS nor ROTC, but I was at OTS with a PJ commissioning for CRO.

The word seemed to be that a slot straight out of a commissioning source is a very hard thing to get, but the field is undermanned and slots are somewhat easier (a very relative term when talking about these guys) to crosstrain into. I know that Airfield Ops is a good pathway into that area.

Check out www.specialtactics.com for good gouge on the subject. First step would be stop reading the internet and go run/swim/workout.

Guest viper24

Ill take it as the cadet you are refering to is me. True I am still a cadet;however, having a brother in the career field and living around and knowing many people in the small career field, makes my $0.02 a little more valid than someone who knows someone who knows soomeone who tried out to be a CRO. Im not talking out of my a$$ here.

You do have a point aschmidt23, dont let a forum discourage you from what you want to do with your career. But you also have to live in reality. To be a CRO, you have to have balls of solid rock. They take the best of the best, and do not settle for any ass clown off the street.

Without a doubt, the hardest AFSC to get in.

The point of an undermanned career field is true, but they are not going to start to except unqual people to fill slots.

OK, Ive said my piece, rant is over.

Guest ggeeter23

Any intel officers here? Thinking about applying for an open spot at my base and was wondering what the job of an intel officer consist of?

Originally posted by PhlashNU04:

Aren't Intel CGOs way over-manned (supposedly) and one of the first on the chopping block for "force shaping"?

Yes they were initially on the block for force shaping, but they had enough vols to get out/re-train so they were taken off the block about 2-3 months ago.

Hoser

Guest ggeeter23
quote:

--------------------------------------------------

Aren't Intel CGOs way over-manned (supposedly) and one of the first on the chopping block for "force shaping"?

--------------------------------------------------

Yes they were initially on the block for force shaping, but they had enough vols to get out/re-train so they were taken off the block about 2-3 months ago.

Hoser

Didnt know that. However, am not sure if it is the same for the guard or not. Does anyone know?

[ 09. February 2006, 22:14: Message edited by: Mach2 ]

Guest skipplet
Originally posted by Rocker:

The year I was selected for pilot training through OTS (2003), there were two CRO slots given out. Sounds pretty tough to get into to me, by the numbers alone. That's great that you hang out with all the CROs and PJs, but I just have a feeling for some reason that the prized recruits for CRO aren't UPT washouts. No doubt it's an undermanned career field, and for a tiny minority it could be an option, but I'd bet 99.69% of washouts either wouldn't try for that or just wouldn't make it. Part of my point that is less obvious is that I don't think the type of person who washes out of anything would excel in the CRO field. Just my opinion - don't start ranting again if you disagree. And oh by the way, the 347th RQW is not the only rescue wing in the CONUS.

One of the 2 STOs selected from ROTC last year came from our Det. He said there isn't a set number of slots like pilot slots. They can take as many or few as they want. The physical tests is what make it hard to get a STO slot.

Viper pretty much said all that though anyways..

[ 09. February 2006, 22:06: Message edited by: Karl ]

Originally posted by Mach2:

Any intel officers here? Thinking about applying for an open spot at my base and was wondering what the job of an intel officer consist of?

Everything you would ever want to know can be found here.

Cheers! M2