Shipping car CONUS?

ForgotPassword

Anyone ever done it? I'm considering the option because I don't want to add the miles. I have a short term PCS across the country but will be coming back to the same station after 6 months. Will add +/- 6,000 miles to the odometer if I take the drive.

I understand that the GOV will only pay for it if it's cheaper than driving, so I am looking into paying out of pocket as well.

Any insights or experiences are appreciated. I'll essentially be moving from the pacific ocean to the atlantic.

Edited by ForgotPassword

I've purchased and sold cars,motorcycles, and other large items from across country and used uship.com to move them.

You submit the item, date, pickup location, dropoff location, and your requirements. Haulers from all over the country submit their bid to you. Everyone I've used has been insured and had very reasonable prices.

www.uship.com

Same.

Shipped a car from Denver to the NY VPC for $700 with all the U-ship fees included. Totally painless.

Similar question. I will be PCSing for the first time in two months. Will TMO ship my motorcycle along with my other items, or will I need to move it by other means?

as long as you're not over your allotted weight.

I shipped a pickup truck from San Diego to Albuquerque by a guy from uShip.com. It worked out quite well, and said dude shipped stuff for a living. ...think it was around $450 - can't remember.

The brokers typically use all the same drivers. Just make sure the broker has a good review on BBB in case you have problems and need to file a claim.

I've shipped two cars via open carriers and both times they put a beater car above mine that leaked oil and garbage all over my car. My cars were both new too. If you can pay a little extra to have your car on top I definitely recommend that. Closed carrier is the best way to go but it's usually twice the cost.

I just shipped a car for $1,100 across the country. I think driving 6k miles might be more cost beneficial if you're getting mileage and TDY travel days vs paying over $2K to ship it round trip. You also have to give them 7-10 days to make the delivery and the car has to be available for a week for pickup since the driver isn't just transporting you car and might not know exactly what day he'll come get it. You'll have to add all this inconvenience into your cost-benefit analysis.