FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

I've had a few tonight, so forgive me... But what the heck are you trying to say? "Literally"...you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. This sucks, we all know it, but... this too shall pass. Keep some perspective, play your best hand, prepare for the worse, hope for the best, and have the best scotch on hand when you hear a decision, regardless. You (we) are all more than what the AF currently thinks of us, don't lower yourself to their level.

I've had a few tonight, so forgive me... But what the heck are you trying to say? "Literally"...you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. This sucks, we all know it, but... this too shall pass. Keep some perspective, play your best hand, prepare for the worse, hope for the best, and have the best scotch on hand when you hear a decision, regardless. You (we) are all more than what the AF currently thinks of us, don't lower yourself to that level.

I've had a few tonight, so forgive me... But what the heck are you trying to say? "Literally"...you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. This sucks, we all know it, but... this too shall pass. Keep some perspective, play your best hand, prepare for the worse, hope for the best, and have the best scotch on hand when you hear a decision, regardless. You (we) are all more than what the AF currently thinks of us, don't lower yourself to that level.

We can tell...literally :beer:

• Upvote 1

and the previous Little Rock WG/CC aka SOS Commander.

As a recent Shoe Flag grad, this guy would aaaaaaaaalmost say the right thing! THEN BAM! "Don't argue about reflective belt wear downrange and just wear it!" It's not worth it to make sense, guys.

Edited by ak47
  • Upvote 1

As a recent Shoe Flag grad, this guy would aaaaaaaaalmost say the right thing! THEN BAM! "Don't argue about reflective belt wear downrange and just wear it!" It's not worth it to make sense, guys.

"As a graduated Squadron, Group and Wing Commander..."

Edited by xaarman
  • Upvote 1

HA! That's where we are at in our Air Force. Hoping for upper mgmt to just SAY the right things. We have set the bar so low we don't even expect positive action from them anymore. Just words. And yet they still disappoint.

Just so we're clear, that's not me - it's our current subject's favorite opening line to every brief/comment at SOS.

Yup! Bloviate is right...welcome to SOS...you have no choice but to recieve my lukewarm turds of wisdom.

Yup! Bloviate is right...welcome to SOS...you have no choice but to recieve my lukewarm turds of wisdom.

Every time his arguments could be defeated with his own arguments:

"You shouldn't argue with folks trying to enforce things like reflective belt policies, because that argument doesn't enhance the mission."

Yes...

To his credit, he did repeatedly say "don't go looking for a reason to be offended."

Anyone else think the '05ers are going to get hit pretty hard this time around? Seems like a perfect storm with most of '04 being ineligible and the delay of the '05 promotion board. Ol' blue probably sees a good opportunity to get rid of a lot of guys before they pin on major. Maybe just wishful thinking since I'm an '05er looking to vsp.

Also, what is up with that statement about processing vsp on a monthly basis? Not first in first out, but your best opportunity will be to apply during the first month?

Fingers crossed...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone else think the '05ers are going to get hit pretty hard this time around? Seems like a perfect storm with most of '04 being ineligible and the delay of the '05 promotion board. Ol' blue probably sees a good opportunity to get rid of a lot of guys before they pin on major. Maybe just wishful thinking since I'm an '05er looking to vsp.

Also, what is up with that statement about processing vsp on a monthly basis? Not first in first out, but your best opportunity will be to apply during the first month?

Fingers crossed...

I saw that statement, but haven't seen any timeline besides what's on the VSP pp slide. If AFPC is processing in batches, it would follow that you should know if you're approved within 30 days. The batch process seems like a way to slow the flow of applicants so we don't all apply at 12:01 am. If it's a monthly timeline, I'm concerned about sq & wg processing times if the cc's get an approve/disapprove vote. Even if their votes don't matter, it's still an opportunity to get slow-rolled. Unlike Palace Chase, I didn't see a statement in this PDSM that says cc's must process applications in a timely manner. You'd think it wouldn't have to be included, but that's another conversation.

Good luck with VSP. And for the remaining RIF survivors - what will the promotion board look like? They'll have just cleared out the bottom folks - if they keep promotion rates the same (or reduced) it could get be lot more competitive next Dec - now you'll need a masters, SOS and a Deid "I pushed paper and won the war" bronze star!

zb

edited for posted three times...wierd

Edited by zach braff

USAF theory is that there are ALWAYS bottom-feeders that need to be cut. My year group went through 2 rounds of force shaping by early captaincy and still got cut more by 10% non-continuation non-promotion. Think about that in light of all the voluntary separations that occurred between the force shaping and the major's promotion board.

It is not a VSP matrix, it is a Voluntary Force Management matrix.

From the slide itself, "Being in an AFSC colored blue does not guarantee voluntary program eligibility, and approval is not guaranteed subject to AF requirements."

Just because they aren't eligible for VSP according to the PSDM, doesn't mean they aren't eligible for other voluntary force management programs such as TERA.

Well shit. That actually makes some sense. Thanks.

There's no need to ask him about it. There's a story in the paper on it.

http://arkansasleader.blogspot.com/2013/10/top-storycolonel-calls-on-publics.html

Pretty awesome crossflow program out of the MAF community!

Fighter pilot?? Not according to his bio, or am I missing something?

Fingers crossed...

The numbers of folks in the 05 year group in my career field is abysmal but my guess is that way too many will be cut.

A few items of interest/questions from this debacle that's slowly unfolding...

1. It looks like there isn't any current ADSC's that would prohibit one from applying for VSP if eligible (to include the bonus).. correct? And you even get to keep the portions of the bonus you have earned if you're RIF'd; does this also apply to VSP?

2. Both VSP and RIF programs will allow you to keep your post-9/11 GI bill transfers even if your ADSC isn't complete as long as the transfer was initiated before you knew you were separating.

3. According to the PSDM, VSP'd dudes don't get TAP but RIF'd dudes do, FWIW.

4. We know by now that the VSP payout will come out of your mil retirement if you end up earning one in the guard/reserve. Does the same hold true for the RIF payout?

5. There is some really confusing language in PSDM 13-130 regarding those eligibles who might be PCSing or deploying during the RIF timeline, to include voluntary and involuntary extending DEROS for those eligible and OCONUS. From what I read, expect unprecedented assignment shenanigans if you're RIF eligible and working/expecting a summer/fall PCS or deployment. Additionally, expect even more AFPC shenanigans if you're retained, as they'll need to fill all those last minute empty billets by those who GTFO.

-9-

Edited by Nineline